Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I second that.. I reckon after 10-15 years, programs should become open source. As if you're going to lose much profits from that. And you'd hope that the manufacturer has improved upon the software since then!

Exactly, the company themself would benefit from the positive pr by making them available on their own site even, in my opinion.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ha, I saw that a while ago on BBC. That's what made me think of it :)

----------

I'd argue that more than half of that progress went towards making programming easier for the programmers. Heavier software for faster hardware. I can't believe anyone feels justified taking 1GB of RAM for a consumer program.

That's true too. No real leaps in the science, just lower costs. If you are a consumer lower costs and smaller size is great. If you are a computer scientist all you've seen is faster hardware and more of the same at lower cost. Of course we had multi-core CPUs and graphic terminal in the 60's but at $4M per copy (back when $4M was a lot of money.)

On the software side we've made computers easier to use by reducing the complexity of the interface we still don't have computers that are smarter than my pet turtle. THAT would require a huge conceptual leap forward. We'd have to understand something we don't currently.

Heck even a spell checkers that could guess basted on parts of speak and subject of discourse and figure out what you wanted would be mic.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006

i kinda don't get what gates is talking about here. since originally the key combination was used as a soft reset sequence, a single button would be kind of a disaster. the IBM PC first used DOS, so it does not make sense that he was asking for a single button from IBM for windows login.

----------

That's true too. No real leaps in the science, just lower costs.

uh. leaps in science are what have brought us lower costs.

the intel 4004 had 2300 or so transistors. aside from the fact that it was physically impossible, it would probably have cost more money than has ever existed to make a CPU such as a core i7 on that technology. how did we get from there to here? research and development. science.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
@ChrisA:

A $500 user-friendly smartphone in my pocket beats hard-to-operate computers the size of several fridges costing millions from back then. That's 'conceptual difference' for you.

The rate of progress in the computer area is simply amazing — from no matter what angle you look at it: Punchcards to SSDs. Hz to GHz. Bytes to TBs. Not connected to connected. Building-sized to pocket sized. Pixels to megapixels. No GUI to GUI. Wired to wireless. $millions to $hundreds.

We've come very far indeed.
I'm thrilled. Let's celebrate.

You are a bit behind.. It's now SSDs in SANs in clusters connected in the cloud from multiple sites. It's Bytes to Petabytes.

Company I work for has about 37PB of data.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I wish that Apple, and other companies, would create deep legacy support all the way back. Software from the Apple II should be able to run on the MacOSX and iOS. The computational power is there to do the necessary emulation.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
i kinda don't get what gates is talking about here. since originally the key combination was used as a soft reset sequence, a single button would be kind of a disaster. the IBM PC first used DOS, so it does not make sense that he was asking for a single button from IBM for windows login.

I'd like to think that what he was trying to say was that he wished that the original Windows programmers had chose a one-button logon instead of perpetuating Ctrl-Alt-Del, but he jumbled up his recollections a little.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I wish that Apple, and other companies, would create deep legacy support all the way back. Software from the Apple II should be able to run on the MacOSX and iOS. The computational power is there to do the necessary emulation.

Agreed, but the problem that I could see would not only be the architecture involved, but also bringing in those to create or lay down the framework for the emulators to begin with. Plus, seeing that it would be geared towards those who were alive and using it at the time, it would be a really small niche market. Whether they want to make money from it is the question, as that would drive the need to get someone in to work on it.

BL.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
I'd like to think that what he was trying to say was that he wished that the original Windows programmers had chose a one-button logon instead of perpetuating Ctrl-Alt-Del, but he jumbled up his recollections a little.

i see. that makes sense but i don't get blaming it on the IBM PC keyboard designers.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
You are a bit behind.. It's now SSDs in SANs in clusters connected in the cloud from multiple sites. It's Bytes to Petabytes.

Company I work for has about 37PB of data.

Since you hit that [Submit Reply]-button it has already changed from Petabytes to Exabytes. And if you are reading this tomorrow rather than today it's probably Bytes to Zettabytes. Stored in the dark matter data microcosm.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Since you hit that [Submit Reply]-button it has already changed from Petabytes to Exabytes. And if you are reading this tomorrow rather than today it's probably Bytes to Zettabytes. Stored in the dark matter data microcosm.

Yes, but PB is more common amoungst organizations these days. I don't know many that are in the Exabytes or Zettabytes (or even near it).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wow. Talk about going around the moon to get things done...

Impressive, especially with such a short time frame...

----------

You are almost describing Windows there in the beginning... Windows has suffered a lot with the idea of keeping some level of compatibility with the past. It quickly becomes a boat anchor.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
You are almost describing Windows there in the beginning... Windows has suffered a lot with the idea of keeping some level of compatibility with the past. It quickly becomes a boat anchor.

I agree, but they're dong pretty well with the anchor :) The quirks upon quirks are mostly invisible now, backwards compatible, first for features and stable for a fair few years now...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I agree, but they're dong pretty well with the anchor :) The quirks upon quirks are mostly invisible now, backwards compatible, first for features and stable for a fair few years now...

Actually what I should have said is 'noose'... Apple has had the luxury of being able to change their OS and break from the past. It's not a bad thing... Well, almost...:rolleyes:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yes, but PB is more common amoungst organizations these days. I don't know many that are in the Exabytes or Zettabytes (or even near it).

If you tried to store a zettabyte of data in a disk RAID array that used 1TB disk drives and you decided to stack the bare drives one on top of the other, the stack would be about twice as tall as the Earth's diameter. A ZB of data stored on 1TB drives is about 15,700 miles tall.

Sun's "ZFS" is designed to hold 256 quadrillion zettabytes. They were planning ahead a few years when they designed it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
If you tried to store a zettabyte of data in a disk RAID array that used 1TB disk drives and you decided to stack the bare drives one on top of the other, the stack would be about twice as tall as the Earth's diameter. A ZB of data stored on 1TB drives is about 15,700 miles tall.

Sun's "ZFS" is designed to hold 256 quadrillion zettabytes. They were planning ahead a few years when they designed it.

It's kind of sad that this isn't even laughable but a near actual fact.

I remember my huge 40MB hard drive that I could never fill up back in the days.

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
That is very awesome of Apple. I'm going to take a look at the code, thanks OP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.