Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
So, I now have Macbook laptop with Core 2 Duo processor which has definetely seen better days. This laptop has been dropped and right hinge is dislocated. When I press the power button the screen will lit for a second or two and then go black while the machine keeps booting into OS, I can hear disk being read and after some time volume keys work. Optical drive and trackpad button seem to work as well since I can eject disc by pressing the button.

So in addition from the right hinge it seem that backlight has problem? Light tries to stay on but since it is somehow damaged it switches itself of, for safety etc? Or could there be something with the panel? I think this machine has Intel GMA X3100, could it be damaged and unable to display any "real" picture which requires some kind of acceleration, now all I see is the white/grey screen you normally see when you boot up the machine?

Previous owner said that the machine works fine when attached into secondary display, since it has ram, hdd and everything in place I think it is worth to by another machine with working display for spares, plastic parts are bit damaged as well so it might be more simple to just replace whole display element.

Or what do you think?

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
hmm, the left hinge is where the inverter cable is, which I understand to control the backlight.

Is the display completely dead or can you see some video if you look really closely?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Ok. I can take pictures later.

Display does not show video except for that white screen, I tried looking with flashlight but couldn't see anything. The bezel of the display has cracked open on lower right side and there is thin blue cable hanging outside. The bezel has protruded slightly and if I push it back the machine does not sometimes display even that white screen, so I can affect that in one way already.

Too bad I don't have mini dvi adapter.

EDIT ****

Pictures:

http://s9.postimg.org/rdt8axhf3/IMG_20131108_193220.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/4ilgrg9oz/IMG_20131108_193352.jpg

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Okay, I disassembled the display and found out that there are black and blue wires going to what I think is the inverter and black cable is cut off (or how do you say it in english, english is not my native tongue)

EDIT: Okay, I stripped some of both ends and tied them together, then sealed it with tape. Powered up and the screen didn't shut down. Pressed ALT and got the mouse pointer (I had no optical drive or hard disk so there was no boot sources) Then finally I tried with hard disk and it does boot to OS X !

I still need to fix that right hinge or maybe get that display "housing" or whatever it is in English. If I can get this to work it would be very cheap Mac :)

http://s18.postimg.org/k414y3vfd/mac.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.