Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
what is really funny about these "It is going to be obsolete in 9 months" comments. 20 bucks says those people have an iPhone 5s, which ALSO will be obsolete in 9 month. And that cost you MUCH more.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
your example is a fail -- Xbox/Playstations *are* gaming consoles, so of course building first-party controllers is essential. iphones *arent* gaming consoles, theyre cell phones (or personal computers), so this sort of auxiliary function is perfect for the third-party market. to use your analogy, it would only be embarrassing if iphones didnt come w/ cameras, or microphones, or an ear piece, etc..cell phone stuff.
Camera is as 'cell phone stuff' as iOS gaming.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Great to see these coming out, even if I think these accessory makers are up against it: it seems to me Mac/iOS users tend to much prefer Apple hardware than anything from 3rd parties.

Personally, I don't care too much for the designs, too wide and impractical*. I'd love to see (and would be happy to pay for) a controller which could double-up as a case, if that were possible.

(* by impractical, I mean the phone with controller above is an awkward size/shape to carry around, and if you separate them you have to carry around 2/3 pieces).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
huh? not if you get value out of it. my family is still using 4S and until recently a 4. theyre on 3 year cycles...one can get a lot of value out of two or three years.

not everyone updates annually. few do, actually.

Two years? Okay, so that's one more to go for the 5. Let's say it'll be another six months before a proper controller comes out. That's six months of playing before you'll have to upgrade the controller at the same time as the phone...

And what about the producers? They're completely missing out on the whole 4/4S market...

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
not really. very, very few people will know or care.

----------

ah yes, the biggest, most successful, most profitable tech company in the history of our race is "too stupid" to build a dedicated controller. yeah. either that, or they know its not their core business and defer it to the third-party market as they do for many items.

Apparently you have no prospect for how much they could make off of gaming. They could literally destroy all other portable gaming if they had a decent controller and the draw from AAA titles etc. however it would be about a billion times more likely that a huge amount of people would buy the control if it was made by Apple even talking STRICTLY marketing alone. You know how many people know that there will even be iOS gaming controllers? Lol.

P.S. Apple makes cases

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
It's a nice device, but I think it has a very short life span as a product. Unless you have an itouch you plan on keeping for a long time, what happens next year when the new iPhones come out and they are a different size, bigger screen, thinner, etc?? You won't be able to use this device anymore if you get a new phone, it won't fit inside of it. Of course you can keep your current iphone and use it as an iPod touch, but most people these days take advantage of the trade in offers most carriers have to put it toward the cost of a new phone. I'm not going to spend 100 bucks on a devise that isn't compatible with future devises and I'm sure Logitech isn't going to release a new model of these every couple years to accommodate the new designs of every new iPhone. It's a cool devise, but not practical.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
what is really funny about these "It is going to be obsolete in 9 months" comments. 20 bucks says those people have an iPhone 5s, which ALSO will be obsolete in 9 month. And that cost you MUCH more.

Yes and they all want to go buy an iPhone 6 and then buy a new awful controller for another $100 hahahah. Yeah. No.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

The controller is hardware that can last for years with all the latest and greatest software, the iPhone isn't. Huge difference.

If you know you're gonna move in two years, would you get anything that you knew you couldn't bring to the new house?

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
The controller is hardware that can last for years with all the latest and greatest software, the iPhone isn't. Huge difference.

If you know you're gonna move in two years, would you get anything that you knew you couldn't bring to the new house?
This guy will buy one of these no matter how cheap and awfully built they are. Even though they are $100 lol. Have at em sir, I hope the buttons rattle, they feel awful, very clicky, and total waste of $100. :)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Too expensive. Make it $30 for more appeal. Keep in mind that when they come out with a new iphone, it probably won't fit.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Lose the battery and sell it for less than 50 :)

Anyway, the Moga controller does seem to be simply better since it includes 2 analog sticks and 2 more shoulder buttons that this one lacks. Some games might even be built for that controller profile only...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
This guy will buy one of these no matter how cheap and awfully built they are. Even though they are $100 lol. Have at em sir, I hope the buttons rattle, they feel awful, very clicky, and total waste of $100. :)

Who, me?

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
Too expensive. Make it $30 for more appeal. Keep in mind that when they come out with a new iphone, it probably won't fit.

Yeah at the most. The xbox one and ps4 controllers are like $60 and they have ridiculous amounts of money poured into R&D, and not to mention the far better materials and components used. These are cheap crap and cost $100 lol...

Halebopp

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Wth

Why does anyone need a controller for iPhone games anyhow??

People just have problems with the touch controls available natively in the apps?:confused:

Antares

macrumors 68000
Lol you know what's hilarious? iOS devices strictly getting third party pathetic controllers is like if the xbox one and ps4 didn't come with controllers and Microsoft and Sony didn't make them and your only option were third party garbage controllers, seriously can you imagine how many fewer would sell? Apple needs to realize how embarrassing it is to allow their devices to even be attached to one of these third party garbage controllers.

Sorry, not a good comparison.

The iPhone/iPod/iPad is a controller in and of itself. So, you are not using a device or game system with no built-in/packed-in way to control or play games.

These controllers are completely optional. You can play all the gams you want and never need to buy a single controller from a 3rd party.

If you exclude Apple’s failed game system, Pippin, Apple hasn’t made a standalone game controller since the early 80’s. They simply haven’t been interested in making game specific controllers. But they provide you with a way to play games. On the computer, you can use a keyboard and mouse. On the iDevices, you use touch controls. On both the computers and iDevices, you can choose to buy a 3rd party controller to play your games. But you don’t need to.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
Sorry, not a good comparison.

The iPhone/iPod/iPad is a controller in and of itself. So, you are not using a device or game system with no built-in/packed-in way to control or play games.

These controllers are completely optional. You can play all the gams you want and never need to buy a single controller from a 3rd party.

If you exclude Apple’s failed game system, Pippin, Apple hasn’t made a standalone game controller since the early 80’s. They simply haven’t been interested in making game specific controllers. But they provide you with a way to play games. On the computer, you can use a keyboard and mouse. On the iDevices, you use touch controls. On both the computers and iDevices, you can choose to buy a 3rd party controller to play your games. But you don’t need to.

It's a touch controller. Tactile is completely different. Point is it's going no where because of these not being an Apple controller which would be mass marketed and people would actually pay $100 for it. If anyone pays $100 for these then I just feel sorry for them.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Pointless buying one really because when the new iPhone comes out if the shape is different and height it not going to worth the money because it would be complete and utter useless

I think it's safe to say a form change is very unlikely coming from Apple anytime soon.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been looking at these controller devices next to my iPhone and my Vita, and I honestly prefer to keep the experiences separate.

Not gaming being exclusively on the Vita though, I think casual gaming really comes into it's own on the iPhone, however I couldn't see myself playing Uncharted or Little Big Planet on a phone, even with this sort of attachment.

macrooni

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Form fitting, lightning connection... No thanks.

Phonejoy got it right, other manufacturers should look to them. BT connectivity and can even turn tablets into handheld consoles...

Very, very slow bt.. rather than lightning fast lightning.... No thanks.

I thank God you aren't an engineer & nobody will be following your horrible idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.