Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One day after the surprise launch of the Retina iPad mini, small amounts of stock of the cellular-capable models of the device have begun trickling into Apple's U.S. retail stores. The company has been offering Personal Pickup of online orders since yesterday, but until now that service has been limited to Wi-Fi models.

Model selection is currently very limited and many stores have yet to show any available cellular models, but availability should improve over time as Apple delivers more stock to its stores.

ipad_mini_retina_lte_store_available.jpg

While Apple retail stores in several other countries did have stocks of the cellular-capable Retina iPad mini at launch yesterday, the company's U.S. stores did not have any available. Online orders for the Retina iPad mini through Apple's U.S. store launched with 1-3 day shipping estimates on 16 and 32 GB Wi-Fi models, with larger-capacity Wi-Fi and all cellular models showing 5-10 day shipping. A number of customers who placed orders for Wi-Fi models have already seen their orders shipping directly from China, with delivery scheduled for early next week.

Article Link: Cellular-Capable Retina iPad Mini Models Begin Trickling Into U.S. Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
yep

ordered yesterday, shipped today, scheduled for delivery on monday.

16GB wifi only.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
No cellulars in LA, California yet. Someone please quote me if you see anything locally :)

32gb iPad Mini retina with T-Mobile.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Just saw the first one appear at the hills dale store in the Bay Area (Cali). 64gb space grey AT&T
I'm looking for a silver 32,AT&T.... :(

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Saw an AT&T 128gb space grey in stock coincidentally right near a town where I'll be interviewing for a new job tomorrow and before I even completed the checkout process, it was gone. darn.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
If you're serious about using an iPad, the Cellular one is the only one to bother with, in my opinion.

Why? Simply because it includes Assisted GPS. The WiFi-only model does not.

That means, without having ANY data connection, you can take the Cellular iPad out into the middle of no where and still use it as a Turn by Turn GPS device (provided you have offline maps already downloaded).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If you're serious about using an iPad, the Cellular one is the only one to bother with, in my opinion.

That means, without having ANY data connection, you can take the Cellular iPad out into the middle of no where and still use it as a Turn by Turn GPS device (provided you have offline maps already downloaded).

That depends entirely upon what the user is serious about doing. Why? Because not everyone needs cellular service and certainly not just for GPS. Many iPad users also own an iPhone or other smartphone w/ GPS and also have GPS in their car. So unless one needs a cellular connection it's idiotic to spend $130 extra.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
64 and 128gb showing up at Bridgewater and Short Hills in NJ. I'll just wait for my 32 instead of buying and taking back.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Had the cellular option been available yesterday, id probably have two iPads right now. Black iPads are dead to me.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
That depends entirely upon what the user is serious about doing. Why? Because not everyone needs cellular service and certainly not just for GPS. Many iPad users also own an iPhone or other smartphone w/ GPS and also have GPS in their car. So unless one needs a cellular connection it's idiotic to spend $130 extra.

"Serious" as a laptop/computer replacement, I guess. Something you take with you everywhere and use for everything.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

I've got two iPhones I carry everyday can do the exact same thing. For the iPad I was happy to save the $130.

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I order yesterday 23 mins in when sales opened up
and now been charged and status moved to
Preparing for Shipment Available to ship: 5-10 Business Days
Delivers: Nov 25 - Dec 3 by 2-3 Business Days
iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular for Verizon 128GB - Space Gray

new update from site finally

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.41.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.41.13 PM.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Annoyed that my mini has been "preparing for shipment" for nearly 24 hours, without actually being shipped. (The UPS and FedEx reference number trick for tracking yields no results.)
This means I can't cancel the order anymore! And they are finally available for pick up at my store, right now. :(

Oh well. I know I can buy twice and return one later, but I don't really want to deal with all of that. I just wish they weren't so trigger happy with the preparing for shipment. It happened about ten minutes after I ordered.

musicforme

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I ordered a 32 GB Silver Mini at 4:00 AM Arizona time the morning they went on sale. I paid the extra $10 for express delivery.

I received a shipment notification last night that it should arrive this coming Monday.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
My 32GB Verizon in Space Grey also just changed to "Preparing for Shipment." So much for the buy in store and cancel technique :rolleyes:

Hopefully it actually ships soon! I'm sure preparing for shipment is more like "make sure we can actually charge the customers card."

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Yayayayay!!

Just bought my 64GB Retina iPad Mini with T-Mobile!!!! Going to go pick it up today after work :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.