Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImacUser212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hello,

I not sure if this is a serious hazard or it happens to every mac user. Every time I have my mac charger connected to the mac and use my thunderbolt cable connected to UltraStudio for video previewing, I notice small sparks when plugging in the thunderbolt cable.

(it may be hard to see)

This is what is looks like:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    318.6 KB · Views: 550

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Probably not hazardous, but it's not good. That's resulting from something not being properly grounded, either the laptop or the device you're plugging in (if it's not bus powered). Since you say it's only happening when the charger is plugged in, I'm assuming it's probably your computer. Unplug UltraStudio, connect the charger, and then plug in the Thunderbolt cable (without anything connected to the other end). If it still sparks, it's your computer, and I would take it to the Genius Bar or call Apple Care about it.

ImacUser212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I connected the charger and only plugged in the thunderbolt with it not connected to the UltraStudio (to the TV with HDMI) there was no sparks. It seems to only happen IF the CHARGER is on with TV on with the HDMI connected the UltraStudio to the thunderbolt.

When is does not happen: if the TV is off and still wont happen if the charger is on. If the TV is on with the charger not in.

Its really odd?

Last edited:

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I get the same when I plug in USB peripherals on my early '13 rMBP. Would be good to know what's going on.

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Based on the replies I'm assuming it's a combination of two things. Having a powered peripheral is creating a charge of some sort (most likely positive) in the cable. When the Mac is plugged in, the ports become powered. Normally they only provide power when they are being used, however when the computer is plugged in the ports are always powered, that's why you can charge your phone with the lid closed and charger plugged in, but not when it's unplugged. So the positive charge on the cable and the negative charge on the ports from having power on is creating a spark across the ports. This is just an educated guess, so it could be something else. To me it doesn't seem like a good thing per se, but the metal casing on the outside of cables and ports is the ground so it's probably not anything to worry about.

eskmo3

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
A couple of days ago it fried my mac pro.

Bringing up an old thread here but I've been experiencing this for a year or so. (One spoke to a person at OWC who said it's not totally abnormal.)

2013 Mac Pro being plugged into an OWC Thunderbay. Sparks also happen plugging in an imac. All units properly grounded, plugged into Furman surge protector etc. Has happened in two different locations. Not a grounding issue.

This last spark happened while thunderbolt plugged into Mac Pro, at a new location all the above same proper grounding, and tried to connect to the Thunderbay. Massive spark happened and all usb + thunderbolt and HDMI connections on Mac Pro are now shot. Brought it into the Apple store and they are fixing.

Mega unfortunate. Everyone I've spoken to at apple + OWC seems to be at a loss.

Any ideas?

cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.29.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.29.44 AM.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.29.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.29.37 AM.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.