Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
Looks good, except the D-Pad.

The D-Pad looks like crappy one on the Xbox 360, and I wouldn't buy this device because of it. Maybe they'll get it right the second time around.

----------

Nope, Nintendo has, by far, the best implementation.

Sony went with their passable solution only because Nintendo had a patent on their D-pad.
Haha sorry that's just absolutely false. Nintendos is awful compared to Sonys

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I speak from ignorance, so my question might sound stupid but... if the iPhone 5S is a lot more powerful than 3DS and PS Vita, how come the games on these consoles are a lot better than iOS games? Just an honest question.

Because the quality of a game is not dependent on the power of the hardware.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Quite frankly, that controller pretty much removes any type of reasonable portability factor. Who is going to carry that thing in your jacket pocket? I see people carrying a Nintendo 3DS everywhere, but that controller?! I doubt it.

Simply not true. I'd throw that thing (well, not *that* one, I'm not too keen on this current offering, but others that follow I'm sure I'll be more keen on) in my backpack (which is reasonable portability, imo), and depending on duration of the trip, the one I'm buying for my iPad will possibly accompany (or replace) the one for my iPhone.

But there's an entirely different use case you're completely ignoring. This thing stays at home, and your iPhone that you carry in your pocket all day, when you get home you pop your iPhone in this thing and have an even better gaming device than your iPhone alone. This allows you to have just one device, rather than a gaming device and a separate iOS device. For people who own iOS devices and play games and enjoy playing games and want to play even more games, this is perfect, and if that's not you, you're not seeing the value or you aren't the target market.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This market is too tempting and too profitable to be left alone. And it is a natural extension of the AirPlay, AppleTV etc etc

apple's the one who released the API to the third-party market. if they had wanted to make one, they would have. its not their core business.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I speak from ignorance, so my question might sound stupid but... if the iPhone 5S is a lot more powerful than 3DS and PS Vita, how come the games on these consoles are a lot better than iOS games? Just an honest question.

Even with all the overhead associated with physical media, the development budget can be much bigger when a game costs $35+ verses ~$5. And also, since the actual processing hardware doesn't change every year, developers spend time learning how to fully optimize their games for it.

Last edited:

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Brave, both of you to predict this (given the size and popularity of the iOS market), personally I think this is great (also I think you're both very wrong), been waiting for these controllers to hit the market since they were announced. I plan to buy one for my iPhone (though not this one - hate the joysticks being in different positions on the right and left side and it sounds a bit cheap in build) and one for my mini.

Will be interesting to see how this impacts gaming on iOS, especially given the new 64-bit architecture chips and whether my PS3 ends up collecting more dust than it has now.

Maybe I just appreciate the path games have taken to get to where they are now. Not a 5 minute time waster, but an immerse experience that deserves to be played on a 50" screen with high end graphics on a console or computer. There is sadly no way I could be satisfied playing a game on a 4" screen.

Even a screen the size of an iPad mini doesn't really do some of today's better games justice. Not only that, making a controller like these for something like the mini would be unwieldy. Adding into that the quality of the mini screen (even in retina) and it isn't all that great of an experience.

I understand everyone really wants to jump onboard the new A7 as the herald of great things to come. It will take mobile gaming to heights never before seen. It will cut your solitaire times in half and make you find better words while playing Words with Friends. It however will not bring great quality upcoming games like Witcher 3 to your cell phone or iPad. Sure it may make Infinity Blade run smoother, but for those that like rich experiences it will still only offer watered down versions of what games have reached.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong. In a year from now when you see these controllers all over the place you can laugh at me. I won't hold my breath though as most the people I know who own iPhones would be more likely to laugh at someone using these than pick one of these up for themselves.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Your post was full of ignorance and fail no matter how little you care about iOS gaming... Your try to be cool and save the situation even more so. Congrats.

Hahaha, okay buddy. Try proofreading your pathetic posts next time.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Of course, these controllers wouldn't sell well.

there only designed for one tyle of game. Racing games, which is why they only mostly show you a demo of such.

Cool idea though.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
There is absolutely no way I would pay $100 to play games on my iPhone. Screen is too small and games aren't nearly good enough. Wish I could say they were on to something, but I doubt this ever catches on.
Well about a gazillion other people playing games on handheld game consoles with similar screen sizes or only a tad bigger would say otherwise.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Well about a gazillion other people playing games on handheld game consoles with similar screen sizes or only a tad bigger would say otherwise.

Yes you are right, I am sure I will be eating crow in a year or so...I'm sure the 4" screen is the next big thing in the world of gaming...

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Maybe I just appreciate the path games have taken to get to where they are now. Not a 5 minute time waster, but an immerse experience that deserves to be played on a 50" screen with high end graphics on a console or computer. There is sadly no way I could be satisfied playing a game on a 4" screen.

Even a screen the size of an iPad mini doesn't really do some of today's better games justice. Not only that, making a controller like these for something like the mini would be unwieldy. Adding into that the quality of the mini screen (even in retina) and it isn't all that great of an experience.

I understand everyone really wants to jump onboard the new A7 as the herald of great things to come. It will take mobile gaming to heights never before seen. It will cut your solitaire times in half and make you find better words while playing Words with Friends. It however will not bring great quality upcoming games like Witcher 3 to your cell phone or iPad. Sure it may make Infinity Blade run smoother, but for those that like rich experiences it will still only offer watered down versions of what games have reached.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong. In a year from now when you see these controllers all over the place you can laugh at me. I won't hold my breath though as most the people I know who own iPhones would be more likely to laugh at someone using these than pick one of these up for themselves.

Thanks for coming on to this thread to declare your superiority in gaming by bashing iOS gaming and iOS gamers ("non-iOS games are better games," "iOS devices are crap screens (even retina)," "solitaire times will be cut in half," "faster Words with Friends," "I play superior games like Witcher 3 and I'm a serious gamer, not like you "5 minute time wasters"), really appreciate that. That has a name, it's called trolling.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

You mean Call of Duty 27? Grand Theft Auto 12? Games have been stagnant for years, IMO. I'll take an imaginative 5-minute time-waster - or even the 90's games from GOG.com I regularly play - over anything consoles have to offer, and I don't have to pay £50 a pop to do it. I just picked up Total Annihilation from GOG for like $6, and it plays fine on my 15" laptop. I have a lot of fun playing it, too.

My mini plays its games fine. I think you're dwelling too much on technology and not enough on the gameplay. I play Asphalt 8 every day and the "experience" is just great.

I understand everyone really wants to jump onboard the new A7 as the herald of great things to come. It will take mobile gaming to heights never before seen. It will cut your solitaire times in half and make you find better words while playing Words with Friends. It however will not bring great quality upcoming games like Witcher 3 to your cell phone or iPad.

Of course it won't, and no-one is expecting it to - that's really not a valid argument. If I want to play MegaGame 8: More of the Same I'll get a console, not a phone.

Sure it may make Infinity Blade run smoother, but for those that like rich experiences it will still only offer watered down versions of what games have reached.

Not everyone wants/needs those "rich experiences". If you do, fine, get your PlayStation, but some people are happy with mobile gaming, where the games are designed to fit the device. I don't have a quick session with Angry Birds because I want some awe-inspiring "experience" (whatever that actually means in this context) which leaves me sweaty-palmed and breathless, I just want to have fun flicking birds around. And the booming mobile gaming market caters to that perfectly.

The people you know that choose to laugh at others' choice of gaming hardware probably aren't worth knowing.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
$99 is a bit much, but I guess if you include the battery it makes a little more sense. I just wish Apple would enable support for the PS4 controller which would be amazing.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
$99 is a bit much, but I guess if you include the battery it makes a little more sense. I just wish Apple would enable support for the PS4 controller which would be amazing.

It really wouldn't make sense for Apple to enable support for a competing company's product.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Uhhhh - iPads since 4th gen have has lightning connectors. This statement is clearly wrong.

As soon as I saw an obvious error I scrolled back up to the author line, no surprise to find who wrote us another erroneous and/or confused article

Between half the articles on MR being poorly written, and Eli over at TA attacking the community, I have pretty much lost all interest in visiting either of these sites
They meant because it wasn't bluetooth, it would have to FIT into the lighting connector, and since this is designed to fit around the iPhone 5, it certainly can't fit around an iPad. What an epic fail trying to put down others. :confused:

----------

You mean Call of Duty 27? Grand Theft Auto 12? Games have been stagnant for years, IMO. I'll take an imaginative 5-minute time-waster - or even the 90's games from GOG.com I regularly play - over anything consoles have to offer, and I don't have to pay £50 a pop to do it. I just picked up Total Annihilation from GOG for like $6, and it plays fine on my 15" laptop. I have a lot of fun playing it, too.

My mini plays its games fine. I think you're dwelling too much on technology and not enough on the gameplay. I play Asphalt 8 every day and the "experience" is just great.

Of course it won't, and no-one is expecting it to - that's really not a valid argument. If I want to play MegaGame 8: More of the Same I'll get a console, not a phone.

Not everyone wants/needs those "rich experiences". If you do, fine, get your PlayStation, but some people are happy with mobile gaming, where the games are designed to fit the device. I don't have a quick session with Angry Birds because I want some awe-inspiring "experience" (whatever that actually means in this context) which leaves me sweaty-palmed and breathless, I just want to have fun flicking birds around. And the booming mobile gaming market caters to that perfectly.

The people you know that choose to laugh at others' choice of gaming hardware probably aren't worth knowing.
Oh god, please don't attempt to speak for all of us...

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
The controller is overpriced, but "I'll go back to playing my PS4" is one of the dumbest statements I've read in a while.

Tell me, if you actually go outside and do things, how do you play your PS4 when you're out?

Do you push around a cart with a TV and your PS4 on it... being powered by a battery backup? How long is the battery life anyway? 7 minutes?

There is a PORTABLE gaming market for a reason, sir derp-a-lot.

And the iPhone 5S is a lot more powerful than any of the handheld consoles like the 3DS or PS Vita.

Wow. How mature of you.

Last edited:

Muk4r0

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Chaos and exploitation the API way

The experience with gamepads in iOS 7 is not even a shadow of what keyboards compatibility example turns out to be in that same platform ... (Take notes)

It was as easy as making blutrol like solution native in settings on iOS 7

End user experience as for now is a disaster

Last edited:

Transporter

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
Now, this has been asket before but never got answered:

Does the iPhone 5s fit in the Moga with a case like the slim leather case of Apple attached to it? I sure do hope so!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.