Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mslittlebookowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
This is my first ipad, so far in loving it! But I have one question, when I click on on icloud in settings it has a whole list of features like mail,contacts,safari etc to turn on or off. From what I understand, if I turn it on it would sync with other devices in my acct like my iPhone, I did not want to do that so I switch it off but I also would like to backup using icloud, would safari bookmarks,calendars and mails etc not be backed up since I switch the feature off on the list? And I use hotmail in the mail app, would that be backed up too (unnecessary as hotmail already backs it up)? I hope my question isn't too dumb, I'm learning! Thanks!

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Excuse me, sorry. I think I will refrain and erase my possible wrong answer. iCloud has me wondering also.
You'll get your info here , no doubt.

Mslittlebookowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Excuse me, sorry. I think I will refrain and erase my possible wrong answer. iCloud has me wondering also.
You'll get your info here , no doubt.
Thanks! I guess I could test it if I erased the ipad and restored the ipad from backup lol, hopefully someone can explain it soon :)

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
This is my first ipad, so far in loving it! But I have one question, when I click on on icloud in settings it has a whole list of features like mail,contacts,safari etc to turn on or off. From what I understand, if I turn it on it would sync with other devices in my acct like my iPhone, I did not want to do that so I switch it off but I also would like to backup using icloud, would safari bookmarks,calendars and mails etc not be backed up since I switch the feature off on the list? And I use hotmail in the mail app, would that be backed up too (unnecessary as hotmail already backs it up)? I hope my question isn't too dumb, I'm learning! Thanks!

Mail and Notes will only sync when you are have an iCloud email account.

iCloud will not back anything that you don't have turned on (Green).

Example - You restore your iPad but didn't have Safari turned on to back up (sync). When the iPad restores you will not have any Safari saved book marks synched since they weren't being backed up.

You can however turn safari sync on (green switch under iCloud in settings) and whatever bookmarks were being saved from your iPhone will then sync over to your iPad since they are both using the same apple ID under your iCloud account.

Does this make sense to you?

Last edited:

Mslittlebookowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Mail and Notes will only sync when you are have an iCloud email account.

iCloud will not back anything that you don't have turned on (Green).

Example - You restore your iPad but didn't have Safari turned on to back up (sync). When the iPad restores you will not have any Safari saved book marks synch they weren't being backed up.

You can however turn safari on (green switch under iCloud in settings) and whatever bookmarks were being saved from your iPhone will then sync over to your iPad.

Does this make sense to you?
So I can't backup safari or notes on my ipad without having it being sync to the phone? I guess I should use Itunes to backup as well then.

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
So I can't backup safari or notes on my ipad without having it being sync to the phone? I guess I should use Itunes to backup as well then.

If you choose to back up notes on the iPad you will be synching them with your other devices.

If you wanted to you could set up a separate apple id for iCloud on the iPad. If you never plan on syncing your devices together this is an option.

I am just curious why you wouldn't want to keep both devices in sync with notes and other applications? I Like having my notes on both devices. If I create a note on my iPad and then leave the house without it, I will have that note on my iPhone to look at later.

To each their own, I was just curious why YOU wouldn't want that functionality? :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you choose to back up notes on the iPad you will be synching them with your other devices.

If you wanted to you could set up a separate apple id for iCloud on the iPad. If you never plan on syncing your devices together this is an option.

I am just curious why you wouldn't want to keep both devices in sync with notes and other applications? I Like having my notes on both devices. If I create a note on my iPad and then leave the house without it, I will have that note on my iPhone to look at later.

To each their own, I was just curious why YOU wouldn't want that functionality? :D

Wth all due respect, I disagree with your interpretation.

According to Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US
"Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn't include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo streams, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps."

Since OP isn't syncing their notes, contacts, etc, they are not stored in iCloud, but are stored on the iPad, and that should mean they are included in the backup.

But I could be wrong, so I suggest the OP to try restoring from backup to confirm, before they add too much info to their iPad.

And I'm also curious why OP doesn't want to sync info between iPad and iPhone, it is the best part of my iOS experience.

Mslittlebookowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013

Honestly, there are too much crap on my phone right one that I really need to get rid off but I want to keep the ipad cluttered free as I share it with hubs and my mum occasionally.

----------

Wth all due respect, I disagree with your interpretation.

According to Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US
"Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn't include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo streams, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps."

Since OP isn't syncing their notes, contacts, etc, they are not stored in iCloud, but are stored on the iPad, and that should mean they are included in the backup.

But I could be wrong, so I suggest the OP to try restoring from backup to confirm, before they add too much info to their iPad.

And I'm also curious why OP doesn't want to sync info between iPad and iPhone, it is the best part of my iOS experience.

I agree for most ppl it's really useful! Haha maybe I'm odd lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.