Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Samsung in 2014 and beyond: 560 ppi, foldable displays, custom 64-bit processors, 16MP Isocell sensors

Samsung-mobile-components-portfolio-645x357.jpg

Samsung just held its first Analyst Day event in eight years, offering us a glimpse of its plans for 2014 and beyond. Some of the most interesting tidbits coming out of the event concern the advancements in mobile technology that the Korean conglomerate expects to make starting with next year.

Displays

Starting with displays, Samsung revealed that, next year, it will manufacture AMOLED panels with pixel densities of up to 560ppi, beating the current record held by the HTC One, at 469ppi.

samsung-display-560ppi-645x367.jpg

If everything goes to plan, Samsung will move from the current high-end resolution standard, Full HD, to WQHD or 2560 x 1440. A bit of speculation: punching these numbers in a DPI calculator suggests that Samsung’s upcoming high-density display would be approximately 5.25 inches across, a size that wouldn’t be out of reach for the Galaxy S5.

samsung-display-timeline-645x353.jpg

Peering further into the future, Samsung hopes to have UHD (also known as 4K) displays on the market sometime in 2015. While the benefits of such a high resolution display are debatable, Samsung and other display manufacturers are clearly going to push the envelope in this area as much as they can.

Another exciting development in display technology is the launch of bendable and, eventually, foldable displays, which Samsung pegs for the 2014-2016 period. The Galaxy Round, the first curved screen smartphone, is just the first step in that direction, and hopefully we’ll see more interesting designs coming soon.

samsung-display-timeline1.jpg

Camera sensors

Moving on to the other area where electronics manufacturers are engaged in a resolution war, Samsung revealed that, over the next two years, it will launch 16MP Isocell sensors for smartphones.

samsung-16MP-isocell-sensor-645x363.jpg

Isocell is a technology that reduces the amount of light that “bleeds” to neighboring pixels, thus improving sensitivity and image quality in extreme lighting conditions. The first Isocell sensor, an 8MP model, will hit mass production by the end of the year, said Samsung in September.

Application processors

Perhaps the most interesting news coming from the slides that Samsung’s executives used during their Analyst Day presentations concerns Samsung’s processor business. The company will launch a 64-bit SoC application processor based on ARM’s core design sometime next year, but will follow up with an in-house CPU core, similar to Qualcomm’s Krait designs.

samsung-64-bit-custom-processor-645x361.jpg

This is the first time we get official confirmation that Samsung is moving to custom cores for its Exynos line, though we’ve heard rumors before.

Software

Samsung’s hardware timeline is impressive, but the company is also planning to improve its position in software, the area where it’s been lagging until now. To do so, the conglomerate set aside a massive 50 percent of its R&D budget for software development. To improve its software offerings, Samsung has been hiring software experts and establishing R&D centers around the world, to better address the needs of users in target regions.

The Korean company is the biggest Android manufacturer, but it’s also developing its own operating system, Tizen, and is investing heavily in attracting developers to its own platform, including by holding its first Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Obviously, Samsung’s interest is to project an image of confidence and success, but even so, the sheer scale of its technology development efforts is amazing. The company had a $10.6 billion R&D budget in 2012, and, judging from today’s revelations, it’s not going to lose steam anytime soon.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-mobile-technology-2014-314684/

----------

Samsung is really going stepping up. I love my Galaxy S4, but I will be upgrading to the S5. That display should look really sweet. More storage than my current 16 GB model, OIS cam, higher ram, faster processor and possibly a 5.2 to 5.3 inch screen :D

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Interesting read!

The key bit of that for me was "Tizen" - if they are making their own OS, you can tell they are readying to ditch Android and go all out at replicating Apple.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Interesting read!

The key bit of that for me was "Tizen" - if they are making their own OS, you can tell they are readying to ditch Android and go all out at replicating Apple.
That would truly be a downer for me and I won't buy the Galaxy S5 if it only had Tizen. If they would allow the phone to dual boot between Android and Tizen, that would be fine, but not if I'm forced to only have have Tizen. No idea if I will like it and I truly doubt that it would be better than Android.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
That would truly be a downer for me and I won't buy the Galaxy S5 if it only had Tizen. If they would allow the phone to dual boot between Android and Tizen, that would be fine, but not if I'm forced to only have have Tizen. No idea if I will like it and I truly doubt that it would be better than Android.

I was just reading about Tizen.

Basically, it's the kind of thing that could become a reality in a few years - Samsung and a few other companies are behind it, throwing money at it too.

But that's a BIG call to make, considering how established the App Store and Google Play are.

Apparently that's the trouble Tizen is having at the moment - and any app store is only as good as the developers creating for it.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Wow! Foldable screens will be the game changer that I'm waiting for. Also, amoled with rgb subpixel arrangement should quiet the critics of Pentile/diamond arrangements. I myself already have said pixel arrangement isn't an issue with the GS4 and Note 3 at these current higher pixel densities and resolutions. Also having their own CPUs independent of ARM is really huge news considering they have Tizen in the wings. All in all, great news for the consumer. Especially when I update in 2 years. This is why it's better for tech companies to keep moving fast. When we update in 2 years, we have real updates to look forward to. Not some small spec bump.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This makes me excited for the future!:eek: I bet in 10 years, we are going to look back say, "omg, were we really using a 720/1080 screen." :eek:

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010

Basically, it's the kind of thing that could become a reality in a few years - Samsung and a few other companies are behind it, throwing money at it too.

But that's a BIG call to make, considering how established the App Store and Google Play are.

Apparently that's the trouble Tizen is having at the moment - and any app store is only as good as the developers creating for it.

Oh I see. Samsung may have more luck putting Tizen in all there very low end smart phones and flood the market with Tizen that way. Then down the road, they can introduce it on their flagship devices.

I'm just happy with the way things are going. I can understand that Samsung wants more control, but this may alienate some of their customers.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I can't wait for this phone! I like the direction Samsung is going in....they have definite sense of where they want to go. I can't wait to see some of their new products...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Software

Samsung’s hardware timeline is impressive, but the company is also planning to improve its position in software, the area where it’s been lagging until now. To do so, the conglomerate set aside a massive 50 percent of its R&D budget for software development. To improve its software offerings, Samsung has been hiring software experts and establishing R&D centers around the world, to better address the needs of users in target regions.

The Korean company is the biggest Android manufacturer, but it’s also developing its own operating system, Tizen, and is investing heavily in attracting developers to its own platform, including by holding its first Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Obviously, Samsung’s interest is to project an image of confidence and success, but even so, the sheer scale of its technology development efforts is amazing. The company had a $10.6 billion R&D budget in 2012, and, judging from today’s revelations, it’s not going to lose steam anytime soon.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-mobile-technology-2014-314684/

As exciting as new hardware is, this bit is the part that I find most compelling. Samsung has already been including top notch hardware in their smartphones. Software is the one area that's kept them from being exceptional all-around devices so the focus in this area is what I find most promising.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Im curious on how the increase in pixels will translate into everyday usage.

Even right now, the perceivable difference between a iPhone screen, 720p, and 1080p screen is pretty negligible unless you actively try to spot pixels (this is disregarding the fact that 1080p can show more content). If we go WQHD and UD, will there be anything truly noticeable other than how much content the screen could fit? Would the "smoothness" of the pixels be increased or has it already reached a point where we can't even tell anymore.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013

Even right now, the perceivable difference between a iPhone screen, 720p, and 1080p screen is pretty negligible unless you actively try to spot pixels (this is disregarding the fact that 1080p can show more content). If we go WQHD and UD, will there be anything truly noticeable other than how much content the screen could fit? Would the "smoothness" of the pixels be increased or has it already reached a point where we can't even tell anymore.

My next TV will be a 4K TV. My Note 3 already records in 4K. I say bring on the 4K mobile displays. I'm currently recording videos in 4K for when I get my 4K TV in the new year.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010

Well it's not only about trying to spot the difference in pixels, the increased resolution from 720p to 1080p screens on phones are as noticeable as the the difference between qHD and 720p, even through the increase in resolution is lower.

Once we see the screens with WQHD or UHD, we'll then see what we were missing. Things will be extremely sharp and highly detailed.

----------

My next TV will be a 4K TV. My Note 3 already records in 4K. I say bring on the 4K mobile displays. I'm currently recording videos in 4K for when I get my 4K TV in the new year.
That's the way to do it :D. Even if you can't see it now, you save the 4k videos, and you can downconvert them to 1080p to see them on your current set up. Then when you get your new UHD TV, you will have a lot more to see. Better to record those moment now in the best quality possible.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
They need Android, or they're going to fail like blackberry.

Two completely different companies with two completely different corporate cultures. One continues to push the boundaries of tech, and the other never did. Let's not forget the diversity in the product line up as well. But I agree android will be their bread and butter in mobile for the time being.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Hence Samsung recent big api push with developers and remember Tizen runs android apps.

Samsung already has Samsung Apps hub for distributing outside of play store and are incentivising it's usage with a free $30 €30 gift card when signing up from certain handsets.

If they make Tizen operate in exact same manner as touchwiz interface and get most of the big name apps on its own app store, then many customers will find the transition not too painful.

I imagine next year we will see at least 1 or 2 of the major lines Galaxy/Note receiving a Tizen variant in certain territories in order to test consumer appetite.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I actually saw the the darker version of the Galaxy Note 3 in person the other day and thought it was pretty stylish. Not quite HTC One-level, but much better than the Note II and S3/S4 in terms of look and feel.

Hoping those Galaxy F series rumors are true as well and have Samsung focus building premium phones with premium materials. The direction they are going is in the up and up.

That bendable screen is what interest me. Or at least something like the Youm phones I saw earlier where you can see the notification on the corners while a case covers it. I would like to see maybe a screen on the back which wraps around in the front, But a small strip of a screen on the back. Sorta like a news ticker/LED banner or notification center so when our phone is turned over, there is a cool display on the back to show us a message.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I wouldn't mind it if they stopped all other development and put all their money into design and UI polishing. To make TouchWiz look good and operate smoothly. To make their phones look and feel good (not just acceptable). Once and for all.

Maybe for six months? Probably all they'd need, if they really made an effort. In the long run that would probably boost their sales more than any 64 bit processor or ultra schmultra retina mega-flex UXZXEIDPWQHD+ screen in the world.

Then they can get back to inventing dancing toasters and time machines.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Oh I see. Samsung may have more luck putting Tizen in all there very low end smart phones and flood the market with Tizen that way. Then down the road, they can introduce it on their flagship devices.

This is what I suspect. I don't know why people talk about Tizen as if it will be an abrupt replacement of Android.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Tizen is from the ground up a backup to android while Samsung was going through hell with apple in court.its there plan b and is nothing more but a huge backup from when Samsung didn't know wtf was going to happen in the courts will apple and android.

it is made from the ground up around any patents apple holds and the fact that it supports android apps and basically is running the same Linux kernel you can basically call tizen a full touchwiz based os

Samsung needs android and is there main os and they would loose a lot of market share if they forced tizen on people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.