Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An official at an Apple display supplier in Korea has told the The Korea Times (via Unwired View) that production of a 12.9-inch Retina Display to be used in the next-generation iPad is underway, with the tablet's release set for early next year. The report states that the 12.9-inch iPad will have an improved display nearing ultra high-definition (UHD) quality, which would be significantly bigger and contain many more pixels than Apple's current 9.7-inch iPad Air.
"Apple's local first-tier display supplier is now producing a 12.9-inch Retina Display to be used in the new iPad, which will be coming out sometime early next year," an official at a local Apple supplier in Korea told The Korea Times by telephone Tuesday.

..."The 12.9-inch iPad will have improved picture quality. As the Apple partner intends to boost its lineup for displays that have almost ultra high-definition (UHD) quality, the upcoming iPad will provide very clear quality similar to that of UHD," said the official.
12_9_ipad_ipads_dark-800x450.jpg
Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad next to iPad Air and iPad mini

Reports of a 12.9-inch iPad have surfaced occasionally throughout the past couple of months, with The Wall Street Journal reporting in July that Apple and its suppliers had begun testing screens for a 12.9-inch iPad and a larger iPhone, which followed a sketchy rumor in May that said Apple was launching an "iPad Maxi" to target the ultrabook market. Supply chain research done by NPD DisplaySearch in October also suggested that a 12.9-inch iPad is set for debut next year, though that report did not specify when exactly the tablet would be released.

However, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo countered reports about a larger iPad in a research note last month, stating that he expects the company will instead release a new sixth-generation 9.7-inch iPad with 30%-40% higher pixel density than Apple's current iPad line. Apple just released the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display earlier this month, with the latter experiencing supply constraints, and a new "iPad Pro" would expand the iPad family to encompass three sizes.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Said to Begin Production of 12.9-Inch Retina Display for Early 2014 'iPad Pro'

Opspin

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Movies

I just want an iPad for watching movies in my sofa with my girlfriend, wide screen, 4K resolution, feather light and easy to either hold or put in lap, also some option for watching in bed...

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
It's beautiful isn't when something feels familiar but is entirely new. That's exactly what the iPad Pro is. Its a distillation of, not an enlargement of, the original iPad.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
"Make just a few things, but make them Insanely Great". - SJ

iPhone 5C (yeah, that was a success... :roll eyes: ), iPad Mini, iPad Pro, etc....

Cook needs to stop expanding the lineup. Seriously.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I still think this is the Retina display for next year's Macbook Airs, not iPads.

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I once doubted about the 960 x 640 res screen on an iPhone....
now, any iPad size sounds plausible to me.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
It's beautiful isn't when something feels familiar but is entirely new. That's exactly what the iPad Pro is. Its a distillation of, not an enlargement of, the original iPad.

If it's combined with one of those newfangled multifunction smart keyboard covers for which Apple applied for a patent a couple years ago, it WILL be a game-changer.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012...s-smart-cover-with-built-in-display-keyboard/

Note that Apple applied for the patent well before Microsoft introduced their type cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.