Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the popular and successful launch of its Yahoo! Weather app earlier this year, Yahoo has released a completely redesigned Yahoo! Finance app for the iPhone and iPad. The app takes some cues from Yahoo's Weather app that Apple used as the basis for its redesigned native weather app in iOS 7.

Yahoo! Finance will be a popular alternative to iOS 7's native Stocks app, allowing users to receive push notifications on breaking stories, sync portfolios and quotes across multiple devices, and track stocks, currencies, commodities, and more.

yahoofinance.jpg
At the center of the Yahoo Finance app are the companies and stocks you care about - whether it's breaking news and information, beautiful interactive charts or real time price changes you can easily follow any company to get personalized information and make sure you keep up to date on changes.

The Yahoo Finance app for iPhone and iPad was reimagined to deliver a beautiful personalized experience with a stream of top news and data based on your favorite stocks and interests. We've added Push Notifications to keep you in the know as important stories break -- so you can make quick and informed decisions on the stocks and companies you follow.

Yahoo Finance includes completely redesigned interactive stock charts to track historical changes, and easily compare performance to identify trends.
Yahoo! Finance is a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [App Store]

Article Link: Yahoo Finance App for iPhone and iPad Updated With New Design

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Come on Yahoo Weather. Daddy needs an iPad version. *rolls dice*. CRAP!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
If it wasn't for the Weather app and Yahoo Answers showing up on Google, I would've forgotten that Yahoo even existed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not only this, but isnt yahoo basically a pretty wrapper around Bing?
That's just for search results--there's way more to Yahoo! (that's not connected to Bing or any other service) outside of those.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Apple keeps half-assing their first party apps.. If they won't take their own apps seriously, perhaps they should make 3rd party apps like this be the default app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple keeps half-assing their first party apps.. If they won't take their own apps seriously, perhaps they should make 3rd party apps like this be the default app.
What's wrong with their apps? Seems like they do what they are designed to do--which is what Apple provides them for (not tons of extra related features or anything like that).

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
That's just for search results--there's way more to Yahoo! (that's not connected to Bing or any other service) outside of those.

Like NOT having Google+ :D
YouTube now forces you to have a Google+ account to post comments. Google is going to kill itself at this rate.

spicynujac

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
I have the yahoo weather app. This is pretty and functional, but I have always liked the Bloomberg app. Does this provide any features that Bloomberg does not?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
What's wrong with their apps? Seems like they do what they are designed to do--which is what Apple provides them for (not tons of extra related features or anything like that).

love answers like this.

from a company that boasts about everything it can its ironic that when its own offerings dont measure up their most ardent apologists claim its because its meant to be that way.

then they should give people the option of choosing default apps

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
Not in UK app store

I wish Macrumors would mention when apps are country specific. This happens frequently that I waste time looking for non existent apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
love answers like this.

from a company that boasts about everything it can its ironic that when its own offerings dont measure up their most ardent apologists claim its because its meant to be that way.

then they should give people the option of choosing default apps
I completely agree about being able to choose default apps.

But as far as their native apps go, what I said pretty much holds. Most default apps on all kinds of systems are the same way. People will often use third party apps for their more specific needs even when a similar (but usually more limited in one way or another) default app exists. That said, sometimes the default apps are exactly what someone needs without anything extra.

Like for me the default Stocks app is perfect as it shows everything I want quickly and neatly. I don't usually care about extraneous (to me) financial information or features when I mainly just want to see the stock prices and some historical trends. Now, for someone who needs more, sure, another apps would be more appropriate.

But, no need to put words (or anything else) in my mouth--no apologies or anything else, just pointing out that this is fairly typical and even expected when it comes to default system apps and that's part of the reason why third party apps exist to begin with.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I completely agree about being able to choose default apps.

But as far as their native apps go, what I said pretty much holds. Most default apps on all kinds of systems are the same way. People will often use third party apps for their more specific needs even when a similar (but usually more limited in one way or another) default app exists. That said, sometimes the default apps are exactly what someone needs without anything extra.

Like for me the default Stocks app is perfect as it shows everything I want quickly and neatly. I don't usually care about extraneous (to me) financial information or features when I mainly just want to see the stock prices and some historical trends. Now, for someone who needs more, sure, another apps would be more appropriate.

But, no need to put words (or anything else) in my mouth--no apologies or anything else, just pointing out that this is fairly typical and even expected when it comes to default system apps and that's part of the reason why third party apps exist to begin with.

intention was not to put words in your mouth.

but 3rd party apps and 3rd party apps are not the same thing. apple stocks costs just as much as yahoo stocks and there are other examples. of course its horses for courses but if apple isnt going to be releasing something that tries to be the best why do it at all? in fact they have claimed that is their thinking.

still we see them throw out products like iwork, maps etc were they are far behind. there is no market for apps that cost the same but provide less.

obviously we agree on allowing users to choose default apps as then its quite possible that quite a few would use none of apples own apps which would be quite damning.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
I don't like the new design. My original settings were all lost after upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.