Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominic252

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I'm considering it. I've been getting bored with my iPhone, even though I'm running 7 and have the 5s. Just kind of underwhelmed in general. I just feel like something is missing. I really like jailbreaking and all that and I'm thinking it might be time to jump ship and make my way over to Android.

Is there anything like iCloud for Android that backs up your apps/contacts/etc?
Also, does Hangouts work like iMessage where it's your only messages app?

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
it depends...

i'm in a job where part of the description entails playing with new mobile devices... well, understanding the mobile ecosystem really. depending on the device it can either be enjoyable or tear-your-hair-out-frustrating. my experiences thus far:

- started with an iPhone which i liked (and got to keep as a personal phone after i paid out the subsidy cost)
- switched to an HTC Desire which i hated
- then had a Galaxy SIII... it was ok
- was given a Lumia 920... it was barely ok
- went back to an iPhone 5 (which again, i paid out the subsidy to use as a personal phone)

Wouldn't that be like annoying, like used to drive one car then jump into another and all the controls are "wrong?"

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Had my Nexus 5 since Monday, and I'm basically giving it a full week to see if I can switch over from my iPhone 5.

It's really interesting thus far, let's see how the next few days go. I love some stuff and am struggling with a few things over the first 48 hours.

It usually takes at least 5 days to fully get used to a whole new phone/OS.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Had my Nexus 5 since Monday, and I'm basically giving it a full week to see if I can switch over from my iPhone 5.

It's really interesting thus far, let's see how the next few days go. I love some stuff and am struggling with a few things over the first 48 hours.

It usually takes at least 5 days to fully get used to a whole new phone/OS.

May I ask what specifically you love and what you're struggling with? I am curious because I'm typing this on an iPhone 5 but I ordered the Nexus 5.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I'm considering it. I've been getting bored with my iPhone, even though I'm running 7 and have the 5s. Just kind of underwhelmed in general. I just feel like something is missing. I really like jailbreaking and all that and I'm thinking it might be time to jump ship and make my way over to Android.

Is there anything like iCloud for Android that backs up your apps/contacts/etc?
Also, does Hangouts work like iMessage where it's your only messages app?

if you like tinkering, you will love android. basically anything you don't like, you can change it. no rooting (aka jailbreaking) is required. its just a matter of installing the replacement app from play store. check my signature.

gesture search - fast search everything using finger
airdroid - do nearly everything over wifi / no wires needed. file transfer (on android its just drag and drop, works on any computer).

drivedroid - is kind of advanced and requires rooting. you can basically boot your PC from your phone.

unified remote - turn your phone into wireless remote using wifi

swype or swift or google keyboard - these all support typing using just one finger. simply slide it across letters and it will predict the word.

google backs up everything to your gmail account. a computer to sync is not needed.

hangouts is better than imessage because of multi platform support.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Welp.....I gave it a shot. battery life is amazingly corny:D Barely was getting 3 hours of on screen time......and that was light-moderate usage:confused:

Nice looking phone though. While I find it big, it was nice to hold (If that makes any sense) The cam was ok. I'm not a photographer, so its not really on my priority list. Fast, great screen, sleek, light, and lovely to use.

I just prefer the iPhone;) and all the glory that comes with it:D

But I love the Nexus 5:cool:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    82.3 KB · Views: 92

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I switched from an iPhone 5c to the Nexus 5 and I am absolutely loving it! I'm even now considering picking up a Nexus 7 instead of a retina iPad mini. :D

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Welp.....I gave it a shot. battery life is amazingly corny:D Barely was getting 3 hours of on screen time......and that was light-moderate usage:confused:

Nice looking phone though. While I find it big, it was nice to hold (If that makes any sense) The cam was ok. I'm not a photographer, so its not really on my priority list. Fast, great screen, sleek, light, and lovely to use.

I just prefer the iPhone;) and all the glory that comes with it:D

But I love the Nexus 5:cool:

at least you tried it. though i think you need more than two days - at least a week to get used to android.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
at least you tried it. though i think you need more than two days - at least a week to get used to android.

Agreed. I'm giving mine the full fifteen day return period to settle in and see how I like it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I switched from an iPhone 5c to the Nexus 5 and I am absolutely loving it! I'm even now considering picking up a Nexus 7 instead of a retina iPad mini. :D
I do love my Nexii, and I think the 7 is great, but if you can afford the mini, I'd get the mini. Clearly, the N7 is a more economical choice and viable in many ways, but... again, if the finances aren't an issue, go with the mini, IMO.

Edit: I own two N7s, so it's not like I don't like them, but the mini is finally where it should have been last year. Well, aside from cost.

Last edited:

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I had the previous generation mini and really enjoyed it. I tend to only use tablets for magazines, books and web browsing.

The mini is definitely preferable if you enjoy a lot of apps, IMO.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Agreed. I'm giving mine the full fifteen day return period to settle in and see how I like it.

It actually took me about 30 days to get used go from my iPhone 5 to my Galaxy S4. I was *this* close to returning it on the 15th day, but stuck it out and oooh so glad I did.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
It actually took me about 30 days to get used go from my iPhone 5 to my Galaxy S4. I was *this* close to returning it on the 15th day, but stuck it out and oooh so glad I did.

I think the Nexus 5 is great and it's not the first time I've used Android. The only thing that's really bothering me right now is that my LG tone+ headphones always stay at max volume while listening to them. You can't turn them down. Blows my mind that two LG products can't work together.

Last edited:

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York

Your right....but I always run into the same problem with these android phones......sound suddenly vanishes. I would have to restart the phone to get the sound back........

If I ever get the urge to try the 5 again....I will and give it a real fair shot.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your right....but I always run into the same problem with these android phones......sound suddenly vanishes. I would have to restart the phone to get the sound back........

If I ever get the urge to try the 5 again....I will and give it a real fair shot.
For the record, I've got two Nexus 4's and now a Nexus 5, and I've never had sound go away on any of them, from 4.2 through 4.4. I'd certainly believe it happens, but not for me, not on these phones... and I listen to a lot of music.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Here's an update with my time with the N5:

The camera is inconsistent. I'll either get really nice shots, or really awful, blurry shots. It's also slow - as most reports report. The good news is that, logically, if it has the ability to take nice, crisp, detailed shots that a software update could fix a lot wrong with the camera. And given that Google made a commercial touting the N5's camera, they better up their game. Throw some $$ at it, Google.

The battery life is ok, so far. Not great. I have battery guru on, learning...so hopefully it'll improve. Most of the time I'm a moderate user, but i'd invest in one of those external battery pack chargers if I was traveling.

The Kitkat looks great. It's definitely a refinement that Apple should take note. Not the janking android apps, but the Google and other quality designed apps and the launcher. It's clean. It's minimalist. It's much more grown up. The color palate isn't as loud as IO7, or cartoony as touchwiz, and I really, really thank Google for that. It's not totally complete, but it's getting better all the time.

Somewhere I read an oped piece about how Google's design cues will eclipse Apple's attempts at cloud services, and I think that oped was totally correct. They've got the services locked down. They just need to refine they're UI, which they've really been doing.

Again, for $350, you cannot do better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.