Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Nearly 600 days until the last refresh. Something has to be coming, this is the longest time yet

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
I installed PlexConnect on my three ATV 3s and couldn't be happier. I really could care less if they update them or not. In a way, I hope they don't cause I suspect it will break my set up. And I'm usually the guy standing line to buy the latest and greatest.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I installed PlexConnect on my three ATV 3s and couldn't be happier.
How did you do that? By hijacking the Trailers app or some other trick?
I've given me same thought, but as our :apple:TV 3 can't be jailbroken, and iOS 7 broke the Add Site workaround, I'm currently at loss on how to approach this.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
How did you do that? By hijacking the Trailers app or some other trick?
I've given me same thought, but as our :apple:TV 3 can't be jailbroken, and iOS 7 broke the Add Site workaround, I'm currently at loss on how to approach this.

Hijacked the trailers app. It's pretty easy to do. Apple made it a little harder about a month ago when they moved to secure certificate but I followed an online guide and installed my self signed certificate on all three units in less than an hour - the first one took about 30 minutes. The are all ATV3 with IOS 7.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I'd be curious to see two polls: Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own Apple TV only and Apple TV..

What is the purpose of a poll from ppl who don't know what they are missing?

This truly makes no sense. In what world did Apple go to considerable cost and effort to *not* develop an API, AppStore, marketing, and developer tools for the AppleTV?

The same world where many more services exist that are offered in the ATV menu,
and action has been taken to disable services when methods were found to accommodate one or more of them.

I'd be curious to see two polls: Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own Apple TV only and Apple TV..

What I'd be interested in, is the kind of poll from people who own an ATV,
and no other Apple product, and the ATV was the first experience with any
Apple product.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Plexconnect works really well. Highly recommend it.

+1

I've managed to move my Plex Media Server and Plexconnect across to my FreeNAS box which already had all my media stored. Can now access from any device (OSX, iOS, aTV, Web) without my iMac running :D

And Plexconnect works with any aTV (no need to jailbreak) so will be looking to replace my aTV2 with a newer version shortly. Would be nice if it was just after Apple release a aTV4...

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
What is the purpose of a poll from ppl who don't know what they are missing?

That would be the point of such a hypothetical poll. I've seen a number of threads where people assert ATV's superiority and seem to know exactly what they're missing, despite not owning a Roku. Those of us with both tend to prefer Roku (but acknowledge that both have a lot of room for improvement). There tends to be more passion from those who stick with one ecosystem. Vendor-agnostics like me tend to shrug and buy what we think is best without a rooting interest.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Guys, I need to decide within a week whether to get a Roku3 or ATV3.

Have read up on the capabilities of both.

I'm not tuned into tech stuff that much but would any of you know if either roku or apple tv is set for some significant updates.

Last time I bought a Macbook Air, they released the haswell version just 2 months later and I was gutted. Dont want to repeat this.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Guys, I need to decide within a week whether to get a Roku3 or ATV3.

Have read up on the capabilities of both.

I'm not tuned into tech stuff that much but would any of you know if either roku or apple tv is set for some significant updates.

Last time I bought a Macbook Air, they released the haswell version just 2 months later and I was gutted. Dont want to repeat this.

No word on an Apple TV refresh. Roku just went through a refresh in the last couple of months over here in the UK.
What are your needs as that will be the main deciding factor?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I installed PlexConnect on my three ATV 3s and couldn't be happier. I really could care less if they update them or not. In a way, I hope they don't cause I suspect it will break my set up. And I'm usually the guy standing line to buy the latest and greatest.

Does PlexConnect give you access to Free Hulu streaming via a Plex add-on? Or is PlexConnect only useful for streaming non-iTunes videos stored on your computer?

I have jailbroken ATV2's running XBMC. I've found the only jailbroken feature I really use is the free Hulu access via the Hulu add-on for XBMC. If I could get that feature via PlexConnect, that would be the last straw and I would sell my ATV2's and get ATV3's.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
No word on an Apple TV refresh. Roku just went through a refresh in the last couple of months over here in the UK.
What are your needs as that will be the main deciding factor?

I dont use itunes for movies and music. I want netflix, hulu basic and some private news channels. That's it for now.

Everything points to a Roku 3 unless atv is on the cusp of releasing something significant.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I dont use itunes for movies and music. I want netflix, hulu basic and some private news channels. That's it for now.

Everything points to a Roku 3 unless atv is on the cusp of releasing something significant.

No one knows for sure but most think not.

Go with what works best for you now. If something significant does come out sell the Roku and get an ATV. These devices aren't all that pricey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.