Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
K
I have a problem with the 3.1.8 update. Every time I use Google now and press home, it asks me for my default launcher. Even if pressed always. It does it every time. I've cleared defaults of the stock launcher, and it still does it!

Once I uninstalled the 3.1.8 update, it works fine again. It seems to be a bug that affects some samsung devices.

I wish they can fix this soon, I love the GEL launcher!

In my case, on my S4, it was taking me back to my previous launcher. Since I am rooted, I froze my old launcher with Titanium Backup and have not had that problem since.

However, after locking the phone, putting it to sleep and then unlocking it puts me into the phone app and the launcher redraws everytime.

I have to say that I too am really liking the new launcher.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Question:

I installed the GEL and Search Update, everything is running perfectly on my Nexus 7 v2, including the "Ok Google" command on home screen.

However, one thing I can't figure out for some reason, maybe I'm completely overlooking it. How do you delete pages? Right now I have two, one with all my desired icons (home) and one blank page. How do I get rid of it? I realized you can make a new page by clicking an icon and dragging it to the side (like on iOS) but I can't figure out how to delete.

EDIT: Strange, I had one completely blank page that wouldn't go away, but I simply powered it off and turned the N7 back on and it's gone. Now when I make a new page, and then remove the app from the page it goes away automatically, must have been a little glitch.

On a side note, I love the launcher, however I sort of miss the customizations of Nova. Either way, I really like the new app drawer, with the semi-see through background and how the widgets are now seperated from the apps.

Last edited:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
that's the problem with you southern hemisphere boys - can't get your timing right. We're only getting started up here. :) . Nice to see the rugby in there. Just in time for the Heineken cup!

There's no national teams included, the NRL (Rugby League) and Super Rugby (Rugby Union) have definitely been added though. I don't follow Union anymore so I'll have to wait until next year to test it out with the next NRL season.

samjwitwicky

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I managed to find out my problem. I downloaded Launcher Switcher and found out that I had a rogue carrier app that presented itself as a launcher. Once i deleted that app, there were no more clear default launcher issues. Hope this helps you.

K

In my case, on my S4, it was taking me back to my previous launcher. Since I am rooted, I froze my old launcher with Titanium Backup and have not had that problem since.

However, after locking the phone, putting it to sleep and then unlocking it puts me into the phone app and the launcher redraws everytime.

I have to say that I too am really liking the new launcher.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Google Now is simply fantastic.

I've got it running in its latest rev on my Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 5. What an impressive advancement over Siri.

Now that Google's proven what's possible perhaps Apple will try to catch up.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Wasn't a fan of the GEL. Sticking with Nova Launcher Prime + Kit Kat Experience / Icons ($1 on the Play Store, amazingly good)

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I managed to find out my problem. I downloaded Launcher Switcher and found out that I had a rogue carrier app that presented itself as a launcher. Once i deleted that app, there were no more clear default launcher issues. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What I had done was Greenify the Google Search app to keep it from running in the background. Since the new Google Launcher is part of Google Search, Greenify would put it to sleep whenever I locked the phone, and thus kill the launcher.

Un-Greenifying Google Search has helped. I no longer lose my launcher when I lock the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.