Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBM.png
BlackBerry has updated its BBM messaging app for iOS to include support for the iPod touch and (sort of) the iPad, as well as additional sharing options and other improvements.

The prior version of BBM only worked with iPhones and iPads that have a cellular connection, and wouldn't work with iPod Touch or Wi-Fi-only iPad devices. However, BlackBerry has not rewritten the user interface to fit the iPad and BBM on the tablet works solely in pixel-doubled mode.
A new update to BBM is rolling out for Android and iPhone users. In addition to several new features, bug fixes and performance improvements, we are also proud to deliver something you've been asking for: support for iPod and iPads!

Here's a quick overview of what's new:

What's New in BBM Version 1.0.4.133

- Support for iPod and iPad devices running iOS6 and iOS7
- Improvements to right-to-left language support
- More options for sharing your BBM PIN Barcode
- Find your friends on other social networks who are also using BBM
- Fixes an issue where some users would be missing BBM contact names
BBM is available free through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Now Supports iOS Devices Without Cellular Connections

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Still waiting for:

- It should also support iOS 5, Mac, Linux, and Windows
- One PIN should work for multiple devices, including dual SIM

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I agree. There doesn't need to be support for iOS 5. As for desktop clients, I'm sure that will eventually come. There has been various rumours that BlackBerry have been flirting with a desktop client for some time and considering their situation where BBM is their biggest and successful property, I wouldn't doubt seeing one in the future seeing how only Apple has a desktop client even if it is only for OS X. Getting a desktop client for BBM would be huge.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Anyway the fact that one account can only be registered to one device makes this service obsolete and totally outdated... What I loved with iMessage is the ability to follow a conversation on my iPhone, iPad and Mac.
When I setup BBM on my iPhone I was like "cool I will be able to start a conversation on my BB and continue it on my iPhone" so, here it goes, BBM gets setup on the iPhone, I get a cryptic message about accounts linked to devices, I click next and boom... My Curve 9320 (on which BBM was running) froze for half an hour - I restarted it by removing the battery and it froze again... After a few attempts it finally restarted but BBM was like I had performed a fresh install, everything, BBM contacts, messages had disappeared. So I set it up on my BB again, everything reappeared and the iPhone app became useless. So guess what - I removed it from the iPhone. This whole BBM on the iPhone thing is really a sad joke IMHO... Well, blackberry is a sad joke actually...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Does it sync chat logs between devices?

Edit: I see you get a different PIN for different devices so I guess not. I guess I'll stick to iMessage and WhatsApp then.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Because Apple obsoleted the iPad 1 in just 2 years.

Really?

iPhone (original): iOS 1, 2, 3
iPod touch (1st generation): iOS 1, 2, 3
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, 3, 4
iPod touch (2nd generation): iOS 2, 3, 4
iPod touch (3rd generation): iOS 3, 4, 5
iPad (original): iOS 3, 4, 5

It got three versions of iOS, just like several other devices got.

It's not like they abandoned it like some other manufacturers do. *cough* Android *cough*

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Really?

iPhone (original): iOS 1, 2, 3
iPod touch (1st generation): iOS 1, 2, 3
iPhone 3G: iOS 2, 3, 4
iPod touch (2nd generation): iOS 2, 3, 4
iPod touch (3rd generation): iOS 3, 4, 5
iPad (original): iOS 3, 4, 5

It got three versions of iOS, just like several other devices got.

It's not like they abandoned it like some other manufacturers do. *cough* Android *cough*

A $1000 computer does not depreciate in 2 years.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA

You obviously don't understand depreciation. It's depreciating from day one.

iOS devices are not meant to be as permanent as desktops. The upgrade cycles are much shorter, especially since the technology is moving so quickly.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

It was a 256MB appliance, designed to be used and thrown away. It couldn't even fully function without being tethered to a real computer until iOS 5.

Think about how much other devices cost. The iPhone costs around the same thing and got similar support.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
The iPad version of this app is pitiful... how can they seriously say they updated it for the iPad? lmao

amayce

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012

No, but a 16GB cellular iPad ($629) is out of date in the same amount of time a 16GB iPhone ($649) does, more or less... Seems fair to me, the way these things go

esechico

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Does it sync chat logs between devices?

Edit: I see you get a different PIN for different devices so I guess not. I guess I'll stick to iMessage and WhatsApp then.

BBM was not made to sync across devices. It was made as a secure/encrypted chat platform that can only be read by the specific device. That's what the pin is for, it is unique to one BB device. No other device has the same pin, so no other device can intercept the BBM. When they made the app, it uses the same concept using a virtual pin. If it were able to sync between devices it would defeat the purpose of having a secure messaging app because it would no longer using the secure pin. iMessage is secure as long as no one has your login info, if they do they can sync any device without you knowing and intercept your messages. Not to mention if LEA gives apple a warrant they will have complete access. NSA of coarse won't need a warrant as they have full cooperation from most companies. Whatsapp? Yeah that's the most unsecured messaging app there is. Blackberries have yet to be hacked (bbm) and it's why they are banned in some countries. If you want something secure then go with BBM, if you want convenience and not talking about anything important then use iMessage. I use iMessage on a daily basis for regular conversations, I want to talk business with clients all over the world, I use BBM. If I want to say hi and not care who reads it then I use whatsapp. If you don't care about security then don't use BBM, it's not for everyone.

----------

Yeah, the whole one device/one PIN thing is really annoying.

And so is encrypting and decrypting hard drives, and imputing passwords etc, but if you want things secure, then you must make some sacrifices.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
is anybody really bothered about blackberry anymore?

Should anyone be bothered with any company? I consider myself a big tech head, but Apple, BlackBerry, Google/Android are not that important to me to be bothered by or get angry at. There's a reason why we have competiton. One company screws up, you move on to the next one and so on.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You obviously don't understand depreciation. It's depreciating from day one.

iOS devices are not meant to be as permanent as desktops. The upgrade cycles are much shorter, especially since the technology is moving so quickly.

You know what I meant. No need to try to be clever.

$1000 is not throwaway in 2 years.

----------

It was a 256MB appliance, designed to be used and thrown away. It couldn't even fully function without being tethered to a real computer until iOS 5.

Think about how much other devices cost. The iPhone costs around the same thing and got similar support.

It's Apple's fault. They made it with 256MB (and didn't advertise it).

My fault would be to buy from Apple, but I'm correcting that.

gdoes

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

BlackBerry has updated its BBM messaging app for iOS to include support for the iPod touch and (sort of) the iPad, as well as additional sharing options and other improvements.

The prior version of BBM only worked with iPhones and iPads that have a cellular connection, and wouldn't work with iPod Touch or Wi-Fi-only iPad devices. However, BlackBerry has not rewritten the user interface to fit the iPad and BBM on the tablet works solely in pixel-doubled mode.
BBM is available free through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Now Supports iOS Devices Without Cellular Connections

It still doesn't support the iPad Air though! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.