Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
At one point I was looking at the Air in the store after placing my order online for a mini. Then I remembered, I wanted to carry a tablet around in my jacket pocket and the mini is perfect for that.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
There is plenty of audible content that doesn't require a moving picture to accompany it. :eek:
So... are you planning on saying what it is or is it a secret because I'm genuinely curious on why someone would prefer sending stereo audio downward rather than side or front speakers that actually send the audio to the listener.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So... are you planning on saying what it is or is it a secret because I'm genuinely curious on why someone would prefer sending stereo audio downward rather than side or front speakers that actually send the audio to the listener.

It's anything from streaming music to talk shows to podcasts to books. I'm not sure why the specifics matter though. With the speakers where they are, I get some stereo effect in portrait orientation. Stereo doesn't work when the speakers are positioned vertically on top of one another.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
How did cnet and the Verge not notice this? cnet gave mini editors choice rating and the Verge rated it the same as the Air - 9.3/10.

When the iPad 2 and the first mini were released did people complain about color gamut and washed out screens? I have family and friends who own the first mini and never once have they complained about the screen being washed out.

I suspect that Apple sent out review units with better displays and this first batch that goes out to consumers doesn't meet production standards.Thank goodness I didn't take my meds last night, would've missed that.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I have the nexus 7 and the color is washed out on it just like the mini when compared to my Air.

the newest nexus 7? Take a look at this video and tell me you don't see the difference. Go to around 4 minutes.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It's anything from streaming music to talk shows to podcasts to books. I'm not sure why the specifics matter though. With the speakers where they are, I get some stereo effect in portrait orientation. Stereo doesn't work when the speakers are positioned vertically on top of one another.

Well of course the specifics matter. You are trying to formulate the argument that downward facing speakers are more practical than wide stereo speakers that push the audio to the listener. And your examples are what determines whether or not you are justifying or if you have put rational thought into it.

1) The previous large iPads only had a single speaker. So your argument that the experience is crippled by having a (portrait mode) top and bottom speaker doesnt make sense.

2) The iPad is the same height as the previous model. So, despite the lighter weight it is still often supported at the base (either your lap, belly or a desk) so the audio is muffled by obstructions.

3) Most (not all) Podcasts and Audiobooks aren't that dynamic in range. They tend to be mixed down for a simpler listening experience (Mono or a tighter "stereo" range).

4) Immersive Gaming and Movies are the audio experience most popular on iPads and a majority of the time that is done in landscape mode.

Again, I'm not arguing. I was just curious if you actually had a legitimate reason for your defense of side-by-side bottom speaker positioning. Now I know so thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
You guys are making it a much bigger issue than it really is. Unless you want it accurate color reproduction work, it doesn't even matter all that much. I have both. I use both next to each other. I don't see a difference in day to day use. Macrumors looks the same, iMessages look the same hell video looks the same. I can tell red is red. I'm not stressing over the tint of the red.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I had the air and due to all the hype about the mini returned it and waited and got the mini last night. The mini is a great device but I just can't get past the lack of color in the screen compared to the air. Im into photography so color is important to me. Someone on here described looking at websites like Macrumors as if you were looking at the text with saran wrap on the screen. Thats the feeling I get too. Just a bit washed out.

Also the mini I have failed the image retention test. Not sure what that means in real life use, but it sounds like I got the Sharp display that Apple was trying to avoid.

Its too bad we have to play the screen lottery with these products. I know some people do not care about the screen quality and will just say "live with it" but when I pay this much for a product I want the better screen. Hope I don't have to play the lottery with the Air or I will keep Exchanging it.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Not I. I'm not a photographer, and I use my mini more for text than for pictures or videos. So as long as the retina mini turns out to be an upgrade from the previous mini, I'll be happy, even if it isn't quite as colorful as the Air. While waiting on my online order to go through, I visited an Apple Store to compare my older mini against a retina mini. I was surprised that not only did the text look better, but the background was whiter and looked nicer on the retina. If the retina mini I end up receiving has a display as good as the display model, I'll be quite content.

P.S. Who knows, perhaps the washed out retina mini screen will make some of the bright colors of ios 7 a little more comfortable to view. :)

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How did cnet and the Verge not notice this? cnet gave mini editors choice rating and the Verge rated it the same as the Air - 9.3/10.

When the iPad 2 and the first mini were released did people complain about color gamut and washed out screens? I have family and friends who own the first mini and never once have they complained about the screen being washed out.

Perhaps because they aren't as susceptible to wild hyperbole as that gent from reviewed.com was.....

Good grief. I don't see any aliens when I look at photos on my iPad mini. Sure its a litte understaurated and washed out - but as I've been saying in numerous other threads, Apple either gives the mini the iPad 3 treamtent, giving us the perfect display but making the device thicker, heavier and run hotter with less battery life.

OR

They keep what makes the mini so great, and step the display up over two years. This year they give us the sharp retina goodness. Next year they fix the color reproduction.

At some point, its just not possible to make the perfect device. These rMini displays are FIRST generations.....they could never be PERFECT. Apple decided to compromise in ONE area this time rather than several like the iPad 3 and I, for one, am glad they did it this way....

Especially since I don't constantly compare my rMini side by side with anything. When simply looking at the display independent of anything else, it looks just fine. Hell even when I DO compare, "ALIEN" and "ABSURD" are WAY over the top in comparing the difference. Washed-out is all that's needed.

EDIT: FYI - compared with the first gen mini, the rMini is better across the board in saturation, white balance and obviously sharpness. Seems the color gamut stayed roughly the same.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I had the air and due to all the hype about the mini returned it and waited and got the mini last night. The mini is a great device but I just can't get past the lack of color in the screen compared to the air. Im into photography so color is important to me. Someone on here described looking at websites like Macrumors as if you were looking at the text with saran wrap on the screen. Thats the feeling I get too. Just a bit washed out.

Also the mini I have failed the image retention test. Not sure what that means in real life use, but it sounds like I got the Sharp display that Apple was trying to avoid.

Its too bad we have to play the screen lottery with these products. I know some people do not care about the screen quality and will just say "live with it" but when I pay this much for a product I want the better screen. Hope I don't have to play the lottery with the Air or I will keep Exchanging it.

My rMini also failed the image retention test. And I have an Air with a pretty good screen. So the rMini is going back. I may try again in few months but the washed out colours is a deal breaker for me.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Is anyone reconsidering getting the Air over the Mini due to screen issues?

Already reconsidered and returned the Air. It was pretty awesome, but just not portable enough. And the screen sucked.

Happy with the rMini but of course I had an original mini before. With a better screen/processor what would there be to not be happy about?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
My rMini also failed the image retention test. And I have an Air with a pretty good screen. So the rMini is going back. I may try again in few months but the washed out colours is a deal breaker for me.

So I did what you did but did it in the Apple store.
my wife has the ipad 2 but its way too havy and big, so I bought the mini last year and it's good
I ordered the rmini but went to the apple store to play with both side by side.
the air was a winner for me it just great screen size light and just make it more suit to me,
I anded canceling my mini retina at the store and walked out with the ipad air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.