Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
All this cloud-reliance disgusts me. You have the clearly evident single-point-of-failure problem yet everyone continues to dump all their personal stuff in the cloud for companies to sift through and harvest your data to make money with.

But this is what the world has become. You get convenience at the cost of your privacy.

/rant

Sounds like a lot of extra work just for them to pirate music off of me. But I stopped using it since it's not totally reliable and under my control.

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Ordered my mini for pick up 2 hours ago in SF. Called and was told it may be tomorrow. First world problems. I just launched the iTunes store and donated to the Philippines. They have bigger issues then we do trying to get our minis lol.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Still down here in NC, but luckily they had those that were picking up orders use a paper checkout system. Filled out a contact form with my info and signed it and then the Apple store lady literally made a rubbing of my credit card on this paper with the side of a pencil....like you do with gravestones or whatever.

It was kind of funny.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Just tried to pick up my new retina mini, but couldn't because the computers are down. Frustrating :(

Wandering around the mall. Will try back in one hour.

I was there in the Haywood Mall Apple Store reading your post when you were there. :) I spent 6 hours there, since I live 90 min away and was buying a device only [5S full price so i can stay grandfathered in to my unlimited verizon data]. The employees there are very nice, if that was the one you went to [maybe Charlotte, NC? i was in Greenville, SC, as it is a few minutes closer to me]. I left empty handed at 7pm, and just got home, but tomorrow morning I'll call, as they finally do have the phone in stock - the systems went down 2 minutes before I got there....but hopefully by the morning they will be back up. Very frustrating! But I can think of worse places to be stuck in. :)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

CarbonCrew

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
They were still down in Augusta as of ~7 PM. Then they told me they couldn't find the rMini I had ordered. Bummer :(

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I ordered for store pick up at 2:30 EST and finally got my "order is ready" email hours later at 9:15. Mall closed at 9.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I called up Barton Creek in Austin at about 7:45 CST and they were down. I checked online and it had availability but I think I'll wait a few days. I live a bit over an hour away and was planning on going by before work on Friday. Don't want to risk driving out there only to find out there's none.

Guess I'll have to wait. I think I'm working until next Thursday.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
It was because, they were changing over their master server from a Mac Mini to one of the new Mac Pros. The second outage was because, they had to unplug it to hook it up to a UPS.

From what I understand, there is some worry about heat dissipation with the new computer as it is in a janitor's office somewhere in Nebraska. (They chose the mall janitor's office because, it is close to the router and he likes to play Minecraft on his break.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
santa monica

ordered around 2pm thu, arrived 5pm w/o confirmed email hoping it would be ready. told " no. we have to wait for the bank to process the order".

got email at 7:30pm and picked it up.

nice upgrade from non-retina, but not earth-shattering. worth it to me, the nicer screen but speed wise, the old one was fine. notice the slight increase in weight but fits in the old snapin case no problem.

i know, i know, 1st world problems, but.....
frustrated that "bank processing" took 5+ hours making same day pickup a stretch. plus it took over 30minutes for a simple pick up because the apple store was so understaffed. 1 poor guy was handling all the purchases and pickups. the store is cool looking but with no obvious place to lineup it just looks chaotic with a lot of frustrated inpatient 1st adopters waiting... hopefully the new head of stores will improve that experience...

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
don't think its app.le. I think ithe outage affected many companies incliding ours. It's the ISP.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Store in Philly had all Systems Down all day yesterday I was told when I was there in the evening... reluctantly those new MacBook Pro's & iPad mini's were still pimp!!

I want both!

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Picked up my item last night using the "paper checkout." Got a call from the Apple store this morning requesting I call them back and provide the serial number for the device I purchased. They need this to ensure that the item is marked as "picked up" and that the "warranties go into effect."

Unfortunately, it's at home. Purchasing a mini has been a hassle :eek:

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
I always say that if data isn't in two places then it might as well not exist. The cloud is an appropriate accessory if your data is also in a physical secure location. It adds a layer of convenience and a moderate layer of loss prevention.

Saying the 'cloud' is a 'single point of failure' doesn't really make sense. Most systems use several data centers. If one goes down, traffic is automatically diverted to the second closest. Also, each data center itself has several fail safe design considerations. Saying that the cloud is a single point of failure is akin to saying that "the internet is a single point of failure"

There are people much smarter than you or I who make any entire career off of identifying and designing around "evident single-points-of-failure". This outage could have been due to thousands of different things. Probably not "rats, the darn cloud turned off again"

All good points and I agree with you. It still makes me uneasy to willingly (when it's an option) give up my details... Cloud-comping facilitates this immensely. And everyone knows a backup of your data/family pics/etc should be kept in a different location.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Yep.

Took a 1 hour drive, system was up, asked for my iPad, within 5 minutes, the system crashed.

Guess I'm going back tomorrow.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I just called my local Apple store. The $2500 15" rMBP is in stock and available for pickup.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.