Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today received final approval for its Apple Campus 2 project from the Cupertino City Council after gaining a unanimous initial approval back in October. "Go for it," said Cupertino Mayor Orrin Mahoney, following tonight's unanimous vote in favor of the project. "We're eager to see it happen. Go for it."

With the vote, the Cupertino City Council approved the necessary ordinances to allow Apple to enter into an official Development Agreement with the City of Cupertino, which will see the company receiving its full set of building permits on November 20. Apple has already received ancillary permits allowing it to begin demolition of the former HP campus that is already on the site.

apple_campus_2_sept_13.jpg
As part of the final agreement, Apple has agreed to increase the amount of taxes that it pays to the City of Cupertino, in the form of a reduction of the sales tax rebate that the company receives each year from the city (via The Los Angeles Times). Last year, Cupertino refunded 50 percent of the sales taxes it received from Apple-related purchases, but in the future, it will only refund 35 percent of sales taxes.

Phase 1 of the Campus 2 construction will include a 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building with an underground parking facility capable of accommodating approximately 2,400 vehicles. A 100,000 square foot fitness center and a 120,000 square foot auditorium will also be built. During a second phase of construction, Apple will build 600,000 square feet worth of office, research, and development buildings, along with additional parking and energy generation facilities.

Apple's Campus 2 is designed to be environmentally friendly, incorporating 80 percent green space with 300 different species of trees, orchards, and a central garden with outdoor dining areas. The facility will also use efficient water and landscaping in addition to garnering 70 percent of its energy from solar and fuel cells.

Apple plans to finish the first phase of the Apple Campus 2 construction by 2016.

Article Link: Apple Receives Final Approval for 'Spaceship' Campus From Cupertino City Council

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I feel like we already heard this 3 times

I can't wait for more articles about the demolition of the old buildings... and the groundbreaking... and the delivery of the building materials... and the planting of the trees... and...

It's gonna be a long couple of years...

:)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I can't wait for more articles about the demolition of the old buildings... and the groundbreaking... and the delivery of the first building materials... and the trees... and...

Headline in three months (that's the actual number of trees they are removing, btw):

Apple Cuts Down Tree Number 3,010 of 4,105

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I can't wait for more articles about the demolition of the old buildings... and the groundbreaking... and the delivery of the building materials... and the planting of the trees... and...

I'm actually excited for every said article. :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Headline in three months (that's the actual number of trees they are removing, btw):

Apple Cuts Down Tree Number 3,010 of 4,105

Are you suggesting that this development will be bad for the surrounding environment by cutting down those trees?

If so, then you are sadly mistaken about their goals. They will be planting far more trees than were there before this project started. It will be 80% greenspace by the end.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I hope the city didn't spend too much time/money deciding to approve or not. It's not like it wasn't going to happen. Glad it's done and they can get ready to build.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Are you suggesting that this development will be bad for the surrounding environment by cutting down those trees?

If so, then you are sadly mistaken about their goals. They will be planting far more trees than were there before this project started. It will be 80% greenspace by the end.

No, of course not. It was a joke. Apple is removing 4,105 trees and planting 6,200 trees to replace them.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
If I know MacRumors, they'll have plenty of articles whenever an app is released which will let you track the construction status of the Campus. CampusTracker '13, then '14...

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd just like to walk around the hallway that wraps around that building and maybe grab lunch from the cafeteria and sit on a bench in the middle listening to my iPod. Looks like it will be a beautiful campus.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
When I see the proposed campus image, I can't resist thinking of three things:

- The new "Mac Pro"

- "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

- A new Scientology "Sea Org" headquarters

All kidding aside, I'll be more interested in touring the new campus once completed than endless updates on essentially the same status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.