Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Is it just me, or are the new iPad Airs really bad (or at least inconsistent) at connecting to non-Apple Wi-Fi networks?

I returned my first iPad Air (T-Mobile) after less than a week because it refused to connect reliably with my Aircard (no sense wasting my T-Mobile data plan when I'm connecting for work with my Sprint Aircard). It would spin around, not connect, or blue screen reboot.

Now, with my second (Verizon) iPad Air, it works a little bit more nicely with the Aircard, but I've been struggling for 15 minutes to get connected to a hotel wi-fi network. It just spins around and around, and when it finally gets to the login screen it freezes up. My iPad mini and older iPads never had this issue?

Whatever happened to "it just works"? Hopefully a software update fixes these issues.

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I have a CISCO wifi at home. Connecting at double the original ipad, about same as Macbook

On recent trip, air connected fine in hotel.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have owned every iPad since the original one. After the iPad 2, both 3 and 4 had poor signal receptions. I currently still have an iPad 2. My iPad 3 and 4 never worked in the diagonal corner of my house (router in the basement at other end). But my iPad air has excellent reception, much better than my iPad 2. Try deleting a saved network and adding the network again.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Yes I just get very inconsistent results. Sometimes it's fast sometimes it's bloody slow.

Seems to me that it's not defective it's just poorly designed. Maintaining my ipad air at the same place I get oscilations between 1 and 3 bars wifi

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I've not had any issues, maybe your Aircard is at fault?

Having tried the Aircard (Sierra Wireless LTE Tri-Fi) on 2 iPad Airs and a retina mini (all LTE models), both with 7.0.3 and 7.0.4, my conclusion is that there is some sort of incompatibility that is making the connection twitchy. It isn't that it won't connect. It just won't always stay connected, or connect as quickly as my iPhone 5s or my old iPad mini (now since traded in) connect to the same.

It's no big deal personally as I planned to sign up for the T-Mobile data plan, but it may be a useful point for someone planning to make a purchase. I used a wi-fi-only iPad mini for the past year. Sprint's Aircard is somewhat slow, but it did the job. I'm not sure I'd do the same with the current performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.