Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

target_logo-150x199.jpg
Earlier this week, we shared a trade-in promotion from Target, which generated tremendous interest. Target is offering $200 for any iPad, including the original 1st generation models. Outside of the promotion, Target normally offers only $65 for a 16 GB Wi-Fi original iPad, which makes the $200 gift card a great deal.

Target's trade-in promotion is still going on, ending on Saturday, November 9, leaving two days to complete potential trade-ins. We've received some mixed reports about the success of the trade-ins. Trade-ins can only be done in-store to receive the special offer, as original iPad trade-ins online are still listed with a $65 value.

While Target has altered the wording on its original offer to suggest consumers trading in iPads should use the funds to purchase an iPad Air or iPad mini, many customers are still receiving $200 gift cards with no strings attached. Target's new promotional wording is below:
"Between November 3rd thru 9th, visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 to use towards the purchase of a new iPad."
According to our forums and emails we've received, Target has had some difficulty processing all of the trade-ins, and some Target stores seem to be unfamiliar with the details of the promotion. While some customers have had no issues trading in their iPads, others have faced long lines due to each store only having a few employees in the Mobile department, or been turned away entirely.

For most, the process is quick and simple. A Target employee will type in the model number, check to make sure the buttons are functional and that the screen isn't cracked, then enter a license number before handing over the gift card.

While some Target locations have insisted that the $200 trade-in value must be used for an iPad purchase, forum members have been able to circumvent this by claiming to wait for a Retina iPad mini or by visiting another Target location that did not implement the same restrictions.

Article Link: Target Offering $200 for Older iPads Until November 9th

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
It's true. I had a friend take advantage of this 2 days ago and got 200 bucks for an iPad first gen that even had some dings in it.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Great Success

I took advantage of this on my 16GB Wifi iPad 1, got a new Mini. They are selling the mini for $299 and you get a $25 Target Gift Card. So my net cost was $75 to upgrade to a mini.

However, I live in Utah and there was some bullcrap "Pawn Laws" issue that forced me to upgrade instead of just taking the gift card.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I turned my iPad 2 in last night and used the gift card for itunes gift cards. Plus they had a sale of 10% off. So I got $225 in itunes gift cards, and I only had to throw in $2.25. Not a bad deal.

myosh

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
No Luck in San Jose...

I tried to trade in my first gen iPad at my local Target but it appears that most, if not all, stores in the San Jose area are out of the trade-in cards. One Target put me on a waiting list (I'm #46) while the other two Targets I visited says to check with them on Friday to see if they got any more cards in. While I would love to trade in my iPad for $200, Best Buy is willing to give me $95.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
This is great for first gen iPad, ok for second gen iPad, not so good for third or fourth

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I took advantage of this on my 16GB Wifi iPad 1, got a new Mini. They are selling the mini for $299 and you get a $25 Target Gift Card. So my net cost was $75 to upgrade to a mini.

However, I live in Utah and there was some bullcrap "Pawn Laws" issue that forced me to upgrade instead of just taking the gift card.

That kind of legality is probably why some folks are reporting issues with just getting a gift card. im sure Utah isn't the only place with rules like that.

I would say than take it and see if you can return it and get a gift card for the value. Or see if you can swap it for a retina mini if you want one, when they come out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I turned my iPad 2 in last night and used the gift card for itunes gift cards. Plus they had a sale of 10% off. So I got $225 in itunes gift cards, and I only had to throw in $2.25. Not a bad deal.

I like that. Maybe that's what I'll do. I buy tons off iTunes and can share it with my siblings as gifts. They are teens so they love getting 'free' games off big sis.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Really is a fantastic price. If you have an original iPad and want to trade it in for the $200 gift card, you could buy a Visa prepaid card instead of another iPad ($5 fee attached) but it's available if you don't want a new iPad.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This is a pretty good deal for people with an iPad 1....really good deal. I would do this and get a Mini for $100.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Anyone know if there's a limit? I see several iPad 1's on Craigslist for around 100 that I might buy up and turn in for a cheap upgrade.

Moving on

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Took my 1 gen 32gb to the target in Capitola, Tuesday. No questions asked just have me the 200 gift card. Also traded in my old iPhone 4S for $135. 10 min tops and $335 in gift cards. Lady did say gift cards could not be used online, in store only.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Hey, you can turn in your old iPad 2 for $200, and buy back the exact same thing again for $400!! !

FAIL.

thetruthkc

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
pretty painless

Had an 1st gen 32GB iPad. Called the store ahead of time and they told me that the mobility desk opens up at noon. When I got there (right around noon), there were already 5 people ahead of me. It took about 5 minutes each, and I was out of there with a $200 gift card in about 30 minutes.

Awesome!

Yah, here in MD they have some 'pawn laws'. My local Target won't accept any trade-ins. I had to drive 18 miles away to another county to get the deal. Still a sweet deal though.

Wow, over the past 3 weeks i've traded in an iPhone 3g ($100 @ bestbuy - trade in phone upgrade), iPhone 3GS ($50 trade in for phone upgrade) and an iPad Gen1 ($200 Target GC). Not too bad for stuff that was only going for less than $100 combined if I traded in to Gazelle.

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Sold my iPad 2 yesterday at Target. Here's What I Found.

Here's what I found.

1) There is no limit on how much you can sell. I watched a guy bring in 3 and they processed it.
2) you get a target gift card. It can be used for anything...not just another iPad purchase.
3) The gift cards have a $500 limit. So if you want to sell three old iPads, they give you 2 gift cards.
4) No penalty for engraved or personalized tablets. (yay!) I had mine personalized and they are hard to resell. Target does not penalize for personalized iPad.
5) Don't do the memory wipe before you go into the store. They need to see the serial number on the preferences panel. If you bring in a wiped iPad, you will have to reenter your appleID just to see the preferences panel. You can do a full wipe AFTER the Target Mobility guy finishes his data entry.
6) TURN OFF Find My iPad feature. If you leave it on, they have the right to take your store credit away if you and the other person forgets.

Hope this helps.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Took my 1 gen 32gb to the target in Capitola, Tuesday. No questions asked just have me the 200 gift card. Also traded in my old iPhone 4S for $135. 10 min tops and $335 in gift cards. Lady did say gift cards could not be used online, in store only.

4s is worth close to $280 on ebay !

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Anyone know if there's a limit? I see several iPad 1's on Craigslist for around 100 that I might buy up and turn in for a cheap upgrade.

no limit.
but you don't have much time. Saturday is it.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wish I'd known. A few weeks back I sold my old iPad 1 16GB 3G for $160 on Craigslist. I had it up for awhile too, and $160 was the best I could get for it. This was long before the iPad Air into too.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
Is it AT LEAST $200?

WHat about a 64GB cellular iPad 3? I'm looking to upgrade to the new iPad Air.

LTAuD

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
How ideal is the trade-in value for the iPad 2? I haven't really been watching the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.