Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,

I do have an issue to play Witcher 2 on my mac properly, so basically game quits itselfs unexpectedly, so I have decided to ask Steam forum about that issue. Thankfully I got replied, steam user asked me that do I have lots save files or not, that actually I have. Anyway, So do you know where mac saves files for Witcher 2 ? I have plenty save files and I really need to get rid of them.

Thank you so much.

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
I am having a similar issue.

Playing W2 via Steam in OSX. Game unexpectedly quits from time-to-time, particularly when I manually "Save Game" (which is eye-poppingly annoying).

Grateful for any advice. I do not think I have a particularly high number of saves as I am only 1/3 through my first playthrough of the game.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Sorry to say this but, that's steam for ya..........

Got my copy from GoG not tied to steam or anywhere else, hence no problems.

As for your save files, try here -

Users/"Login Name here"/Library/Application Support/com.vpltd.TheWitcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/

Last edited:

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
I am not a big Steam user, but I have not encountered this problem with other titles I do play via Steam.

At the moment it seems about a 50/50 chance whether the game will crash whenever I save game or attempt to load a saved game.

Does anyone know a way to mitigate this? It is really quite infuriating!

Thanks.

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
I feel like a complete muppet but for the life of me I cannot find where Steam stores save files! Am I just being thick? My Library folder has no Application Support sub-folder...

Last edited:

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
I know bumps are bad form, but I am going to put one on this thread as I am having a lot of difficulty with crashes whenever (i) the game saves or (ii) I try to load a saved game. I would estimate it crashes over 50% of the time, which makes the game un-playable.

Any thoughts / advice gratefully received. Is this likely to be a Steam issue or a Witcher 2 issue? Has anyone had any sucess getting refunds from Steam before?

Thanks.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
I know bumps are bad form, but I am going to put one on this thread as I am having a lot of difficulty with crashes whenever (i) the game saves or (ii) I try to load a saved game. I would estimate it crashes over 50% of the time, which makes the game un-playable.

Any thoughts / advice gratefully received. Is this likely to be a Steam issue or a Witcher 2 issue? Has anyone had any sucess getting refunds from Steam before?

Thanks.

If you have tons of saves files, it crashes like I have experienced. There's a only way to get rid of extra save files, which is to delete it manually. Actually, it took my hour to delete most of them. In the mean time, it always crashed, which caused me to restart game over and over again. Approximately, I have restarted the game more than 50 times, in order to delete files. That game is definitely not designed for mac. Do you know your configuration figures ? Maybe you're computer is not able to handle it, I've go 17 inch 2011 late Macbook Pro, I could only play Medium settings and 1080p resolution. It flows well though

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Thanks.

library/application support/steam/steamapps/common

is where you will find you games installed under steam. I presume you will also find saves under the game itself but if not poke around under library, etc. and you should find them.

As was pointed out above for non-steam, they still may be located here as well:

As for your save files, try here -

Users/"Login Name here"/Library/Application Support/com.vpltd.TheWitcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/

Does the game allow you to delete saves within itself? That would be the easiest way, wouldn't it?

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks, both. I appreciate the responses. This is so annoying...

I do not think my system is the issue. I have a late 2012 iMac with the following BTO:

3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

The game runs smoothly on Ultra. The only issue I have is with saving the game and loading saved games.

I have looked and looked and I cannot find the saved files on my system. My Library folder has no "Application Support" subfolder, or anything similar that would appear to be relevant for that matter. Searching for "com.vpltd" and "Witcher2" on my system also does not yield helpful results. Is it possible it is all stored on the Steam cloud and this is causing the issue?

There's a only way to get rid of extra save files, which is to delete it manually. Actually, it took my hour to delete most of them. In the mean time, it always crashed, which caused me to restart game over and over again. Approximately, I have restarted the game more than 50 times, in order to delete files.

This is exactly where I am at, but unlike you I am not sure if I can handle spending 1-2 hours deleting saved games, crashing and restarting (particularly as I will need to continue doing the same thing for the rest of the game and I am only at the end of Act I)! :(

Jaygyver

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
If you made the Users Library visible, it comes invisible as default, then it sounds like your in the wrong Library folder.
Your looking for your Users account not the HD Library folder, it will have an "Application Support" folder.

Open your HD and find the "Users" folder, open it and click on your named folder, it will have your name on it, you should see the "Application Support" folder now.

If you already did this then I have no more ideas, sorry.....:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.