Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I pre-ordered this MoKo case on Amazon & it arrived yesterday:
http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Apple-iPad-Air-Case/dp/B00CK9DAJC

71Nd1QS4rsL._SL1500_.jpg

It was $4.99 shipped (Prime) when I preordered it. I figured at that price if I didn't like it it was no big loss. It's now $7.99.

Build quality is exceptional for price paid. Honestly I can't tell the difference between this and one from a name brand company. I'm not sure if it's real leather or not but it has a pleasant soft smooth feel to it. The cover has magnets so wake on open works and also keeps the cover shut when closed.About 95% of the iPad Air is enclosed but I still would not mix it in a bag w/ sharp or pointy items.

The interior is lined with a faux-suede material with soft and friendly feel. It also features a sewn in business or ID card compartment and some other compartment that looks like it would fit an SD card, but I wouldn't want such an object pressed against my iPad screen so unsure what it's for really. The spine has an elastic hand strap.

The fit is almost perfect. 100% of the screen is visible but the left side does obscure the bezel. Not a huge deal but if you are a perfectionist you might not be happy. Of course perfectionists rarely are since little can be prefect. The back side has a cutout for the camera. It's not centered on the lens at all -- in fact the camera barely makes it to the cutout. Pictures are fine even still. Again only something a perfectionist would take issue with.

Of course it folds up to make a stand as common with this type of case. It works as advertised and is stable.

The big question - weight! It's not a heavy case, maybe 2-3 ounces. But every ounce matters when it's for a 1lb mobile device. For that reason I doubt I'll use it as my everyday case. I paid a lot of money to have a slimmer, lighter iPad so it makes no sense to turn around and make it heavier and bulkier. Instead I bought a rear skin (also on Amazon) for $3. That will suffice at home. When traveling I will put it in the MoKo case just for added protection.

Summary: I think it's a great case for the money, certainly on par with name brand versions at 8x the price. For me I'm just not into adding bulk or weight to my Air so I'll go nude at home and use this case for traveling.

Phony-ID

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Hi all

I just received this case today. I'm actually pretty damn happy with it. Hands down it has got to be the best bang for your buck. It's solid, offers multiple viewing angles and holds the iPad air in place really nice. I purchasing this one as a temp but will probably end up keeping it as my everyday case.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
So my case came today, all I can say is WOW!

The quality is actually very high and the "leather" feels soft. It is not what you would expect for spending less than $10. The fit is custom, what you expect from a higher end manufacturer. All ports are available but not perfect, the camera hole is a little off but doesn't appear to effect the functionality.

If you don't want to spend a lot, like a folio-style case; this one is for you. I might just grab another one as a back up.

:D

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Looks like the speakers are uncovered to me.
Looks like the whole bottom is exposed except for those two strips about 1" in from either edge.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Looks like the whole bottom is exposed except for those two strips about 1" in from either edge.

Do you have an Air? The speakers are much larger than any visible opening on this picture. Asking for clarification from Chief Nock a Homa, or Homer the Brave the OP...

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Is that picture correct? No holes for the speakers?

Do you have an Air? The speakers are much larger than any visible opening on this picture. Asking for clarification from Chief Nock a Homa, or Homer the Brave the OP...

The speakers on both sides of the dock connector are exposed. There are 2 pieces do leather that hold the ipad in place outside of each speaker.

Yes, this is for an ipad air.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002

Is that picture correct? No holes for the speakers?

Ha! Someone recognizes the Chief. :D

Yes the majority of the bottom edge is cut out for the speakers and lighting connector. The entire case is a very good fit for the Air. Parts that should be covered are and parts that need to be exposed are accessible. Only the rear camera hole is not 100% centered, but w/ no ill-effect taking pictures.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
It also features a sewn in business or ID card compartment and some other compartment that looks like it would fit an SD card, but I wouldn't want such an object pressed against my iPad screen so unsure what it's for really.
I too have wondered about this feature on various cases. I would never want to take the risk of having something mar the screen on such an expensive purchase. But great mini review. This case does appear to offer a lot of bang for your buck.

zapbranighan

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I've had this case for a few days now. I do not like it. My biggest complaint is that it makes the iPad too bulky. After going without a case for two weeks, it feels like the iPad doubled its thickness with the case on. Secondly, the microphone hole isn't quite dead on center. Its probably because the iPad tends to shift a few millimeters left or right with normal use and sometimes the microphone gets covered.

The good news is that the MoKo case is very affordable. The build quality is good considering the price. If you can live with the added bulk then its a solid case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.