Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia have agreed to a $17 million settlement with Google over the company's circumvention of privacy settings in Safari, reports PCWorld. Google previously agreed to a $22.5 million settlement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to settle a similar case between the company and the federal government.

Google took advantage of a loophole in Safari's privacy settings designed to prevent placement of third-party cookies by default, using invisible web forms to trick Safari into thinking that users had interacted with Google's ads and thus allowing cookies to be placed on the device.

google_safari_ios_tracking.jpg
Graphic from The Wall Street Journal
"Consumers should be able to know whether there are other eyes surfing the web with them," [New York Attorney General Eric] Schneiderman said in a statement. "By tracking millions of people without their knowledge, Google violated not only their privacy, but also their trust."

Google said it was pleased to reach the settlement. "We work hard to get privacy right at Google and have taken steps to remove the ad cookies, which collected no personal information, from Apple's browsers," a spokeswoman said by email.
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin were all involved in the settlement.

Article Link: Google to Pay $17 Million Settlement to States in Safari Privacy Circumvention Case

Djtrackie

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Google said:
Google said it was pleased to reach the settlement. "We work hard to get into your privacy right at Google" a spokeswoman said by email.

fixed it

clarsen

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
This is all well and good that the states settled, but I was the one that "suffered" so where is my money?:confused:

rshoff

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Wow, 17million. What a punishment! Ya know, hackers get sent to jail for years when they breach a corporate server. Why does Google get off so easily for hacking millions of personal computers residing in people's homes with their security settings set for privacy?! Let me answer that, they shouldn't.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Wow, 17million. What a punishment! Ya know, hackers get sent to jail for years when they breach a corporate server. Why does Google get off so easily for hacking millions of personal computers residing in people's homes with their security settings set for privacy?! Let me answer that, they shouldn't.

Because they have 50 billion dollars and the hacker doesn't.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So the feds fine Google because they violated citizen's privacy, but the feds are keeping the money...?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Gave up Chrome after having upgraded to Mavericks. I use Safari 99% of time and Firefox for some very specific tasks.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
"We work hard to get privacy right at Google and have taken steps to remove the ad cookies, which collected no personal information, from Apple's browsers," a spokeswoman said by email."

Dont they work ever soooooo hard to get privacy right. I imagine it was such amazingly hard work to remove the ad cookies. I mean compared to coming up with this scheme and implementing it in the first place. Well done google, well done. </sarcasm>

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.