Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I doubt vodafone was using knockoff charger.

Customer bought knockoff charger somewhere. Comes into the store. Swaps charger on the iPad with his knockoff charger. Walks away with a genuine charger.

And from then on, Vodafone is using a knockoff charger, without knowing.

Reportedly, many people are using knockoff chargers in some parts of the world because the seller opened the box, swapped expensive Apple parts with cheap replacements to sell the Apple parts separately, then seals the box. Customer pays for genuine parts and gets fakes.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
People are generally stupid.

There is more to this story. People use the wrong chargers, get their devices wet, drop them, light them on fire, and so on and blame companies for them not working or exploding.

I work for Samsung and people complain about their phones not working. 99 percent of the time they dont work cause someone did something stupid. I miss the days when common sense was common.

People read things on the net and freak out. Dont believe everything you read on the net.

I don't believe you work for Samsung.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Yeah, but everybody knows lightening is dangerous and to stay away. I'm pretty sure iPads are made to be used, not to stay away from.

So, when you see lightning coming at you, you turn and run away?

----------

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

A Vodafone retail store in Canberra, Australia was reportedly evacuated earlier this week after an in-store demo iPad "exploded", filling the location with smoke and sparks, reports News.com.au.

Have you ever had a dangerous problem with an Apple device? Contact news@news.com.au with your story.
This is the problem with news people. The bold line is at the bottom of the original story. Is that Jerry Springer running that company?

bfChris

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
Reportedly, many people are using knockoff chargers in some parts of the world because the seller opened the box, swapped expensive Apple parts with cheap replacements to sell the Apple parts separately, then seals the box. Customer pays for genuine parts and gets fakes.

That's exactly what happened to me years ago with a cell phone—in America. I bought a Verizon Motorola phone in 2004 from what I thought was Verizon, but was really "CC's". A month later the battery stopped holding a charge. I took it to a (real) Verizon Wireless store (it happened to be easier to get to), where they said they couldn't replace the battery because it wasn't a real Motorola battery. When I told them where I bought it, they shook their head and informed me that CC's does that sort of thing. Someone at CC's had opened the box, swapped the genuine battery for a knock-off, and resealed the box.

DISCLAIMER: This happened in 2004, the CC's where this occurred is no longer there, and it is only my one-time experience. For all I know, a single employee stole one Motorola battery for his own phone, and it never happened again.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
You only hear about an Apple product exploding like twice every year. They sold about 50 million iPads in 2013. So you have a better chance of being struck by lightning twice.

Um...so what? NO iPads should explode. Ever. It's that simple.

Unless they are being tampered with or incorrectly used, of course.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I doubt vodafone was using knockoff charger.

Doesnt need to be knockoff chargers, could of been a 3rd party charger from a big company but they still dont meet the quality standards of the Apple ones.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Forget what charger was used... how can a iPad "detonate" under ANY circumstances involving electric current?

I mean maybe if you ran lightening-strength current through it it might explode, but then anything would. A block of wood would explode with enough current. How can that much current come out of a wall?

Last edited:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Forget what charger was used... how can a iPad "detonate" under ANY circumstances involving electric current?
It wouldn't have been the electricity, directly, that caused the explosion--it would have been catastrophic failure of the lithium-based battery pack. Lithium-ion or Lithium-polymer batteries can undergo an extremely violent reaction if they fail. It's one of the reasons all that fancy self-monitoring technology is built into Li-ion/LiPo battery packs--over-charging (or over-discharging) them can be bad.

Here's a video of what happens when they fail:

http://youtu.be/z3o_2mwRPdw

The video is made by a company that apparently makes bags for remote control car enthusiasts to contain the explosion/fire; apparently RC battery packs don't usually have the same sort of overcharge protection computer battery packs do (to save cost, maybe?) so it's a more common issue than with computer batteries. This can also happen if the battery is physically punctured.

When we do charge testing on Li-ion batteries at the lab I work at, we put them in a ceramic cup in case the charge controller fails and they go boom.

If this story is to be taken at face value, that's probably what happened to the iPad. Why is another matter--it could have been an extremely rare, catastrophic failure of the charge controller, it could have been on a REALLY bad charger that hugely overloaded the built-in protection and overcharged the battery, or it could have been physically damaged by having a screw put through it or something.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Keep in mind all of these explosions happen in Asia where people decide it's better to buy a cheap knock off non-regulated charger...

I'm also too embarrassed to point this out to you: Australia is not in Asia.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Yeah, but everybody knows lightening is dangerous and to stay away. I'm pretty sure iPads are made to be used, not to stay away from.

They're only dangerous if you mess with them. A hair dryer and a shower are two ordinary household appliances. But everyone knows that bringing a hair dryer in a shower would electrocute them. People should know not to use 3rd party chargers also.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Of course it was an iPad Air in the first place as this headline was providing much more attention for the local yellow press...do your research!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.