Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Can only comment on my iPad Air, which is a very nice machine. I'm sure the "mini" issues will get worked out in time. That said, is there anything about it that's *worse* than the previous generation?

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I see it this way: Apple is making money on their products (guess amazon and google are not). LTPS probably would have been more expensive thus Apple opted for IGZO.
For me personally this is no problem, because the mini is an Air (same SoC, same battery life, same resolution) but 100 bucks cheaper, there has to be SOME drawback. Waiting for mine :)

dvswede

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
So how noticeable is this if I look at pictures of my kids and hold a Air in one hand and a Retina mini in the other?

I prefer the size of the mini but I do spend a lot of time looking at pictures so this worries me a bit.

That said I have no idea what these numbers mean in real life.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
For a premium priced product...

For a premium priced product, you gotta get it right. That said, the vast majority of people I see when I got into an Apple store don't have a clue about this stuff. Their eyes would glaze over in a heartbeat at the word "color gamut".

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
There is a big article on CNN where they interviewed the typhoon victims about the iPad mini with Retina Display. The one woman stated "what happened hear pales in comparison to the color gamut issues that are rampant in the new iPad mini with Retina Display".

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Lucked out

I was going back and forth and decided on the air. Between this and the image retention issue I'm glad I did. And the extra screen real estate is nice too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
…because this really affected iPad mini sales how?

I've been using a Kindle Fire HD for a week and hated it. The screen isn't everything.

Well according to MacRumors apparently it is. But hey the wonderful thing is there is choice so people unhappy with the mini can get a nexus 7 or kindle fire. :)

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I am thankful for these comparisons and think it will only help display quality to improve.

As a videophile, I sort of laugh though when people are complaining about color accuracy on a 7" screen that costs $399 when they purchase a new $2,000 60" HDTV and would never once think about getting the screen calibrated so that it is "accurate".

I feel like these tablets are being held to a much higher standard than HDTV's that can cost 5-10x as much, but still hope that Apple can improve their display quality going forward.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
what is Color Gamut :confused:
It's the range of colors the display is capable of producing. It also means there can be some color shift if the gamut isn't balanced.

Here's a comparison of the new iPad Mini with Retina display next to my iPhone 5. Notice how washed out and dull the iPad Mini is:

ipadiphone.jpg

Some people are saying they don't notice it unless you compare two devices side-by-side, but it was glaringly obvious to me the moment I picked it up.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
There is a big article on CNN where they interviewed the typhoon victims about the iPad mini with Retina Display. The one woman stated "what happened hear pales in comparison to the color gamut issues that are rampant in the new iPad mini with Retina Display".

There's always that one guy...

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

Sure. Someone always has it worse. Why care about anything then? Certainly not product quality. Let's just stop caring and accept worse and worse products!

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
Well, before it was known for sure that the mini 2 would have retina screen I read so many people here saying that it was a must-have for the 2... a deal breaker if it did not have it. So bottom line is this: would you prefer they had stuck with the old non-retina screen, or gone to retina... albeit with a screen with a little inferior color gamut range?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Damn you people are so ANNOYING!!! Shut up already and stop your whining. The RiPad Mini is fine. People are way too picky!!!

But not perfect. And when it comes to Apple and their prices and their so called 'premium' product category, people expect perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I am thankful for these comparisons and think it will only help display quality to improve.

As a videophile, I sort of laugh though when people are complaining about color accuracy on a 7" screen that costs $399 when they purchase a new $2,000 60" HDTV and would never once think about getting the screen calibrated so that it is "accurate".

I feel like these tablets are being held to a much higher standard than HDTV's that can cost 5-10x as much, but still hope that Apple can improve their display quality going forward.

exactly. a good 90% of consumers have no idea what color gamuts are and more than likely couldn't distinguish between variances unless they were pointed out to them. Color accuracy is important for photo and video work, neither of which is done on an iPad in any meaningful capacity. If anything, having a less saturated display will help to cut down on all the artificial color enhancements the world of marketing has given us. As long as i don't see banding or harsh gradients, i'm pretty sure the colors on my iPad mini display are just fine, for me, and for 99% of consumers.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
consensus appears to be that retina mini is still better than 1st gen mini, but not as good as full iPad.

I can live with that...

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Beats me? but Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/3) had a few pictures on their site comparing iPad Air and Rmini. I could see some difference but I think I'll go with the Rmini anyway.

Gamut: the complete range or scope of something. In this case, color. The range of colors that can be produced by the display. The mini has a significantly smaller range of reproducible colors (~60%) versus an iPad air or Nexus/Kindle. Due to this, the screen looks muted and certain colors look drained of "life" or vibrance.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
That seems to be lost on a lot of people. :p

Perhaps he/she means to say that by the time you zoom in to a size large enough to read the small print (i.e. us people with inferior reading ability :))... you can't see too much of the page you are looking at, and keep having to zoom back out to locate yourself and move on. With the larger size screen... you see the same stuff, but it's bigger. Bigger is better, right :D

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I took my iPad Mini with Retina Display back yesterday in favor of an iPad Air.

I'm returning my Retina iPad Mini too. Not only are the colors washed out and the gamma too low, mine had a color tint that relative from one side to the other went from yellow to pink. Other than the Retina resolution the display in the Retina iPad Mini is not good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.