Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GTAmissions1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
My friend claims that he has iOS 7 on his iPad which was the first generation, but all the answers I get is that the max for the first-generation iPad is only up to iOS 5 and that is it because iOS 6 and higher require much specs to run efficiently.

I talked to another friend who knows everything Apple inside and out and he says that "my friend isn't telling me the truth because if it isn't jailbroken, then it would only go to iOS 5."

My friend who knows Apple inside and out is probably is correct since I don't think it is possible for iOS 7 to run on an iPad first generation without possible issues.

Just to make sure, it is really true that iOS 7 cannot be downloaded as an update. My friend who has the first generation iPad thinks he has iOS 7, but won't even tell me what it even looks like.

I really like iOS 7. A new look and feel which my friend says "it is the same."

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
iOS 7 is only compatible with the iPad 3 and later. He's either lying or... a really excellent coder...?:confused:

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
My friend claims that he has iOS 7 on his iPad which was the first generation, but all the answers I get is that the max for the first-generation iPad is only up to iOS 5 and that is it because iOS 6 and higher require much specs to run efficiently.

I talked to another friend who knows everything Apple inside and out and he says that "my friend isn't telling me the truth because if it isn't jailbroken, then it would only go to iOS 5."

My friend who knows Apple inside and out is probably is correct since I don't think it is possible for iOS 7 to run on an iPad first generation without possible issues.

Just to make sure, it is really true that iOS 7 cannot be downloaded as an update. My friend who has the first generation iPad thinks he has iOS 7, but won't even tell me what it even looks like.

iOS 7 cannot run on the Original iPad. Nor can iOS 6. He probably has his iPad jailbroken and has a iOS 7 theme on it...maybe thats it. Not sure. Or he is just lying.

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
No, the 1st gen is maxed out at 5.1.1. Best he can do is jailbreak it and install an iOS7 theme.

Edit: Looks like Whacky beat me by a few secs. :p

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

Your so called friend has no idea what he's talking about. As already stated, only iPad 2 and up will run iOS 7.

illusionmist

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2013
Nope.

It's kinda sad iPad 2 still gets the goodies when iPad 1 maxed out two versions before, but iPad 1 is just way too under-powered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Even your friend who knows Apple inside and out is incorrect. Even jailbroken, an iPad cannot run iOS 7. Maybe some intense modding could theoretically make it look and feel like iOS 7, but the 1st gen iPad will never run iOS 7.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Yeah, iPad 1 just won't cut it on iOS 7 or even 6 it would seem. It's fairly slow on iOS 5 even. One of the better uses for it these days (at least for the next day or so) is perhaps to get $200 out of it by trading it in: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/07/target-offering-200-for-older-ipads-until-november-9th/

I just did this with my 1st Gen... Boy, looking at the face of the mobile guy who helped me, I'm thinking he's wishing that Target never started this promotion. Says people have been coming in non-stop since it started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.