Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googlenewsstand.jpg
Google today launched a Newsstand app for Android, which combines its existing Flipboard-style Currents app, its Google Play magazine app, and a new newspaper subscription service to offer a variety of paid and free publications in one spot.

The new Google Newsstand app shares a name with Apple's own Newsstand and it also mimics the functionality of the built-in app that Apple first debuted in 2011. As with Apple's Newsstand, Google's Newsstand aggregates content in one convenient location, combining all of a user's subscriptions for magazines and newspapers.

Google does, however, go one step further, combining content from an array of sources into a single newsfeed, and the company has also partnered with multiple publications to offer subscriptions directly within its app. Google Newsstand shares several similarities with Apple Newsstand, but it is arguably more useful with its in-app subscriptions and its Flipboard-style feed.
Discover more of the news and magazines you care about on your Android tablet or phone. Enjoy breaking news and in-depth articles featuring audio, video, and more. From sports, business, cooking, entertainment, fashion and more - now get the best free and paid news plus vibrant full HD magazines, all in one place.
While Google's new Newsstand app is currently limited to Android devices, the company told TechCrunch that it plans to update its existing Currents app for iOS to a Newsstand app "early next year," where it will presumably compete with Apple's own Newsstand app.

In the past, Apple has not taken kindly to companies who adopt similar product names, famously filing a trademark lawsuit against Amazon over the use of the word "Appstore." Both Amazon and Microsoft argued that "app store" was a generic term, and the case was eventually thrown out.

Article Link: Google Launches Newsstand App for Android, Promises iOS App in 2014

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Oooh, this is definitely not going to go down well with Apple, risky business for Google unless they are just trying to start a lawsuit for the fun of it!!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
2011 Apple Newsstand
2013 Google Newsstand

Shameless

Yeah!

Apple invented the newsstand. How could anyone copy something like that? It's not like the word meant anything before Apple used it.

:rolleyes:

----------

Oooh, this is definitely not going to go down well with Apple, risky business for Google unless they are just trying to start a lawsuit for the fun of it!!

Why would there be a lawsuit?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Yeah!

Apple invented the newsstand. How could anyone copy something like that? It's not like the word meant anything before Apple used it.

----------

Why would there be a lawsuit?

In the same way Apple was upset about Appstore!

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
What a filthy, horrible company Google is. I hope they don't release it on iOS, we don't need that copied crap here. Call me a fan boy, but this is just blatant.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Apple copied Barnes & Noble then.

Irrelevant. If there's anything to it, it would be a trademark, and Google would have to prove there was no undue confusion created by the "trade dress" of the product. In other words, you couldn't put out a cigarette called "Chesterfield" unless you were Liggett & Myers. Or... whatever company made Chesterfields.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah!

No one is saying Google can't copy a name. The fact that they had to copy it out of countless other names they could've used, shows their shameless smug attitude.

mush10

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
What a filthy, horrible company Google is. I hope they don't release it on iOS, we don't need that copied crap here. Call me a fan boy, but this is just blatant.

What is blatant? Apple's newsstand app is where they sell their magazines. Google has already been doing that through their Play magazines app. This is a more robust app than Apple's newsstand and Play magazines. Truthfully a lot of Apple's software is getting stale and it is a good thing Google is releasing apps for iOS.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Oh dear.

By your own logic Apple are a "filthy horrible company" for copying from their competitors. Don't for one second insinuate that Apple has never copied anyone else as that's an argument you will never win.

Grow the hell up.

----------

Appstore wasn't a word before Apple. Newsstand was. Big difference.

The law would beg to differ. So would plain facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_store

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Appstore wasn't a word before Apple. Newsstand was. Big difference.

Okay let's ensure we're singing from the same hymn sheet here....my previous comments were not because Google is using the same term and I care, I couldn't give a donkeys nuts what Google use!

I was just stating it's likely Apple will be upset and Google obviously want to rock the boat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.