Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Setup:
Iphone 4
iOS 6.1.3
Redsnow 0.1.9.15b3
Windows 7

Was following this videotutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXlzLP1hbKE&list=PLT0Hj8-B-w6MC8iF4jwIlVHOoYngZNPRk&index=1 & this tutorial http://www.evasionjailbreak.com/jailbreak-6.1.3-semi-untethered-ios-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipod-touch-4g/ to do a tethered jail break.

Got upto as far as installing Cydia but need to boot the phone tethered. After selecting IPSW,selecting "Just Boot" and then putting my device into DFU mode, the iphone displays the pineapple logo for about 2 mins and then the apple logo appears forever. It just wont boot tethered.

The way I recover is to hold down the power button to switch it off and then press and hold the + volume whilst powering on again.

Any thoughts ? - Was very nervous since I thought I had bricked my iphone. It was only after googling that I found the suggestion to power on with the + volume pressed.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Setup:
Iphone 4
iOS 6.1.3
Redsnow 0.1.9.15b3
Windows 7

Was following this videotutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXlzLP1hbKE&list=PLT0Hj8-B-w6MC8iF4jwIlVHOoYngZNPRk&index=1 & this tutorial http://www.evasionjailbreak.com/jailbreak-6.1.3-semi-untethered-ios-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipod-touch-4g/ to do a tethered jail break.

Got upto as far as installing Cydia but need to boot the phone tethered. After selecting IPSW,selecting "Just Boot" and then putting my device into DFU mode, the iphone displays the pineapple logo for about 2 mins and then the apple logo appears forever. It just wont boot tethered.

The way I recover is to hold down the power button to switch it off and then press and hold the + volume whilst powering on again.

Any thoughts ? - Was very nervous since I thought I had bricked my iphone. It was only after googling that I found the suggestion to power on with the + volume pressed.

Might be from a bad tweak. Booting up while holding the volume up boots you up into mobile substrate disabled mode which essentially disables all your tweaks

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
2 things...

1. When you "Select IPSW", you are pointing it to 6.0 firmware right?

2. If 1 is not the issue, then you need to try a different computer. I have that issue with my desktop computer. Even though it has all the same software installed as my laptop, for whatever reason redsnow just craps out on it. On my laptop, works every time.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Looks like you can boot into safe mode volume+/boot, start cydia there.
There is no cydia icon when I boot with volume+

----------

2 things...

1. When you "Select IPSW", you are pointing it to 6.0 firmware right?

2. If 1 is not the issue, then you need to try a different computer. I have that issue with my desktop computer. Even though it has all the same software installed as my laptop, for whatever reason redsnow just craps out on it. On my laptop, works every time.

Yes, defo to 1, used iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.IPSW . and I have tried on my macbook air as well a windows 7 laptop.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
May be Jailbreak again and try ?
Also on windows machine, do you RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR ?

Sorry if you are already doing this but just that i am trying to suggest whatever comes in my mind.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
May be Jailbreak again and try ?
Also on windows machine, do you RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR ?

Sorry if you are already doing this but just that i am trying to suggest whatever comes in my mind.

I did run as admin. I could try JBing again but it was all a bit nervous so will wait to see if there are other things to try first.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
So I tried jailbreaking again and on the iphone goes black with white text scrolling through, it goes as far as

error
Please reboot the device into normal operating mode, then perform a clean "slide to power off', then try redsn0w again

I power of the device and then power back on and I'm OK but I dont think I can JB the device again. Tried it twice, same error message.

I've also noticed that Safari no longer works. It wont load up, keeps crashing and throughs you back to the springboard.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
OK, tried snowbreeze and it all seemed to go so well but ended up with the following error message :

The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1646).

This message appeared, after i selected the IPSW for restore, it got extracted, itunes verified with apple the restore and the itunes status message was at "Preparing for restore". Note : By the time the error message appeared the iphone had booted back into the home screen. I was running this on Win 7 and executed itunes as admin.

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I tried again and it worked this time. I now have Cydia on my spring. Next problem. I assume I need to boot tethered now?

For this I used redsnow and selected just boot. Problem is after i put the iphone into dfu mode it just sits and hangs at "Exploiting with limera1n". Which IPSW should I be using? iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw, iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw or my custom firmware that was built by sn0wbreeze sn0wbreeze_iPhone_4-GSM-6.1.3-10B329??

EDIT :

It wont allow me to select sn0wbreeze_iPhone_4-GSM-6.1.3-10B329.IPSW
and both iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw & 3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw gives me the same "Exploiting with limera1n" message.

Last edited:

kamenrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Its WORKING!

Its WORKING!

I used ibooty in the end to boot tethered and hey presto, up and running!

Cydia........

rdaw.png

jorgekelios

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Had to put original SIM card

I have iphone 4S and I had the same problem with "exploiting with limera1n" message.
I discovered that it was caused because iphone had another SIM card, not the one which I used to jailbrake the device.
So, I simply inserted my old SIM card, and the iphone could again reboot into JB mode.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I have iphone 4S and I had the same problem with "exploiting with limera1n" message.
I discovered that it was caused because iphone had another SIM card, not the one which I used to jailbrake the device.
So, I simply inserted my old SIM card, and the iphone could again reboot into JB mode.

The 4S isn't susceptible to the limera1n exploit

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

Besides Darricksailo's correct comment a SIM has nothing to do with the jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.