Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"...we began with a design that we really loved, but to build it, to implement it, we had to look way beyond what we knew to be possible..."

Stark, white backgrounds, way beyond what we knew to be possible.

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wow, only 3 years it took

Hard working they are. In development long it was.

yoda.jpg

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Why not make a universal app?

So you don't have to burden the iPhone version with any extra code needed for the iPad, and vice versa.

I don't see having 2 versions as an issue because the app is free, and on top of that I like having a smaller app (than a universal one) on both devices. Sure, it might only save a few MBs, but those extra few MBs needed in a universal app adds up when you have hundreds of apps on each device. :)

IMO, the universal app route is better when a particular app costs money -- obviously so you don't have to buy 2 separate versions of the same app.

Also, didn't they once say the iPad didn't need an app because you can already get the "full experience" in Safari due to the iPad's larger screen?

You can get the "full experience" in Safari. The Apple Store app is just a different experience, optimized for the iPad.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The apps need access to the education store.

I will try this later, hopefully it is designed well.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
To make the new Apple Store app, we began with a design that we really loved, but to build it, to implement it, we had to look way beyond what we knew to be possible. It took all of our learning, our best thinking, to realize something so simple, so clear, and yet so truly extraordinary. - Jony Ive

The Apple Store app is the most advanced thing I've worked on at Apple. - Bob Mansfield

Are you excited to use the new Apple Store app? I am. - Phil Schiller

Literally beautiful Lmaoo

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
And why is this app(both iPhone and iPad) still not available in Norway?

Because there are no apple stores there. These apps are mainly compliments to the in store experience, especially the phone one.

Now that they have done the iPad one it might, over time, be released to courtiers with only online ordering. But they are likely to start with the countries with in store.

----------

Why not make a universal app?

Also, didn't they once say the iPad didn't need an app because you can already get the "full experience" in Safari due to the iPad's larger screen?

Didn't Steve Jobs once said web apps were all the iPhone needs.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
To make the new Apple Store app, we began with a design that we really loved, but to build it, to implement it, we had to look way beyond what we knew to be possible. It took all of our learning, our best thinking, to realize something so simple, so clear, and yet so truly extraordinary. - Jony Ive

The Apple Store app is the most advanced thing I've worked on at Apple. - Bob Mansfield

Hahahaha that's a good impersonation. I LEL'd

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But 9to5Mac says Steve canned this app 3 years ago.

1. They could be wrong
2. He's dead. What he did, thought or said is rather moot

----------

Finally...Seriously, how could it take Apple 3+ years to put out an App for its own store :confused:

There has always been an app. Called safari. Didn't do as much but it was there. There was an also an app called the phone.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I buy everything apple from this app, on an iPad. Although several features aren't added yet (order status), The old version is totally ditched.

Now if I could just make this for my own store...!

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
I'd be careful using the direct link posted in the story. Tried it and it locked up the App Store site. I couldn't click out of the app description. Had to reboot.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
So you don't have to burden the iPhone version with any extra code needed for the iPad, and vice versa.

I don't see having 2 versions as an issue because the app is free, and on top of that I like having a smaller app (than a universal one) on both devices. Sure, it might only save a few MBs, but those extra few MBs needed in a universal app adds up when you have hundreds of apps on each device. :)

IMO, the universal app route is better when a particular app costs money -- obviously so you don't have to buy 2 separate versions of the same app.

Separate apps for the same thing doesn't make sense and it's cluttery. Simplicity is one app, all devices. Bring Macs into the equation and let us buy universal apps that will work on OS X, iPhone and iPad.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Separate apps for the same thing doesn't make sense and it's cluttery. Simplicity is one app, all devices. Bring Macs into the equation and let us buy universal apps that will work on OS X, iPhone and iPad.

There will not be universal apps for all three until Macs drop intel

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is great news for consumers. Nobody else can provide such an incredible shopping experience via mobile devices like Apple can. Apple continues to raise the bar to heights its "competition" cannot possibly ever scale.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Can't innovate anymore? My ass!

----------

You know the internet is dead and it's all in-the-app now.

Internet != browser

I'm 100% certain this app is based on web services.

The best user experience you can deliver is using the Web as a platform for services while making the user interface native. I think the App Store has proven that time and again. Even Gmail is better as a native app backed by Web services.

Web interfaces are useful as a crutch or backup solution when you don't have access to the native solution. But you should not sacrifice awesome user experience for the sake of portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.