Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
hi guts. this morning i received and installed the velocity solo x2 with my samsung 840 pro 256gb

i had previously installed 10.8.3 and windows 7 64bit using original drive bay with sata 2.

i have incredible write and read speed (using black magic speed test, 460mb/s write and 480mb/s read)

the issue is that i can't boot windows through bootcamp. it crashes. i tried both restarting and shut down (cause it would be a fix for someone).

my boot camp assistant utility doesn't recognize my 256gb ssd and even system preferences, on disk startup option, doesn't see the boot camp partition

what can i do? someone has a solution for me please?

ps mac pro5,1, 10.8.3, pci-e 4x

Put the SSD back into its prior spot and boot into Windows with just an empty x2 card installed. I read somewhere you need to do this for the proper drivers etc to get installed.

xelanaiznac

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
italy
it worked! so, for windows 7 64bit steps are:
1.install mac osx and then windows trough bootcamp connecting your ssd on a mac pro sata2 port (standard port)
2.boot mac pro with boot camp partition using sata2 port with pci express card (empty obviously)installed, so windows could install the drivers of the velocity solo x2. shut down mthe mac pro
3.disconnect the ssd from sata2 port and connect the ssd to the pci express velocity solo card
4.start mac pro pressing alt and choosing windows partition, et voila!

ps restart doesn't work, you have always to turn off the mac pro to switch from mac to windows
example: from mac osx i choose restart, then pressing alt to boot in windows: it doesn't work
i have first to shut down the mac, then i have to turn it on pressing alt and choose windows.

thank you for everyone!!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My Solo X2 and a Sansung 500GB 840 should arrive on my doorstep this Wednseday. I have a 2010 5,1. I'll post when received and installed.

Lou

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
UPS delivered my Solo X2 and my Samsung 840 500GB SSD at 9:30 tonight. Anyway, set it all up and it's working great:D

Lou

Attachments

• Disk Speed Test.jpg
    Disk Speed Test.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 141

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Got up early this morning - Observations:

Faster Boot -
1. Time from button push to gong = Same
2. Time from from white screen to Apple = longer
3. Time from Apple to desktop - Much shorter
4. Total boot time from button push to desktop reduced from 40 seconds to 25 seconds.
5. StartUp items load much faster
6. Everything is snappier - Feels GREAT!!!!

What I am having a heck of a time with is updating the firmware of the drive. The drive has firmware DXT06B0Q and there is an update on the Samsung site to firmware DXT08B0Q. They even provide a Mac version with instructions here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

I was successful in creating a CD in Disk Utility, in fact I have created four of them. When I restart and hold down the option key, the disc I created is indeed shown as a boot option but when I click it, it does show as the boot disc, but then my mouse freezes and nothing happens. Nada:(

Anybody have any ideas:confused:

Lou

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
With Updated Firmware the Write seems to have improved a bit.

Lou

Attachments

• TinyGrab Screen Shot 7-30-13 11.51.17 AM.png
    TinyGrab Screen Shot 7-30-13 11.51.17 AM.png
    882.8 KB · Views: 110

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I'm looking at changing my Samsung 840 from a 3.5" adaptor to this Velocity X2 card to free a drive bay in my 2009 model.

Once of the features I like the most since going to an SSD is the faster boot time.
Is the slow boot issue mentioned in this thread unique to the 2008 Mac Pros or is it the same across all model?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^For me, on a 5,1 Mac Pro, it takes longer for the Apple to appear, but once it does it boots very quickly. Overall Total Boot Time is reduced.

Lou

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It appears that the Mac Pro checks all internal drives before checking external drives (which includes PCIe SSD cards) which puts your boot drive at the end of the system self check, causing a short delay before booting. I have several external drives (RAID and single) and I think they also slow down the boot process somewhat.

However, I seldom boot or re-boot my Mac Pro (it is on 24/7) so the extra 10 or 15 seconds isn't a problem worth worrying about. Without the external drives, it is only a few extra seconds in the entire boot sequence.

-howard

----------

^^^^For me, on a 5,1 Mac Pro, it takes longer for the Apple to appear, but once it does it boots very quickly. Overall Total Boot Time is reduced.

Lou

Do you have more RAM than you previously did? That seems to slow the appearance of the "Apple Logo" to me. Probably due to memory check taking longer.

-howard

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Do you have more RAM than you previously did? That seems to slow the appearance of the "Apple Logo" to me. Probably due to memory check taking longer.

-howard

My machine was delivered with 6GBs of RAM, but I never ran it that way. Before I started it up for the first time I replaced the RAM with 24GBs and I also replaced the Radeon 5770. So no, I have always had 24GBs before and after the installation of the x2 with the SSD.

Lou

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I'm still considering moving my SSD from one of the drive bays in my 4.1 to the Velocity X2 card for better throughput but I can't seem to get confirmation my machine will still sleep OK and that the driverless Newertech eSata card I have in slot 4 will still be OK.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
I'm still considering moving my SSD from one of the drive bays in my 4.1 to the Velocity X2 card for better throughput but I can't seem to get confirmation my machine will still sleep OK and that the driverless Newertech eSata card I have in slot 4 will still be OK.
I can confirm that the computer would sleep OK.
I don't have that eSata card though.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Planning to update the firmware on my Crucial M4, will I need to move it to a SATA bay or is it discoverable on the Solo x2?

MattsanaX

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
Someone mentioned the BootCamp not being able to boot unless you use Option key during early boot process. The only way I CAN boot into Windows is using Restart in OS X then select bootcamp. Because using my GTX 670 disables me from seeing the boot menu...

I'm seriously considering buying this unit so I eventually can get dual 500GB SSDs for Raid0.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Planning to update the firmware on my Crucial M4, will I need to move it to a SATA bay or is it discoverable on the Solo x2?

Wanted to give an update, this went perfectly well seated in the Velocity x2. No need to connect directly to the SATA bus.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^When I tried to update the firmware of my Samsung 840, it would not update from the Solo x2. I needed to move it to one of the SATA connections in one of the drive bays. Wonder what changed:confused:

Lou

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
^^^^When I tried to update the firmware of my Samsung 840, it would not update from the Solo x2. I needed to move it to one of the SATA connections in one of the drive bays. Wonder what changed:confused:

Lou

Not sure? Mine definitely worked with two Crucial M4 drives in Raid 0 in the top PCIe slot. It found the seated one first, then the one I mounted directly above it via the second SATA port (HD bay 4). Maybe the way the samsung firmware tool is written?

pointvicente

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Velocity Solo X2 Now Available

Has anyone been able to upgrade their EFI 32 boot to 64-bit EFI? If so can you boot from the X2 SDD on the original macpro 1,1 2006 (3,1 w/ 64 EFI)? I realize the PCI slots are only 1.0 but I haven't seen anyone with this configuration.

gameoverdude

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Has anyone found a way to mount the drive on the x2 to be recognized as an Internal drive? Currently my ssd is mounted as an External drive. This prevents me from using Backblaze as backup service as they don't support backing up external storage.

I have a MacPro 2008 (3,1) with a crucial m550 as the primary drive on the x2.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Has anyone found a way to mount the drive on the x2 to be recognized as an Internal drive? Currently my ssd is mounted as an External drive. This prevents me from using Backblaze as backup service as they don't support backing up external storage.

I have a MacPro 2008 (3,1) with a crucial m550 as the primary drive on the x2.

Well, it's technically an external drive to OSX, so I don't think there's anyway to mount an external as an internal. I've tried too. I'm not sure about Backblaze, I've never used it. Maybe this would be a good time to contact the developer for a feature request.

gameoverdude

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Well, it's technically an external drive to OSX, so I don't think there's anyway to mount an external as an internal. I've tried too. I'm not sure about Backblaze, I've never used it. Maybe this would be a good time to contact the developer for a feature request.

Looks like Backblaze does support external drives, I just ran into a bug with their client software.

I'd still like to be able to mount it as an Internal drive, if it's at all possible.
I reached out Apricorn support, if they have anything to say I'll post it here.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Comment on 3,1 and BootCamp

One of my machines is a 3,1, which has the SOLO-X2 installed despite the official word that that configuration is not supported. For best performance, you should use the slot next to the graphics card.

The system is now used by my wife, so it does not any longer have BootCamp. But previously, I had BootCamp on the system. Both of us have the SSD on the card set up as part of of a Fusion drive. I also used it standalone as a boot SSD. Both of these configurations worked fine.

Booting Windows proved to be a challenge. It turns out that it only went through legacy boot, if BOTH eSATA ports on the card where occupied! I also had to let Windows configure from a standard slot before connecting it to the SOLO-X2. While I was doing that, I had to plug in a spare 2.5 in drive into the second SOLO-X2 slot to keep it occupied.

Before migrating to a 5,1, my configuration was to use the card slot for a 960GB SSD part of the Fusion drive booting the system and a second 512GB to boot Windows 7-64. Power was routed from the optical drive bay.

On the 5,1 I use the internal connectors of a FASTA 6GU3-Pro card for the same purpose. It has 4 eSATA ports, two of which are external. It also has 2 USB 3 ports (not bootable.) Booting both 10.10 and Windows works well.

BTW, I ended up splurging on a DX4 mount and cable kit for the SSDs, which really cleans up the inside instead of having an SSD just flopping around. Keeps them running much cooler, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.