Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Impending and Realmac Software, the app studios behind popular to-do app Clear, have today released a new app called Hatch. First announced back in December of 2012, Hatch is an ambitious virtual pet app that has been in development for several months.

Reminiscent of the Tamagotchi pocket pets that were popular in the late 1990s, Hatch provides users with a virtual iPhone pet called a Fugu. Fugu, which come in an array of colors, are creatures that iPhone owners can interact with in a variety of ways. As with most virtual pet items and applications, Hatch requires users to feed, clean up after, and care for their Fugu.

hatch1.jpg
Fugu in Hatch crave attention and express happiness when they are fed, pet, or otherwise interacted with by their owners. When neglected, the pets grow sad and may even run away. While Fugu do like attention and feedings at various times throughout the day, their energy is tied to the iPhone's battery and they will sleep when the phone is charging.

Fugu are fed with fruit, which grows on nearby trees. Fruit can also be exchanged for acorns and star coins, two currencies that are used to purchase accessories like a camera, a bag to store extra fruit, and a variety of collectable rugs and blankets Fugu sit on.

Along with feedings and cleanings, Fugu will react to several different stimuli, including pokes, pinches, swipes, and music. Shaking the iPhone will also cause a reaction, and additional interactions are unlocked as a Fugu's "Trust" level grows. There's an in-app camera that iPhone owners can use to take photographs that include their Fugu.

hatch2.jpg
Hatch also features a colorful hand-animated environment that takes advantage of the parallax effect introduced in iOS 7 and it includes Game Center support, with occasional gifts being sent from Game Center friends.

Users that reserved a special pet via email back in December should have received an email with a clickable egg that will allow it to be inserted into the game after it is downloaded.

Hatch can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New Virtual Pet App 'Hatch' From 'Clear' Developers Hits the App Store

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This looks like it could be dangerously addictive for the younger ones. I hope there aren't any IAPs.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This looks like it could be dangerously addictive for the younger ones. I hope there aren't any IAPs.
There are...
Fruit can also be exchanged for acorns and star coins, two currencies that are used to purchase accessories like a camera, a bag to store extra fruit, and a variety of collectable rugs and blankets Fugu sit on.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
From the pictures shown, it doesn't look very interesting...

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
Looks cute, but I already have both Hatchi and the official Tamagotchi apps. Not sure I have time to take care of yet another virtual pet.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wow after all those delays it is actually real. i thought they were trolling us since last fall and the promise to release it this spring | summer

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
I've got my egg. However, I am hesitant to pay $2 since the pet may run away if not shown enough attention. Will it come back? Sometimes I get distracted by meatspace and have to put the iGadget down, you know?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I've got my egg. However, I am hesitant to pay $2 since the pet may run away if not shown enough attention. Will it come back? Sometimes I get distracted by meatspace and have to put the iGadget down, you know?

I haven't had my Fugu run away, but from what I understand, if your pet does run away from neglect (it takes a few days) there's a chance to lure it back.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I haven't had my Fugu run away, but from what I understand, if your pet does run away from neglect (it takes a few days) there's a chance to lure it back.

Hahah you guys are ridiculous.

I'd be extremely pissed if I just spent $5 on this game, then got really busy with work for 4 days and all of a sudden my little dude is gone forever. Anyway, the game looks cute, but I'm not willing to make my self emotionally vulnerable to a virtual pet, so I'll opt out ;)

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
am I supposed to do anything else besides feeding it fruits constantly?

Don't forget to pick up those adorable little poops your pet leaves behind.

----------

There are no in-app purchases.

The "store" has multiple items for sale via star currency. Maybe its because I havent gotten far yet but the only currency that I am able to get is acorns. They did say something about joining a club (don't have facebook though) to get 10% off. Not sure what that means.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Don't forget to pick up those adorable little poops your pet leaves behind.

----------

The "store" has multiple items for sale via star currency. Maybe its because I havent gotten far yet but the only currency that I am able to get is acorns. They did say something about joining a club (don't have facebook though) to get 10% off. Not sure what that means.

Coins are a bit more rare and come from starfruit, which occasionally grow on trees during your fugu's happy dance.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Coins are a bit more rare and come from starfruit, which occasionally grow on trees during your fugu's happy dance.

Yeah just got my first starfruit. No wonder the items are priced so low. Its pretty rare to come by those starfruits.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

It's only two whole dollars...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.