Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hello.

Has anyone else encountered an issue where they are using their Mid-2013 MacBook Air (13in) on battery when the machine suddenly goes to sleep or appears to, but it has actually crashed. The screen is dark, keyboard and trackpad are not responsive and the keyboard backlight is on. You have to force it off to restart by pressing and holding the power button? It is completely random, not a kernel panic, and nothing I can see in any logs. After the recent firmware update the symptoms changed such that the display is still active since the Apple logo is lighted. I've never had it happen when I'm on a/c power. Unfortunately its random and infrequent too. The recent firmware indicated it helped with battery issues, etc. didn't fix mine apparently.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hello.

Has anyone else encountered an issue where they are using their Mid-2013 MacBook Air (13in) on battery when the machine suddenly goes to sleep or appears to, but it has actually crashed. The screen is dark, keyboard and trackpad are not responsive and the keyboard backlight is on. You have to force it off to restart by pressing and holding the power button? It is completely random, not a kernel panic, and nothing I can see in any logs. After the recent firmware update the symptoms changed such that the display is still active since the Apple logo is lighted. I've never had it happen when I'm on a/c power. Unfortunately its random and infrequent too. The recent firmware indicated it helped with battery issues, etc. didn't fix mine apparently.

Having this exact problem on my 2012 retina after the recent SMC update. Out of interest, do you have hibernation/standby disabled?

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Hello.

Hi, yes the exact thing you describe has happened to me twice on the same hardware as you have. Have not found any good reason for that. It doesn't seem to be a lot of response on this thread so it might look like it's not that common. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what happens.

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
I could be wrong but isn't this what the most recent SMC update was released to address? You've applied this one and it's still happening? If so, might be time for a trip to Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1627?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Thanks for the link. Tried to install it but it did not want to install it. Then I checked what version that was installed (should probably have done that firs :) ) and that was version 2.13, but the version on the link above is 1.9.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Another SMC update was released a few days ago. You should probably grab it from Software Update.

But it was not specifically to fix your problem. I don't think it's a bad idea to see if it helps though.

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Another SMC update was released a few days ago. You should probably grab it from Software Update.

But it was not specifically to fix your problem. I don't think it's a bad idea to see if it helps though.

Thanks, agree with you. Will install it and see how it goes. Thanks a lot.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I just purchased a new air 13 inch and did all the updates. I was sitting here watching TV and all of a sudden I got a black screen! I could see the mouse, but the rest was black. The only way I got it to go away was to restart my Mac.

Umm this can't be good! I just paid a grand for a CPU and within 20 minutes of using it I get that??

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I get that black screen with the cursor too and I haven't installed any updates. I just close and reopen the lid and wait for it to go to sleep, and then wake it up again.

Last edited:

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Same here with the new MBA, it happens to me once every two days or something like that.

When I get the black screen I move the cursor around and click randomly. The screen comes back on again after what seems to be a switch to another application. So I don't bother that much.

I hope the software update of this morning resolves the issue!

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
It happened again, even after installing updates. It seems like people have slightly different problems on this thread. This happens when the machine has gone in to hibernate while left unused (so screen is up and not closed), and then when trying to wake it up nothing happens. Not even the cursor is shown and have to long press the start button to restart.

Miss Roxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
California

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Same here with the new MBA, it happens to me once every two days or something like that.

When I get the black screen I move the cursor around and click randomly. The screen comes back on again after what seems to be a switch to another application. So I don't bother that much.

I hope the software update of this morning resolves the issue!

same here. the thing for me though is that it seems to happen only randomly and once in a while (once or twice a week) and typically only for a few seconds.

However yesterday (pre-update) it happened and i just couldn't get the computer to wake back up. Took at least a minute.

Supremely annoying and I would love to have Apple look at it, but it's such a random and (relatively) rare occurrence that I don't think I could reproduce it for someone at the store.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
this happened with my 2012 mac air 3 days ago. I basically clicked the back button on firefox and the screen when black. you could see the mouse cursor still. i kept moving it around and clicking but it would not wake up. then about 25 seconds later the cursor disappeared. I tried moving and clicking again and it finally woke back up to desktop.

The weird thing was it wasnt idle a long time. I was in the middle of using it when it happened.

bornslippy

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
There's a thread on the subject on apple forums with ~500 replies and 100k views. You are not alone. Chrome is not the root cause.:mad:

I'm currently having my display replaced as it seems to be related to moving the lid.

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
There's a thread on the subject on apple forums with ~500 replies and 100k views. You are not alone. Chrome is not the root cause.:mad:

I'm currently having my display replaced as it seems to be related to moving the lid.

Great, thanks for this information! Found the thread now and it seem to be a wide spread problem. Hope that apple will take it seriously.

NachoDuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
I've run into the same problem a handful of times with my 2013 MBA I've had since September, same as described above screen appears to go to sleep then I'm left with the backlight on the keyboard with the logo illuminated on the back of the display. I noticed something else though which I'm not sure if its related but it seems to be a similar issue. If I wait for the display to sleep or by selecting sleep from the menu and then attempt to wake it quickly within about a second or so it will crash, sometimes with a backlight on the keyboard but other times without and it won't come back on until I hold the power button in as described above.

Do you think this is related? Can anyone else reproduce it?

torangotango

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
I've run into the same problem a handful of times with my 2013 MBA I've had since September, same as described above screen appears to go to sleep then I'm left with the backlight on the keyboard with the logo illuminated on the back of the display. I noticed something else though which I'm not sure if its related but it seems to be a similar issue. If I wait for the display to sleep or by selecting sleep from the menu and then attempt to wake it quickly within about a second or so it will crash, sometimes with a backlight on the keyboard but other times without and it won't come back on until I hold the power button in as described above.

Do you think this is related? Can anyone else reproduce it?

Have never noticed this, but yes, I was able to reproduce it.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I get that black screen with the cursor too and I haven't installed any updates. I just close and reopen the lid and wait for it to go to sleep, and then wake it up again.

Haven't had this problem since updating to Mavericks.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
This "bug" is the only thing that's holding me back of buying this nice laptop :(, and I know it wil bug me every time this error occurs due to my OCD.

#FML

thesituation

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
my 6 week old mba gets the black screen of death at least once a day.

it does it on battery and also does it plugged in as well. I have upgraded to Mavericks.

I have a genius bar appointment in a couple of hours..i'm hoping they can give me an exchange or offer to repair it or something. I'm also having screen issues as well as wifi dropping after i wake up from sleep.

:mad:

EDIT: i purposely reduced the screen sleep time to 1 minute just so i can replicate the issue and sure enough after waking up successfully from sleep 3 times .. the 4th time it didn't. Now i can actually show them (with proof) that this is the case when i walk into genius store.

Last edited:

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
According to what I've read on the Apple Discussion forums, this issue is 100% reproducible.

You have to catch your MBA going to sleep and quickly push a key on the keyboard or push the trackpad before the keyboard backlight goes out. This apparently leads to your MBA being in a non-recoverable state and requires a hard reboot.

I've only had this issue happen to me once and it happened exactly as described.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
I have a question, cause I read two kind of errors:

1. People get black screen error when the computer wants to get into a 'sleepmode' state (when the screen turn black), and soon after it turns black they hit the trackpad/keyboard to wake it --> it causes an error which results in a forced reboot

2. There the one who say they are just in some app or on firefox/chrome, and they get that black screen out of nowhere..

I can live with the 1st error, but how real is the 2nd error? They both occur regurarly? Or is it mainly the first error that people complain about?

Im about to order a MBA, the only thing that keeps me from buying this machine is that error that people are describing. (I dont prefer the rMBP as my own experience on scaled resolution 1440 x 900 was bad on it IMO)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.