Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
After a couple of weeks of frustration about OSX 10.9 not allowing me to use my WD MybookLive NAS for TimeMachine backups I said " Phoque it. I'll reinitialize the drive and start from scratch". (Luckily I have a full backup of this drive's non-TimeMachine content backed up on another drive). So I...
* Did a factory reset of the drive.
* Made sure the NAS has current firmware loaded.
* Gave the WD MyBookLive NAS drive a new name
* Recreated all of the users (8 users/devices)
* Went into TimeMachine and pointed it to the TimeMAchine Backup folder on the NAS

And Voilà! TimeMachine now works with the WD's MyBookLive NAS. Yes, it was a pain in the azz and now, in addition to having TM run a complete system backup totaling 500Gb, I need to load 1.3 TB of media onto the NAS as well and that is going to take a LONG time.

The sad thing is that I had to do this in the first place. Not sure where blame lies, Apple or WD, but at least I will soon be fully backuped again.

BTW....why did Apple get rid of the spinning TM icon? I liked it and so did many others.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
After a couple of weeks of frustration about OSX 10.9 not allowing me to use my WD MybookLive NAS for TimeMachine backups I said " Phoque it. I'll reinitialize the drive and start from scratch". (Luckily I have a full backup of this drive's non-TimeMachine content backed up on another drive). So I...
* Did a factory reset of the drive.
* Made sure the NAS has current firmware loaded.
* Gave the WD MyBookLive NAS drive a new name
* Recreated all of the users (8 users/devices)
* Went into TimeMachine and pointed it to the TimeMAchine Backup folder on the NAS

And Voilà! TimeMachine now works with the WD's MyBookLive NAS. Yes, it was a pain in the azz and now, in addition to having TM run a complete system backup totaling 500Gb, I need to load 1.3 TB of media onto the NAS as well and that is going to take a LONG time.

The sad thing is that I had to do this in the first place. Not sure where blame lies, Apple or WD, but at least I will soon be fully backuped again.

BTW....why did Apple get rid of the spinning TM icon? I liked it and so did many others.

I've had no problems with my MyBookLive and Mavericks. I updated to the latest WD firmware before I ran Time Machine and it works fine. However I did have to delete my pre-Mavericks backup and start a fresh one. But since then its been fine. Strange as you are not the first to report problems.

Hoping Apple restores the spinning ™ icon

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Isn't it WD that's having so much trouble with their add on software running under Mavericks?

I bought a couple of WD drives before I upgraded to Mavericks. Fortunately I didn't install any of their "software" junk.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Isn't it WD that's having so much trouble with their add on software running under Mavericks?

I bought a couple of WD drives before I upgraded to Mavericks. Fortunately I didn't install any of their "software" junk.

I believe so. I never install 3rd party stuff unless its absolutely needed. Also reading thru the WD forums there are reports of Norton and McAfee anti-virus software causing time machine problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.