Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I am looking at maybe going to a 6-Core (Mfr # Z0P1-MD7701) since apparently they have sold out most of the old 12-cores the past week.

Would a move like this be much of an upgrade?

I use mostly Photoshop CC, Illustrator, Indesign and some AfterEffects, Motion and FCPX.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I am looking at maybe going to a 6-Core (Mfr # Z0P1-MD7701) since apparently they have sold out most of the old 12-cores the past week.

Would a move like this be much of an upgrade?

I use mostly Photoshop CC, Illustrator, Indesign and some AfterEffects, Motion and FCPX.

You can find a slightly used 2009 4,1 and flash it to 5,1 and purchase a 6core for the best bang for your buck. Depending on your budget, I would get at least 24gb of ram and if you work a lot in AE than 48gb should be good. I find myself breaking past the 24gb mark when working through premiere and after effects. You will also benefit from a high end gfx card such as a 580,680, or 780 for AE Cuda or a 7000series for OPEN CL, FCPX and Motion.

You will notice an improvement depending on your workflow and complexity. Not sure what spec your 08 model is.

I noticed that you have the Photoshop CC. How is it compared to CS6? The reason I'm not for the CC is "Rent to Never Own."

I've been using CC for a few months now and it's been great. Only reason I went with CC was bc it was paid for by my company. It's constantly updating and you will always have the latest version. If you are using the creative suite to generate money then it's a good deal esp if you get in on promotions like I did for $29/mo.

I deal with r3d 4k files so the updates do improve my workflow.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I noticed that you have the Photoshop CC. How is it compared to CS6? The reason I'm not for the CC is "Rent to Never Own."

I have the whole Creative Cloud Suite. Can't say I have seen any big differences yet, but the writing is on the wall. I do notice tons of updates.

Since I have made a living with Adobe products almost exclusively for 25 years, I did not have a choice (don't think I am alone). I just look at the Creative Cloud like forced Union Dues. I am still apprehensive about using some of the features like TypeKit and their web-hosting services. It is the first time in 25 years I have ever owned software that could just expire or be shut off right in the middle of a project - anything "could" happen - not to mention the fact that they just got hacked!. Of course, Adobe's attempt at restitution for putting my credit card information at risk, was not to offer anything of their own in exchange (like free service time); instead they sent me a letter offering me the "opportunity" to sign-up for one free year of Esperian Identity Theft Protection by entering a code number (that did not work). After that I can continue to monitor my credit which they put at risk for about another $15/month - so I guess Adobe is buying Esperian next year and will roll that into the "cloud"!

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Any other opinions on whether moving up to a 6-Core would be worth it?

This is the 6-Core I am looking at: Apple Mfr # Z0P1-MD7701. Is this the latest 6-core they manufactured?

Was this model introduced in 2010 or later?

When was it discontinued by Apple?

Was this the last (most recent) 6-Core Apple offered?

Is this 6-Core model the "Westmere"?

Have you seen any speed comparisons between this model and the Early 2008 3,1 that I have?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
The reason I'm not for the CC is "Rent to Never Own."

I hear ya on that one. I don't particularly like the idea of Adobe CC either (that is, paid for on a subscription basis) -- although technically none of us owned the CS releases either. We merely purchased a license (or licenses) to use it.

Any other opinions on whether moving up to a 6-Core would be worth it?

This is the 6-Core I am looking at: Apple Mfr # Z0P1-MD7701. Is this the latest 6-core they manufactured?

Was this model introduced in 2010 or later?

When was it discontinued by Apple?

Was this the last (most recent) 6-Core Apple offered?

Is this 6-Core model the "Westmere"?

Have you seen any speed comparisons between this model and the Early 2008 3,1 that I have?

Thanks for any input!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/index-macpro.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.