Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhaveshmore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
India
Hello Dear Friends,

I have a white :apple: MacBook late 2009. "MB881*/A"

macbook13_625xxx.jpg

I have a seagate 500GB external hard disk (OUT OF WARRANTY).

expansion-2-5-hero-med-th-67x67.jpg

about a year ago. i had portioned it into 2

1 - GENERAL

2 - BACKUP

the general one worked as an external drive

the backup one worked as backup disk for time machine

after a month i inserted the disk to get some data ! but the disk wasn't shown

i formatted the general one but the backup one wasn't able to get formatted.

:p

then i realised that the general has an mac extended journaled format and the backup has only mac extended format

i tried to unmount but it failed ..

i tried to erase the whole disk but it failed

i connected it to windows. it didn't display anything..

i hope i get help from here to unmount and format the whole disk. and make it new

i would also admire help of u put a terminal command 1st to unmount and then erase it....

i used all command but it didn't help

:rolleyes:

would u please help

icon14.gif

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

-------------------------

Other Devices . :

Last edited:

trevm999

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Your external hard drive is failing, it no longer a reliable back up and I wouldn't bother trying to repartition it.

However, to do what you want, you have to write zeros to the entire drive (aka erasing the entire disc). When it finds bad sectors, the drive should reallocate them so they won't be used. It is best to do this using Linux since both Windows and OSX tries to so a file system check when you connect a drive and it will hang up on failing drives. I like to use the Parted Magic boot disc for this. https://partedmagic.com/downloads

This will only work if the drive only has surface errors and not problems like crashing heads. Also, if the drive has too many bad sectors, this will not work. It will also probably take a long time to write the entire disc since it will have trouble writing to the damaged part (and most likely damage more sectors in the process) and the zeroing out may have to be performed several times before enough of the bad sectors get reallocated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.