Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly three and a half years after the debut of a dedicated Apple Store app for iPhone, Apple is launching a new iPad version of the application today, reports TechCrunch. The new app, which appears to be U.S.-only for the time being, offers a "sparse" iOS 7 design aesthetic and makes use of high-quality images and context-aware panels to offer an exceptional user experience.
Where things start to get interesting is the way that the app handles context on the individual item purchase page. When you're presented with an item selection screen on the iPad, for instance, you've got color, storage and connectivity sections, as well as specs, box contents and warranty info. If you tap on a color, you see the color options in the right-hand pane (or top pane in vertical mode). Tapping on storage gives you a contextually aware pane on the right that explains the size choice and why you might pick one over another. The same goes for WiFi or cellular options.
apple_store_ipad_app_1.jpg
Gesture-based interactions include the ability to slickly swipe through a product's images right on category pages, while pinch gestures allow users to move between large and small grids of products. Exclusive to the new iPad app is a "Now Trending" section that uses algorithms to automatically highlight products seeing strong popularity in the store at any given time.

Apple's iPad app does not offer the same level of retail store integration seen with the iPhone version of the app, such as EasyPay and location-aware Genius Bar check-ins, as the iPad app is focused on home use rather than mobile, but the iPad app does provide convenient access for selecting store locations and viewing and booking appointments.

Apple Store for iPad is available now in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Launching 'Apple Store' App for iPad

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
To make the new Apple Store app, we began with a design that we really loved, but to build it, to implement it, we had to look way beyond what we knew to be possible. It took all of our learning, our best thinking, to realize something so simple, so clear, and yet so truly extraordinary. - Jony Ive

The Apple Store app is the most advanced thing I've worked on at Apple. - Bob Mansfield

Are you excited to use the new Apple Store app? I am. - Phil Schiller

Last edited:

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
And why is this app(both iPhone and iPad) still not available in Norway?

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Nice! I have been waiting for this. I prefer native shopping apps to web apps. Hoping Amazon will update their app for iOS 7 soon.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Why not make a universal app?

Also, didn't they once say the iPad didn't need an app because you can already get the "full experience" in Safari due to the iPad's larger screen?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
finally. ill check it out next time i go on an ipad

thankfully other devs didnt drag their feet this much as then the ios ecosystem would be pathetic

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
And why is this app(both iPhone and iPad) still not available in Norway?

I think it's only available in countries that have Apple Stores.
It was released on the Swedish App Store just around the time our first Apple Store opened.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Now when I wake up at 3 AM once or twice a year to order the new iHotness, I won't have to deal with the iPhone keyboard when trying to tap out my credit card using the blown up iPhone App Store app!

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
To make the new Apple Store app, we began with a design that we really loved, but to build it, to implement it, we had to look way beyond what we knew to be possible. It took all of our learning, our best thinking, to realize something so simple, so clear, and yet so truly extraordinary. - Jony Ive

Quoted for truth.

Jony needs to never appear in one of these promo videos again... he's just become a parody of himself.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
not a moment too soon

I think it's US only, though

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Why not make a universal app?

Also, didn't they once say the iPad didn't need an app because you can already get the "full experience" in Safari due to the iPad's larger screen?

Perhaps, but since the mini came out I think that more people carry theirs with them. As for why it isn't universal, the feature set is a bit different. For instance, you don't have the self checkout option on the iPad version.

Anyway, my early reaction is positive. I like how it when I select the in-store pickup option it shows an interactive map that I can scroll up and down. It works more nicely than the website in that regard.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

The Apple Store app is the most advanced thing I've worked on at Apple. - Bob Mansfield

Are you excited to use the new Apple Store app? I am. - Phil Schiller

I think you forgot something...

Its revolutionary, magical - Steve Jobs (if he was alive)

;):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.