Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
The OP should be confused after some of these replies. A little dust should not. Make the connection loose. Take it to the Apple store and they will replace. It is a rare but known problem.

Actually, I just had this exact same issue, and it WAS just compacted dust and pocket lint in the back of the lightning port of my iPhone 5 that was making the connector loose (and I mean so loose that I could barely get it to charge). I used a soft toothpick and dug out more crap than one would think could be hiding in there, and now my lightning cable is totally snug again and charges flawlessly.

hugorrr

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2013
Actually, I just had this exact same issue, and it WAS just compacted dust and pocket lint in the back of the lightning port of my iPhone 5 that was making the connector loose (and I mean so loose that I could barely get it to charge). I used a soft toothpick and dug out more crap than one would think could be hiding in there, and now my lightning cable is totally snug again and charges flawlessly.

I had this problem as well, and it was also caused by lint.

I really didn't think that this was the problem, but it was. I used a flat wooden toothpick to carefully scrape it out. I'll post a picture of the lint so you'll get an idea of how much was actually in there.

JLAPIsV.jpg

Reactions: timhea

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I had a bunch of lint inside my lightning receptacle, as well. Blowing it with compressed “air” alone didn’t do the trick. I used a 2-mm flat-blade screw driver to carefully loosen the lint and then blew it out.

tommead

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Lint problem

Tried compressed air. Tried rubber and wooden tooth thingies. Tried paperclip. Finally, DESPERATE, I squeezed a drop of alcohol from an alcohol-swab into the hole. Donned my extremely near-point super-glasses, for splitting atoms. Carefully dug out now-wettish crud with paper-clip. I think maybe I'm fixed. Trying to imagine a PLUG for the thing, when it's in my pocket. It would be a circa-$30 thing to snip off the business-end of an actual lightning connector, to use it as a plug. Ouch. What else might work...? Compressable ear-mold hearing-protector ****...? How 'bout a carefully scissored tiny strip of duct-tape...? Oh, there's that Saran Wrap plastic wrap stuff that actually STICKS. Would a magnet be attracted? Would it stick? THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Make a lint-free pocket liner. Keep it plugged in and call it your new LAND-LINE. How about CORK...?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yep this lint comes from nasty pockets!:eek:

----------

I had this problem as well, and it was also caused by lint.

I really didn't think that this was the problem, but it was. I used a flat wooden toothpick to carefully scrape it out. I'll post a picture of the lint so you'll get an idea of how much was actually in there.

Good Grief! That was in your charge socket? Looks like someone got a hair cut!

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
Wow. I love this thread. I's attributed poor connection/charging and wonky seating of the lightning pin to Apple's almighty planned obsolescence. Until I set to my iPhone with a Victorinox toothpick!!!

563250C3-AA42-4AC8-903D-025936CA86CA.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I had this problem a year or so ago. Thought my phone would be replaced but the applestore genius just used the sim tray tool in a quite aggressive way scraping out an unimaginable amount of dirt. Lesson here is you can be quite rough and it's fine

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
SOMEONE STICKY THIS THREAD.

Seriously, I was positive it couldn't be lint. The port is pretty deep and there was no visual sign of buildup. Stuck a toothpick in there and out it all came.

100% fixed an issue I was certain was a bad cable. Thankyou thread!

Lecso

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
The OP should be confused after some of these replies. A little dust should not. Make the connection loose. Take it to the Apple store and they will replace. It is a rare but known problem.

Actually it does make the connection seem loose. What happens is the dust and fluff gets really tightly compacted in the bottom of the lightning port. As this layer builds up it prevents the lightning plug from going all the way in, so it fails to 'click' into place. In this state the plug wobbles slightly from side to side, and doesn't make a good connection with the charging circuit.

This just happened to me and even by shining a strong light into the port you cannot see the stuff, but it's there. I was convinced there was no dust in it and the port was faulty, but after a little poking around with a straightened paper clip it just started coming and coming, like a magician pulling handkerchiefs out of his sleeve...

timhea

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
Was having charging/loose lightning port connection problem for weeks. Couldn't believe it could be from lint in the port, but that was it! SIMPLE FIX

leart78

Suspended
Nov 17, 2013
I have a similar issue.

Hello,
I recently purchased a 128gb iPad 4th Generation about a month ago, and it has been used only lightly, but already the lightning connector port (the inside of the port) feels a little "wobbly." There's been no trouble connecting and charging (thus far) and the connector stays latched to the device, and I think it's "too soon" to exchange it, since it's still mostly (sans the aforementioned port) in mint condition, my question is, should I worry? Is this common in similar iDevices, am I just noticing this slight rocking back and forth (vertically towards and from the "home" button only, not right and left) of the inside of the connector port just now? Is this normal? Will this become an issue?
I've noticed similar posts across the web regarding the issue with the lightning connector port, and iDevices are not cheap in price or in construction, hopefully Apple will address this design flaw in their otherwise spectacular products.
Thank you for the advice.
could you tell your experience now after all those years? how that connector resisted to the time?
thnx

Charles Butcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Norfolk, UK
Just a quick thank you to everyone who recommended fluff removal. This worked very well for my iPhone SE. I used a thin piece of wood to remove the fluff – not an enormous amount, but enough to make the Lightning connector loose. It's working fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.