Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I recently got a Haswell 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a 2.6 GHz processor, 16 GiB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. Problem is, I hate glossy screens with a fiery passion, and this baby is rather glossy.

Please recommend a matte (antiglare) adhesive film that I can slap on this sucker. What is good? What is bad?

Thanks.

Jah2013

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
+1 im interested too. Only other option I see is to use screen glasses to make the use of it atleast more comfortable if glossy cant be avoided.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I am in the same boat. Currently I have a matte MBP but there aren't any more of those. I will have to get such a film again.
I once used ARM200 from 3M Vikuiti once on an old Samsung. Very good film and it still looks good on the 8 year old notebook.

Just stay away from some of the easy to apply stuff. If it is too easy results are bad. There must not be any air between film and screen to get the best results. Also a bit of AR along with the AG is very useful IMO like the 3M film has. Those are resold under a number of brands but with many you don't really know what you get. AR often gives it a bluish or red sometimes yellow tint if viewed from the side which is why many manfucaturers don't use it but the results are great and there is no tint from normal viewing positions. The not reflected light has to be redirected somewhere.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...ikuiti_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Since it isn't a touch display, I think all of those work. The standard ARM200 I had doesn't work on touch displays.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
For my MacBook Air (since my MBP has an anti-glare screen), I use the iVizor made by Moshi. Their website is moshimonde.com. This matte screen costs more than the cheap ones you get on ebay. The reason is that the adhesive is only found on the bezel portion. This means that the matte film sits on top of the Mac's screen without any adhesion. Therefore there are no bubbles since there is no adhesion to the screen itself.

It is not as good as a dedicated anti-glare screen produced by Apple, but in my view it's the next best thing. Those bubbles would drive me nuts.

By the way, if you absolutely need a matte/anti-glare screen -- and you realise Apple has cut the anti-glare entirely from its lineup -- can I say it: IT IS YOUR FAULT. There's been a wordpress petition out there, and the support from the Apple community has been very poor.

I can't actually tell you the URL for this matte petition because the MacRumors moderator bans people who give the websites of petitions. But that's another example of the Mac community not being supportive of the needs of users who need matte screens. But if you search Google for Mac and matte, you'll find the wordpress petition.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I really thought glossy was going to be a problem for me coming from a 17" anti-glare display (and another matte display before that), but it's been a non-issue for me so far. Apple seem to have found a pretty good balance in terms of cutting down the reflections on these displays.

My part of the world is pretty dark these days though--that may have something to do with it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.