Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcfortunato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2013
Hi,
My screen turns black sometimes when I move it up or down.
Mac Repair shop said the problem was in the screen.
So Im thinking of replacing it with a screen from a late 2008
white macbook.
Any thoughts as to if this is possible or how hard it is to replace?
thanks, Michael

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Hi,
My screen turns black sometimes when I move it up or down.
Mac Repair shop said the problem was in the screen.
So Im thinking of replacing it with a screen from a late 2008
white macbook.
Any thoughts as to if this is possible or how hard it is to replace?
thanks, Michael

Try changing the screen inverter first. if that doesn't solve the issue then change the inverter cable. Repair shops will always say it's a problem with the screen even if it's not, so they can make more money out of you. The fact that the screen goes black when tilted at an angle, almost certainly points towards a faulty inverter/ cable.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
i second what madmacfan said. I recently got a used 2008 macbook for very cheap due to the screen having the same symptoms, except it couldn't be opened to any usable angle before the backlight died.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Inverter+Cable+Replacement/4772

I bought the inverter cable on ebay for $13 shipped. I followed the instructions on iFixit, took several hours as I never opened up a macbook and didn't want to break it trying to fix it.

The others here that instructed on how to do it all suggested the inverter board be replaced at the same time as the cable. I opted not to, gut feeling that the issue was simply the cable.

Hope it helps.

trevm999

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Yes, cable/inverter is where to start (I also recommend doing them both at the same time) However sometimes it is the display and it is pressure on the panel that does it even though it seems like it must be the cable. The only way to know for sure is to swap parts. And yes, that screen is compatible and the inverter and cable should compatible too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.