Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I've got an instability issue - but not with the OS - more with the hardware.

I've got a 22 hour old rMBP 13" that froze on my a couple of hours ago :(

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
10.10 was called Puma. It came out in 2001. The next version after Mavericks would be Mac OSX 11, assuming they continue this naming convention.

Why do we need to keep having this discussion? 10.10 ≠ 10.1, and 10.11 will not be between 10.1 and 10.2. It's not a decimal number in the usual sense; the "." is just there to denote between major/minor/bug-fix releases. Hell, look at the latest version # for the WolframAlpha app: "1.5.1.4833354".

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hopefully they'll fix the issue with switching back to internal display after disconnecting the external one: the notification column looks buggy. Also, minimized windows can't be restored through app exposé. I have to restore them by clicking its icon on the dock.

And, no. No one needs Windows 8 tablet-like desktop, so I expect that Apple won't make OSX look like iOS. But don't care if they make iOS look like OSX :p I think I'd buy a mac surface tablet.

----------

OSX 11 huh?

iOS 8 Malibu

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I hope OS X 10.10 will not be created with the same philosophy Microsoft created Windows 8 thinking that we all now have huge touchscreen displays in front of our desktops. Seriously I installed Windows 8 on Fusion out of curiosity and I was like 'what were they thinking?'.

Tim Cook, October 22nd, 2013:

“Our competition is different: They’re confused. They chased after netbooks. Now they’re trying to make PCs into tablets and tablets into PCs. Who knows what they’ll do next? I can’t answer that question, but I can tell you that we’re focused.”

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
So with 10.10 the Mac OS will be gone and iOS will run on the Macs? :eek:

With the iOS devices Apple seems allergic to the idea of these devices being able to have drives plugged directly into them (like on a Mac).

So here is my biggest fear. I hope that the merger of Mac OS with iOS does not result in EVERYTHING being forced onto the cloud (e.g concept of personal LOCAL storage disappears). I want my data on MY drive in MY house ONLY!!! The "cloud" is a fluffy euphemism for "your data on someone else's drive". This would also mean that when you go to read/write your data, you better hope the internet is having a good day.

Once all personal storage is gone what is to stop the "cloud" service providers from continually jacking rates like the Cable companies? You want your data….PAY ME!!!

Also, privacy issues abound. The only thing the spook agencies (also hackers and nosey cloud server geeks, etc.) can't get to today is the data on your personal drives (unless you leave your computer on and connected to the internet...then all bets are off).

When all data in the U.S. is centralized in the cloud the NSA will have ALL our data as you will no longer have any local data. And the only way to read/write files will be via internet, where EVERYTHING is monitored (already a fact with Prism and NSA leaks).

Why do I feel like I'm part of a flock of sheep watching a fence go up, knowing a fence is going up, but continuing to graze passively? What happens when the last section of fence is installed?

As crazy as this sounds, this is a worry of mine as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
cool... An apple seed..

Two of them ......:apple:

So, the next version will be 10.10 ? What happened to 10.0 ? Someone's starting early... Mavericks has only just came out, and Apple's already starting on the next ?

iBooks are already been "fixed". Apple snuck the update in with iTunes 11.1.3 to allow iBooks to open.. :)

"The next iteration of OS X is said to alter the look of the operating system to bring it in line with iOS 7."

Does this sound good to anyone ?? I know Apples being throwing their weight aboud with Notifications, LaunchPad in Mountain Lion, and now Mavericks, not to mention social networking too, but do we need to further ?

It IS a desktop with a keyboard ...

Just as long as Apple doesn't decide to do touch, to make it operative as a tablet, i'm happy... Unless they take away the physical keyboard, and allow you to Bluetooth...... But you can do that already.

ummm ....

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
They wouldn't adopt the rounded rectangle shape though

Yeah, those just happen to be the icon sets I found from a thread in the Mavericks discussion (and I followed the same design spec with the couple I made like the one for Cyberduck). I like the general concept, I’ll probably keep these for a bit. :)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Very much looking forward to OS X adopting iOS 7's design. ��

Thanks, now I'm looking for a chance to sell my stock. Wish Steve Jobs was alive, even as a zombie, to prevent this.

Just kidding, kinda. I have much bigger reasons to sell.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
I wish the incremental update(s) would bring to my machine (Macbook Pro, 2011, 8 GB RAM):

- Slow startup: it takes about a minute for my Macbook to boot up (slower than Lion and Mountain Lion). I have no login items.
- Mail.app - I have two accounts: iCloud and Gmail. The app is overall slower than before, and there's a significant delay between receiving e-mails and playing the new mail sound. I had to turn this option off as I find it annoying.
- Dock: opening a Stack folder up is slower. Clicking on the stack does not bring the apps included in it instantly as with Lion/Mountain Lion.
- Random beachballs or spinning wheels: they do not affect the notebook's performance, but there were not present before Mavericks.
- Better iMessage synchronization between Mavericks and iOS7.
- Crash Reporter/Logs/Diagnostic reports: I'm getting several logs, most of them called "Powerstats". I open these files up and it says: Signature -> com.apple.SystemStats.Daily. Each of these files is quite long. I don't know whether I should start worrying or not.

All the best,

^MPY.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
By the way, thought I should throw in that I've been having no issues recently except for iCloud mail sometimes not working and the Dock randomly switching screens when I use VNC (whatever). It's been faster than ML. They seem to have fixed lots of old bugs, and the new memory management seems to be working great.

My mom's iMac, on the other hand, accepted Mavericks like rat poison. It destroyed half of the core frameworks like it didn't install properly. I'll bet many of the reported problems have to do more with corrupted installations than actual bugs.

----------

Oh god... that looks terrible. I prefer the way things were in OS X 10.6.8... before Apple iPadified their computers.

They hardly changed the design in Lion and beyond. Just made it more refined. If you don't like the iCloud and iOS-like features for whatever reason, then you don't have to use them. But I use them a lot because they're very convenient, except for Launchpad.

----------

10.10 was called Puma. It came out in 2001. The next version after Mavericks would be Mac OSX 11, assuming they continue this naming convention.

That's not how version numbers work!!! There was a 10.4.11. Check it out.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
please keep that childish (imo) ios7 look away from os x. os x has such a classic design that still manages to look more modern than other os to this day.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

ocqa.jpg

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
These are just internal code names that they use -- they won't be public facing.

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I meant is that I've never seen any evidence they've codenamed their minor releases in the past.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I hope OS X 10.10 will not be created with the same philosophy Microsoft created Windows 8 thinking that we all now have huge touchscreen displays in front of our desktops. Seriously I installed Windows 8 on Fusion out of curiosity and I was like 'what were they thinking?'.

I highly doubt they'd follow the path of Windows 8. Their current strategy of simply making the two work seamlessly and similarly with one another is far superior. They're already very similar in setup if you think about it. The dock on iOS matches the dock on OSX. The status bar on iOS is a simplified version of the one on OSX. The only difference is how you navigate the operating system. OSX is optimized for keyboard and mouse, whereas iOS is optimized for fingers.

Windows 8 on the other hand chose to be slightly optimized for touch and slightly optimized for keyboard and mouse, but doing both in an clunky way.

When I think OS 10.10 or 11, I think they'll mostly focus on unifying design language throughout their products. Right now, OSX looks similar to iOS 6, whereas the iOS devices have the new look. Expect more transparency, new icons, redesigned default apps, etc.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Given that Apple doesn't make any touchscreen Macs, I think we'll all be safe.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I am not sure if Apple would do next version, but when the time come, iOS and OS X will merge together....

Ok, tell me exactly what Apple has to do to make people like you stop repeating this garbage? Make yearly OS X updates? Check. Publicly proclaim that their vertical displays will never get touch? Check. Profess over and over that unlike their competitors they will not try to "turn tablets into laptops and laptops into tablets"? Check.

For goodness sake, this is a company that tells developers that they should completely rewrite their UI when they go from a 4" phone to an 8" tablet because they are so different. Do you really think they will suddenly decide that a phone UI will work on a 27" display? If you want to call someone out it ought to be Microsoft for the tablet/PC mashups they've been putting out lately.

As for keeping the underlying technologies as compatible as possible and moving good innovations from iOS to OS X and vice versa. Of course. That only makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.