Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with previous announcements, Sprint prepaid subsidiary Boost Mobile began offering the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c today, marking the first time the brand has offered any model of iPhone for sale.

boost_mobile_iphone_5s_5c.jpg
While Boost's standard pricing available online already includes a $100 discount on every model compared to Apple's standard pricing for unsubsidized models, the carrier is offering an additional $100 off through November 24 to customers who are switching from another carrier and who make their purchases at one of the brand's retail stores.
It is the perfect time to switch to Boost Mobile as now through Nov. 24 new customers who come into a participating Boost Mobile store and switch to Boost Mobile from another carrier will be eligible for a special in-store promotion of $100 off any device bringing new customers additional cost savings.
The in-store promotion for switchers brings the entry-level cost of the iPhone 5s down to $449.99 and the iPhone 5c down to $349.99. For service, Boost Mobile offers a $55/month contract-free unlimited talk/text/data plan, although data is throttled once users reach 2.5 GB in a given month. Customers can also reduce their monthly fees by making on-time payments, with Boost reducing the charge by $5 for every six on-time payments made, down to a minimum of $40/month after 18 months.

While iPhone 5c supplies are plentiful, potential Boost Mobile customers are likely to have a harder time tracking down supplies of the iPhone 5s, as is the case throughout Apple's distribution network. All iPhone 5s models are currently listed as "Out of Stock" on Boost Mobile's online store.

Boost Mobile is not the only carrier to launch new sales of Apple's latest products over the past couple of days, as U.S. Cellular is now carrying Apple's full lineup of iPhones and cellular-capable iPad Air and non-Retina iPad mini models. Socially active mobile virtual network operator CREDO Mobile, which runs on Sprint's network, has also begun offering the iPhone with on-contract pricing discounted $50 compared to standard Apple pricing.

Mississippi-based regional carrier C Spire, Alaskan carrier GCI, and Kentucky-based regional carrier Bluegrass Cellular have also begun selling cellular-capable models of the iPad Air.

Article Link: Boost Mobile Offering $200 In-Store Discounts on iPhone 5s and 5c for Switchers

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I doubt anyone will have to wait in line for this release. ;)
$450 off contract really isn't all that bad though.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Sprint network

and phone locked to sprint network (boost mobile)

not really a unlocked iPhone you are getting for $450.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
and phone locked to sprint network (boost mobile)

not really a unlocked iPhone you are getting for $450.

And that is the sad part. It also, devalues the phone not being able to get it unlocked. Been there, went through that.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Not too bad. Still doesn't touch the $25 / month (after tax on a family plan) I pay with T-Mobile. Granted it's only 500 MB of full-speed data but I'm around WiFi most of the time.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I doubt anyone will have to wait in line for this release. ;)
$450 off contract really isn't all that bad though.

Its probably locked to Boost mobile. I found out my SraightTalk iPhone was locked down...i was pissed. I thought it was an unlocked model..nope. Thought I was getting a deal with 0 down and 24 month financing at 0% interest for an unlocked iPhone. :(

----------

What towers does BoostMobile use? Verizon?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Its probably locked to Boost mobile. I found out my SraightTalk iPhone was locked down...i was pissed. I thought it was an unlocked model..nope. Thought I was getting a deal with 0 down and 24 month financing at 0% interest for an unlocked iPhone. :(

----------

They're a subsidiary of Sprint so it uses their towers.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Just like everything Sprint...

A promo that does not make sense...

So what should someone who wants gold iPhone 5s do? By the time Apple and others will have stock, chances are the promo is over...

----------

----------

iPhones bought from StraightTalk are verizon edition, I am pretty sure you can put a SIM in them (even straight talk SIM) and it will switch to GSM.

I heard of users getting LTE with StraightTalk this way, since LTE is offered via AT&T SIMS only.

staveb

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
Not too bad. Still doesn't touch the $25 / month (after tax on a family plan) I pay with T-Mobile. Granted it's only 500 MB of full-speed data but I'm around WiFi most of the time.

Holy smokes! That's a good deal! How many folks do you have to have on your family plan to get that? I'm paying $100 or so a month on AT&T right now.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Holy smokes! That's a good deal! How many folks do you have to have on your family plan to get that? I'm paying $100 or so a month on AT&T right now.

Last service I had was with Virgin Mobile, basically the same as Boost. I had switched from AT&T where my bill for an iPhone3gs somehow kept rising to the point I was paying $93 a month for 250 minutes daytime, 200 text messages, and 50megs (NOT gigs) down. Virgin Mobile, like Boost, was $45 a month for 1200 or 1300minutes and texts and unlimited data. MUUUCH better. The reception was also much better.

kumar714

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County

i have the same plan, first line cost $50 second $30 and $10 for any after upto 3 more. unlimited talk text web with 500MB LTE then unlimited on 2G.

plus free financing for any phone bought through them.

ronton

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
i have the same plan, first line cost $50 second $30 and $10 for any after upto 3 more. unlimited talk text web with 500MB LTE then unlimited on 2G.

plus free financing for any phone bought through them.

Wow what a great deal! Do you know if the deal is still going on?

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
Wow what a great deal! Do you know if the deal is still going on?

I'm pretty sure it's the standard family plan at tmobile now. I'm switching to it next month for all 5 of my lines an cutting my bill in half from att.

SierraHotel

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Tempted....but....

This offer definitely got my attention. New 5s for $450....what's not to like? I went as far as to visit a couple of their stores. The upshot: they are dumps, run by people who are not informed....and in some cases couldn't care less. That still was not enough to put me off, after all, I am currently with StraightTalk....not exactly known for their customer service. :(. Then I went online and did a little casual research: the horror stories abound. Enough to scare even me off. $200 saved is not enough savings to risk that amount of pain.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
This offer definitely got my attention. New 5s for $450....what's not to like? I went as far as to visit a couple of their stores. The upshot: they are dumps, run by people who are not informed....and in some cases couldn't care less. That still was not enough to put me off, after all, I am currently with StraightTalk....not exactly known for their customer service. :(. Then I went online and did a little casual research: the horror stories abound. Enough to scare even me off. $200 saved is not enough savings to risk that amount of pain.

Don't know what the deal is with the hate towards Straight Talk. I guess it just comes from shills from the cellular companies. I was being throttled too from Straight Talk AT&T but I ported out to Straight Talk T-Mobile and then BACK to Straight Talk AT&T and have so far used 12GB of full speed 4G LTE data for the $45 a month rate. Can't get any better then that.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

5 lines on the plan split over 2 families (it works out to be $25 per month per line after taxes and discounts). We have a 10% corporate discount for T-Mobile that helps negate most of the taxes and fees. Further, I use a credit card to pay my portion of the bill, which offers $25 cash back per quarter if the card is used at least once per month (so I use it for the bill). If I factor that cash back into my bill, it drops my total down to <$21 per line (x2) per month. T-Mobile does not have the cell coverage of AT&T or Verizon but those two companies do not come close in price competition for my situation.

Hxh05g

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Hey just wanted to give a heads up, they're only offering $100 off online or $100 off in store for switchers, with customers coming from Sprint ineligible for either discount. I've been seeing this $200 off all over the place and went to several Boost stores and talked to Boost reps on their customer service number and there is no $200 off, just $100 off whether you do it online or in store, and again for in store discount you must switch from any major contract carrier but Sprint. Wanted to clear up the confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.