Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
My wife an I both have an iPhone and she also has an iPad2.

We have an iMac that we use both under the same user-id. So we have one set of contacts. Before iCloud we could share and sync our contacts through iTunes. We have different Apple-id's.

Is it possible to setup things in such a way that we can share and sync our contacts through iCloud? We don't have MobileMe or GMail.

I searched the internet but couldn't find any (clear) answers.

Neopfyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl

My wife an I both have an iPhone and she also has an iPad2.

We have an iMac that we use both under the same user-id. So we have one set of contacts. Before iCloud we could share and sync our contacts through iTunes. We have different Apple-id's.

Is it possible to setup things in such a way that we can share and sync our contacts through iCloud? We don't have MobileMe or GMail.

I searched the internet but couldn't find any (clear) answers.

there are no answers Apple is pretending this did not happen .. I have tried to do the same thing with Yahoo Mail Plus .. and if i figure it out I will let you know ... :apple:

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Sharing

It's possible, but there is ONE thing that needs to get ironed out.

So I shared by using my original MobileMe account as mine, and my wife made a new one.

The primary account for me is the original, hers is her new one. On hers, I unchecked contacts and calendar. Then ADDED another iCloud account (my original) as a secondary, checking ON contacts and calendar.

Works well except for one thing.

If one of you guys say 'so and so is my mom', it tags it for the database. If you list a contact as YOU in one of the iPhones, it'll list that way for BOTH automatically as this is also synced by the Contacts database. So I choose who I am on MY phone and Siri tells my WIFE that she's talking to me!

Simple problem I guess. I'm thinking of making a shared contact for both of us, so we can make that the main IT'S ME contact. Siri would struggle tho, having to read both of our names (as the shared would be both first names).

Hm.

No one seems to be talking about this. I wonder why not?

Jacques

johnnyboyvzw

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
contact sharing issue

Yes, you can share contacts. No, you can't share iCloud accounts.

Here's why:

Your contacts are not identical to your wife's. Her 'Mom' and 'Dad' and so forth are not your 'Mom' and 'Dad'. Her 'My info' is not yours. You can share iTunes purchases because those are not unique to each person in your family. You can pick and choose which of the shared purchases are stored on your device. The nature and use of contacts does not work in a shared context.

You can have two unique id's on each iDevice now. An iTunes store login (which you can use on many devices) and an iCloud login (which must be unique for all 'your' devices).

Does that make sense?

You can share contacts by sending the contacts vcf via email, sms, etc.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Much as how you can share particular Calendars and Reminder lists (see iCloud.com, as this is only available via the web - not the iOS device), Apple needs to include this ability with Contacts.

Either the whole list or any given group of contacts, should be able to be shared with someone else - syncing turned on OR only push (no syncing, one device has master).

This would easily solve this problem, and create a nice solution for sharing parts of Contacts with others.

So let's say a husband has personal and business contacts in his iPhone. He can share his business group with his partner or secretary, and the personal group with his wife. Both being able to add and take away from the lists as sync OR only one party able to push changes (such as the secretary).

Jacques

redsaw66

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
Uh-oh

alright, basically i need to make a contacts list for a company that i can automaically put in all the company Iphones, this is mostly for new people as they do not have any contacts within the company yet, i need to be able to update their adress book without needing to touch their iphones, it as to be done automatically, (too many people work here and have company issued products)
i was thinking of finding a way using outlook 2010 and sharing a contact folder but that has come to a dead end because it would require my manual input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.