Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The problem exactly is that while I can use iWork '09 RIGHT NOW, it will become obsolete. The upgrade to the new version is unusable for some people and it's apparent that the new direction that iWork is going is the wrong one.
People who use iWork, Numbers especially, know that at some point with compatibility issues and so forth iWork '09 will be dumped and the current offering doesn't deliver when it comes to productivity. If that doesn't change, then I have to look for alternatives, and sooner rather than later so I can build in a learning curve. If that alternative belongs to another ecosystem (e.g. Google or Microsoft etc, then I may have to reluctantly look at transferring towards that eco-system. I.e. I won't need to be tied into using Apple's software (Which has worked up to date). If I don't need to be tied in to Apple, OSX, iCloud, I might not need to keep my iPhone, buy from iTunes, or use Aperture over Lightroom for example.

This is what pro users have been talking about for some time. If Apple products and software gradually become easy access, universally friendly products then that's great. But if that comes at the expense of productivity, powerful focussed applications, and cohesiveness then the pros who just need things to work will find another solution, perhaps even away from Apple software or hardware.

Why is that process so hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand, but it's different point from what we were discussing. It's a hypothetical future scenario, just look at the amount of times you use the word "if" in your post. I'm more pragmatic and worry about actual problems at hand and how they can be solved. Anyone that holds a job is a professional and the needs in that group differs widely. I have often noticed that it's only purpose in discussions is that it enables the user to keep a frown on their face.

Collaboration is something that can be useful for proof reading of a document and to get an ok from someone else that now also can edit the document directly, regardless of native OS. The new version also supports docx and epub formats, just to name some improvements.

Last edited:

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It's not hard to understand, but it's different point from what we were discussing. It's a hypothetical future scenario, just look at the amount of times you use the word "if" in your post. I'm more pragmatic and worry about actual problems at hand and how they can be solved. Anyone that holds a job is a professional and the needs in that group differs widely. I have often noticed that it's only purpose in discussions is that it enables user to keep a frown on their face.

You're just talking semantics and it's not a great argument.(I count 5 "if"s you highlight)!

So, if it's any easier, just swap in the word "when" in place of "if".
The fact is, that this IS a current problem that needs solving and the patch up work around fix of using old software is in this situation, very short sighted.

A typewriter could be a solution to paper over the cracks, but I don't run or forecast my business that way.

I'm happy not to wear a frown, but that doesn't mean I have to smile when I get slapped in the face and told to like it.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You're just talking semantics and it's not a great argument.(I count 5 "if"s you highlight)!

The fact is, that this IS a current problem that needs solving and the patch up work around fix of using old software is in this situation, very short sighted.

It's not semantics, these are logical connectives. You can not simply replace "if" with "when" because it completely changes the meaning of the post and also makes you a fortune teller. Your future scenario depends on all those ifs to become true.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

A typewriter could be a solution to paper over the cracks, but I don't run or forecast my business that way.

I'm happy not to wear a frown, but that doesn't mean I have to smile when I get slapped in the face and told to like it.

Except you can't change it from IF because you don't know whether or not it will happen.

EGlasheen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Apple is beginning to add more advanced features to their iWork lineup, and this is a very reassuring thing to see. Would be very nice, though, if they would add some security to the sharing features, as anyone with the link to the document can access and edit it. Permissions would be welcome, being able to set access passwords and privilege levels (read, write, read & write) would make it safer to share and collaborate. Over the next 6 months we will be seeing more features come to the iCloud, iOS, and OS X versions of the iWork programs, which will be very helpful. I think that since Apple owns FileMaker, Inc. (author of database software), the company should include FileMaker in its iWork offering, to create more parity with Microsoft Office, since that suite includes Access (another database offering). Apple will likely also add scripting support to its iWork software, and this will also be a nice addition. I am looking forward to seeing what Apple will do with its productivity software going forward.

Start adding permission objects complicates the simple process... do we really need a SharePoint type solution for small businesses or individuals to collaborate?

Does anyone really use Access... I would much prefer pulling data from SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc. instead of Access/FileMaker...

I would love to be able to push Numbers to an app that will display Business Intelligence...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Look again. There is a long list of features that have been disabled, implemented badly, or just missing. And there are countless threads here on MR detailing them. Even Apple themselves admitted that they are going to have to address some of these omissions in a future update.

Ready my post again. There isn't a single thing missing from the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote we are used to. Those apps weren't deleted. They are still there. Apple didn't "admit" anything. Obviously there were planning on adding features. That's the whole point of starting over. That's like saying Apple "admitted" the original iPhone was going to address omissions. As if people had never complained about missing 3G and copy and paste that we would be sitting here without it in the iPhone 5S on iOS 7.

The new apps are a 1.0 version. They planned to add new features over time. Otherwise they wouldn't have put all that effort into throwing away all the legacy code and starting over from the ground up.

In the meantime, the few people who depend on the features yet to be added still have all the old apps and NOTHING has been taken away from those.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It's not semantics, these are logical connectives. You can not simply replace "if" with "when" because it completely changes the meaning of the post and also makes you a fortune teller. Your future scenario depends on all those ifs to become true.

Look. I'm sorry you don't like my rules, but my point stands:

1. I was happily using iWork and Apple's Eco System by extension
2. Apple broke part of that Eco System
3. Other solutions (different software, eco systems) ARE available NOW
4. I can use a different platform and choose to buy into that eco system
5. I can buy a different operating system that one could argue, rightly or wrongly is more consistent. NOW
6. etc.

I don't want to do any of that! It used to be that Apple was the only solution and in my opinion had the best options when it came to iLife and iWork vs competitors, but now that's not true any more, and it's not good enough to just say that you can use previous iterations of software to 'keep you going'. Without a roadmap from Apple all anyone's got to go on is the current situation and history.

Read up on Final Cut Pro X and what that did to the confidence of the Pro market who relied on the software.
Check the forums for Aperture users who have NO IDEA when or if an update is coming beyond RAW support and iCloud integration, while Lightroom improves, adds features and includes customers in open BETA releases.

I do have a future scenario, but where there was once loyalty and trust and probably a wincy little bit of entitlement from me, there is now an unpredictability and uncharacteristic misjudgement from Apple that though rare, has been unnervingly exemplified in the recent Beta release of iWork.

Perhaps they needed a separate 'iWork Pro' release. Perhaps they could have finished the current betas before release. perhaps they should have re-thought the iOS implementation rather than the other way around. Perhaps there could be a little more forthcoming information from Apple so I wouldn't have to waste my time on forums having petty arguments with you about whether 'collaborative proof reading' is a worthy replacement for the other magnitude of features and tools that they decided users like me (and there are a lot of us) don't need any more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
As anyone who develops software and applications knows, sometimes you have to take some steps back to move forward. Particularly when starting over with a new platform which Apple just did with iWork. They must have a lot planned to have rewritten the apps from the ground up. That takes a massive amount of effort, time, and expense.

I understand this argument, but it's still very tough on longtime users of these apps to find that the new versions not only don't have many of the features that they've come to rely on, but that just opening an old document in the new app hoses that document instantly. This kind of thing should never happen. Apple can be masterful at technology transitions, but they totally muffed this one.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
This is becoming clearer that the iWork re-write is following the other re-write of Apple software. As of now - Final Cut Pro X has had a lot of the features replaced and users of this software are more happy with it now and see it improving.

The last updates to iPhoto and iMovie were quite good and have been working with photos and videos and like the increase in speed and stability.

Now with regards to iWork - the re-write is far more complicated than other native client applications if you are going to make it cross compatible and usable across multiple platforms and the web. There is no painless way to do this. Period. Apple made a decision to do the re-write and implement sooner rather than later with the cost being recognized as a loss in some features. I am not going to argue that it does not impact those who are using iWork for business or work. It did and it will until the feature set gets replaced.

The good news is that it is obvious that Apple is continuing its investment in the software. Prior to all of these changes there was broad based concern that investment and attention from Apple on iWork has ceased. Well it has not.

The benefit of Apple's approach is that it will be easier to have a true cross platform productivity suite that will not have a cost in features across the desktop/laptop and mobile.

In contrast - while Microsoft has a feature rich native client app (the standard really) - the complimentary apps in the web are not the same and does not have feature parity. Not even close. They also do not have a tablet version of the application because they are relying on MS office apps running on full blown Windows on the Surface. The much rumored Office for iOS is not yet here and will not have feature commonality with the native client Office - I am not sure it can since iOS is a much much different platform than Windows. One only needs to look at Office for Mac to realize its a totally different application.

While this approach has significant short term down side for iWork - I think the long term upside is far more significant.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I don't like Microsoft's monopoly on office applications any more than anybody else, but until I can reliably open MS Office files and have them look correct, and until documents I create in iWork look the same when others open them in Office, iWork simply isn't usable as a primary application.

You can't even get that with different versions of Word.

----------

There are a lot of people here defending the current iWork applications citing the fact that Apple would have had to build the suite 'From the Ground up' (I love it when people say that - so technical!) and it's a universal platform etc. New features are coming, and so on.

While this may be true, the fact remains that features and therefore workflow have been reduced in what is essentially a public beta program. If features are to be gradually added back in when it's possible to do it across platforms, then it's likely that the software wasn't ready for this new launch. There is no reason that the whole cross platform universal iWork project couldn't have waited until it was of equal value to the feature rich(er) previous versions.

Personally, I need to use iWork on my desktop today. I can live with not having iCloud and share features, web apps and iOS for the time being, but free or not the new iWork OSX implementation is severely lacking in functionality. The oversimplification of Numbers has crippled my workflow and costs me more time and effort sussing out complicated workarounds to simple UI or menu problems. And these are just the problems that can be found on a superficial level - some of the formatting and rendering problems are perhaps more critical.

I love Apple software - I generally use stock applications (Mail, Calendar, Safari etc) across the board. I always thought Numbers and Pages wiped the floor with MS Office personally, but this release is too beta and it's not funny.
BTW It reminds me of the MobileMe debacle, so please don't think I'm going all 'This wouldn't have happened under Jobs' on you.

If Apple have the faculty to fix this, and they are presumably aware of the problems, then perhaps they should have waited until the software was ready before crippling it.

And also, I'm not expecting that Apple can just throw resources at it and that's why they got it wrong. I think it's deeper than that; I think that from the developer stand point iWork was mistakenly simplified to get it to release as quickly as possible to showcase universal cloud based applications in the wild - no mean feat to be sure, but at the expense of a clear usability and feature set Apple's judgement and timing is clearly off this time.

Yes, you can use the previous versions, and I do. But defending Apple tooth and nail is a little blind and it doesn't change the fact that (shock-horror!) they actually got this one wrong.

QFT. Bravo.

----------

Collaboration is something that can be useful for proof reading of a document and to get an ok from someone else that now also can edit the document directly, regardless of native OS. The new version also supports docx and epub formats, just to name some improvements.

The price the existing user base paid for collaboration is having scores of useful features removed, and the documents they created with those features destroyed. It should not have been an either/or proposition. I keep promising myself that I won't get involved in another thread on this debate but get sucked in when someone continues to try to minimize the impact of this "upgrade" on people who've been using these apps productively for years.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
QFT. Bravo.

Don't confuse truth with opinion.

The price the existing user base paid for collaboration is having scores of useful features removed, and the documents they created with those features destroyed. It should not have been an either/or proposition. I keep promising myself that I won't get involved in another thread on this debate but get sucked in when someone continues to try to minimize the impact of this "upgrade" on people who've been using these apps productively for years.

Nonsense, I belong to the existing user base, non of my features are removed. The only thing I agree with is the auto save feature that can mess up older documents, that's serious.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Don't confuse truth with opinion.

Everything he said was true, even if you choose not to accept it.

Nonsense, I belong to the existing user base, non of my features are removed. The only thing I agree with is the auto save feature that can mess up older documents, that's serious.

None of your features? Well, how nice for you that you never discovered anything beyond the basics. Many of us got much more deeply into Pages than you did evidently. We cannot use the new version, full stop.

Text box linkages: gone.
Insert sections: gone.

Both of these powerful features became essential to my workflow, so losing them was a total deal killer. Possibly they need to be explained to you, since you never found them on your own, but the very idea that they aren't important to anyone because they aren't important to you is utterly ludicrous.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
None of your features? Well, how nice for you that you never discovered anything beyond the basics. Many of us got much more deeply into Pages than you did evidently. We cannot use the new version, full stop.

Text box linkages: gone.
Insert sections: gone.

Both of these powerful features became essential to my workflow, so losing them was a total deal killer. Possibly they need to be explained to you, since you never found them on your own, but the very idea that they aren't important to anyone because they aren't important to you is utterly ludicrous.

Let me explain, non of your features either! That is, the features of the version you know and use remains the same.

I added some actual improvements in the new version, because previous poster remained that collaboration was useless, and the addition of docx and epub. Non of these features removes any functions in your version of Pages. Got it?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK

This is the problem right here. The "don't worry about losing the features I never used - let's worry about the features that I know about" argument.

I've heard this touted a number of times. Apple support themselves have acknowledged that some of the tools and features across the whole of iWork are missing:
From Apple Support Knowledgebase -
"In rewriting these applications, some features from iWork ’09 were not available for the initial release".

It's these features that people like me are Pissing and moaning about. You saying that none of YOUR features have been removed is like someone not giving a thud about adobe going cloud subscription because they only used elements.

For example.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
This is the problem right here. The "don't worry about losing the features I never used - let's worry about the features that I know about" argument.

The problem is one of reading comprehension. It's not only my features, and it's not dependent on knowledge at all! The features in iWork 09 remains regardless of the new version. Previous poster claimed they were removed as a consequence of the new version, and that was the price current users had to "pay", to which I replied nonsense.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
The problem is one of reading comprehension. It's not only my features, and it's not dependent on knowledge at all! The features in iWork 09 remains regardless of the new version. Previous poster claimed they were removed as a consequence of the new version, and that was the price current users had to "pay", to which I replied nonsense.

...is this a having the last word thing?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Let me explain, non of your features either! That is, the features of the version you know and use remains the same.

I added some actual improvements in the new version, because previous poster remained that collaboration was useless, and the addition of docx and epub. Non of these features removes any functions in your version of Pages. Got it?

What are you talking about now? We were talking about the missing features in the new version, not the obviously silly argument that you don't lose those features if you don't use the new version. (Though actually you can, if you didn't know that the new version overwrites the old version of your documents, so any use of the old Pages features would be lost and the document would now not open in the old version.)

BTW, the previous version of Pages opens docx files, so that isn't even a new feature. The epub feature isn't very important either, since iBooks Author can import Pages files.

It isn't nonsense when it is completely true. The price for the collaboration feature is the loss of the other features because collaboration isn't in the old version and the new version deleted the other features. Got it yet?

----------

...is this a having the last word thing?

Apparently. His argument is becoming totally loopy.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple

See https://discussions.apple.com/message/23488122#23488122

Just for papers missing features and so called improvements in the "UP"date:

1. Selecting non-contiguous text - gone
2. Outline view appears - gone
3. Customizable Toolbar - gone
4. Many templates - gone
5. Captured pages - gone
6. Reorganize pages by dragging - gone
7. Duplicate pages - gone
8. Subscript/superscript buttons - gone
9. Select all instances of a Style - gone
10. Retain zoom level of document - gone
11. Facing pages - gone
12. Floating inspector panel - gone
13. Pasting an image (as opposed to drag and drop) used to default to "Inline with text" - gone
14. Custom text autocorrect - gone.
15. Vertical ruler - gone.
16. Save as a Word document - kind of gone, now I have to go through the Export menu.

Do we need to list more. So, where are the feature you claim are not missing in theis great new version:rolleyes:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
What are you talking about now? We were talking about the missing features in the new version, not the obviously silly argument that you don't lose those features if you don't use the new version. (Though actually you can, if you didn't know that the new version overwrites the old version of your documents, so any use of the old Pages features would be lost and the document would now not open in the old version.)

My argument all along has been that you can and should continue to use the old version if you depend on features that is missing in the new version. Your argument that collaboration and other features in the new version is added at the price of those lost features is not relevant since you can continue to use the old version.

BTW, the previous version of Pages opens docx files, so that isn't even a new feature. The epub feature isn't very important either, since iBooks Author can import Pages files.

You can not export docx, and it's not listed as a supported format in Apple's documentation.

It isn't nonsense when it is completely true. The price for the collaboration feature is the loss of the other features because collaboration isn't in the old version and the new version deleted the other features. Got it yet?

Yes, but you still have the old version. I'm sorry for not joining you in the bashing, collaboration was mentioned as a useless toy feature that no one would have any use of. I just added a counter argument to that, to which you again brought up the old version.

----------

I'm talking about Pages 09, my point is if you were a previous user just continue to use Pages 09, none of it's features are missing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My argument all along has been that you can and should continue to use the old version if you depend on features that is missing in the new version. Your argument that collaboration and other features in the new version is added at the price of those lost features is not relevant since you can continue to use the old version.

You can not export docx, and it's not listed as a supported format in Apple's documentation.

Yes, but you still have the old version. I'm sorry for not joining you in the bashing, collaboration was mentioned as a useless toy feature that no one would have any use of. I just added a counter argument to that, to which you again brought up the old version.

Well, duh. I suppose I should be overjoyed that Apple didn't reach into my hard drive and delete the old version when I downloaded the new one. Is that the sum total of your point?

As has already been said, longtime Pages users have been waiting patiently for years for an update, but instead got a substantial downgrade. So we cannot be assured that the older, now unsupported version will continue to function for much longer. We are fortunate that it hasn't been broken by an OS update yet, but that could easily be coming, since Apple clearly expects users to move on to the new version. Not a good place to be, as you should agree, but probably won't.

The older version of Pages reads docx, precisely as I said.

Please indicate where I bashed collaboration. I'd be really interested to know where you got that one. In fact we had a collaboration feature in iWork that Apple developed halfheartedly for a couple of years, and then abandoned. It would be great to have it back again, but not at the cost of losing important features and screwing up my workflow completely. That just isn't a happening thing.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Well, duh. I suppose I should be overjoyed that Apple didn't reach into my hard drive and delete the old version when I downloaded the new one. Is that the sum total of your point?

As has already been said, longtime Pages users have been waiting patiently for years for an update, but instead got a substantial downgrade. So we cannot be assured that the older, now unsupported version will continue to function for much longer. We are fortunate that it hasn't been broken by an OS update yet, but that could easily be coming, since Apple clearly expects users to move on to the new version. Not a good place to be, as you should agree, but probably won't.

I'm a long time Pages user, I guess I'm not as tied to it as you to get my work done. To me it's not such a big deal, yes some features are missing in the new version, but on the other hand there are some improvements and Apple has indicated that there are new and previous features that will be added back. I guess I don't feel the need to rant about it in a thread about new collaboration features.

The older version of Pages reads docx, precisely as I said.

Yes, but it doesn't export docx, which is what I said, meaning the support for docx is not complete.

Please indicate where I bashed collaboration. I'd be really interested to know where you got that one. In fact we had a collaboration feature in iWork that Apple developed halfheartedly for a couple of years, and then abandoned. It would be great to have it back again, but not at the cost of losing important features and screwing up my workflow completely. That just isn't a happening thing.

I didn't say that you bashed collaboration, I said it was "mentioned" previously, referring to the other gentleman. In post #44 specifically, ie the post you said contained nothing but the truth. It was a reply to jadot, then you decided to intervene, which is fine but please try to separate who said what.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I'm talking about Pages 09, my point is if you were a previous user just continue to use Pages 09, none of it's features are missing.

True, thats what I am doing. But - what an upgrade! If you really want to continue using the product and preserve it's functionality, we recommend not to use our latest iteration...:rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm a long time Pages user, I guess I'm not as tied to it as you to get my work done. To me it's not such a big deal, yes some features are missing in the new version, but on the other hand there are some improvements and Apple has indicated that there are new and previous features that will be added back. I guess I don't feel the need to rant about it in a thread about new collaboration features.

Yes, but it doesn't export docx, which is what I said, meaning the support for docx is not complete.

I didn't say that you bashed collaboration, I said it was "mentioned" previously, referring to the other gentleman. In post #44 specifically, ie the post you said contained nothing but the truth. It was a reply to jadot, then you decided to intervene, which is fine but please try to separate who said what.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tied to it." I took full advantage of some if not most of its unique features. Anyone who uses the tools the way they were designed to be used, is going to be tied to them in some way.

Ironically a lot of the criticism I have heard over the years about Pages in particular is that it's weak compared to Word. Well, it wasn't before, and I spent a lot of time explaining how to take advantage of the features in Pages that put Word to shame. But it is weak now, so the double irony is that those of us who got beyond the superficial use of Pages, and really saw what it could do, now can't make much if any case for it at all.

Apple's "indications" are far too vague for my purposes, due to the very real risk that a lot of my work will be left stranded. But be assured that if current users didn't raise a poop storm then Apple would not have said even that much. It isn't like they "clarified" the roadmap for iWork before anyone raised a stink.

I took the criticism of collaboration to mean that it was a poor tradeoff for the other features that were lost. I agree to that much. Again, as in it was too big a price to pay. In any case, you have no basis to criticize anyone else for "bashing" the value of any feature, since you have done as much yourself.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean by "tied to it." I took full advantage of some if not most of its unique features. Anyone who uses the tools the way they were designed to be used, is going to be tied to them in some way.

Meaning, I'm not depending on it to get work done and can probably do it in other applications as well, I make it work. I also have Office here as well as Texpad.

Ironically a lot of the criticism I have heard over the years about Pages in particular is that it's weak compared to Word. Well, it wasn't before, and I spent a lot of time explaining how to take advantage of the features in Pages that put Word to shame. But it is weak now, so the double irony is that those of us who got beyond the superficial use of Pages, and really saw what it could do, now can't make much if any case for it at all.

Apple's "indications" are far too vague for my purposes, due to the very real risk that a lot of my work will be left stranded. But be assured that if current users didn't raise a poop storm then Apple would not have said even that much. It isn't like they "clarified" the roadmap for iWork before anyone raised a stink.

What exactly is it you need to do? I use it to write the odd offering, some documentation and requirement specs.

I took the criticism of collaboration to mean that it was a poor tradeoff for the other features that were lost. I agree to that much. Again, as in it was too big a price to pay. In any case, you have no basis to criticize anyone else for "bashing" the value of any feature, since you have done as much yourself.

Yeah but the assumption that it's a question of tradeoff is not necessarily true.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Apple,

Please....just stop putting an "i" in front of everything.

:D

iThat iIs iAll iI iHave iTo iSay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.