Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyitsmeneil

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Philippines
I'm planning to buy iPad mini (last year's model) this weekend. and this will be my very first tablet. Is it still a great choice of tablet? I cant afford the new ipad mini with retina so I'm asking for suggestions if last year's ipad mini is stil good?

:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The iPad mini is just as good as when it was introduced. I've been extremely pleased with mine and have no need at all to exchange it for the retina model. The retina model offers nothing I need that I don't already have in the original iPad mini.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I would keep in mind for the extra 100.00 you really get a lot.

The new A7 chip is a huge improvement and the retina display is worth the upgrade.

Resale value if thats of concern to you will be higher on the new one as well.

For the price of the original iPad mini i couldn't recommend it. The new one is brilliant and is what the first one should have been.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The new A7 chip is a huge improvement and the retina display is worth the upgrade.
That's true for some users, but neither would have any value for many users, including me. It depends on what you use your iPad for.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm planning to buy iPad mini (last year's model) this weekend. and this will be my very first tablet. Is it still a great choice of tablet? I cant afford the new ipad mini with retina so I'm asking for suggestions if last year's ipad mini is stil good?

If you absolutely can't afford the extra $100 for the retina model, then definitely something is better than nothing, so the iPad mini non-retina would be a be an okay buy in this case. Though, the retina model is definitely more future proof, and you're likely to get more mileage out of it.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Yeah, I'd recommend it if you don't have much to spend. You can even buy a refurbished 16 GB for $250. It looks and works like a brand new device, and you save 50 bucks.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Or just wait till Black Friday and go to target and get the 70.00 or whatever gift card with the Ipad mini retina just to justify it a bit more :)

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
The ipad mini 1 is a marvelous machine. I feel a little embarrassed I'm upgrading to the retina mini, but justify it by noting I read a lot on it, and would benefit from the higher resolution screen.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.