Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I was reading an apple technical note ( https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/technotes/tn2220/_index.html ) within the Safari browser and noticed that the text font did not appear to be smoothed. I confirmed the fact by zooming and making note of the lack of color within the letter which is a sure marker of font smoothing. Late that day I noticed the same thing in the Harmony Central Forums ( http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/El...ecording/m-p/29888705/highlight/true#M3683950 ). I then opened the same pages in both Firefox and Chrome, both of with rendered the text using subpixel font smoothing. One further thing that stuck me as odd is that Safari does use subpixel rendering on certain pages, such as the text in this forum. I have searched for an option to turn subpixel smoothing on within the Safari preferences, but had no luck along that route.

I don't think this has anything to do with it but I thought I would mention that I have the "Use LCD Font Smoothing" within the General System Preferences set to Level 2 (done with a terminal command). edit- I actually just set LCD Font Smooth to the standard (bolder) on setting and then restarted Safari. It made the text that was previously smoothed dark, but had no effect on the previously (and still) un-smoothed text.

I was hoping someone could tell me what is going on here and how to activate subpixel smoothing within Safari, because I like the browser and the way smoothed fonts look.

(I am using Mavericks, Safari 7, Chrome 31 and Firefox 25)

Last edited:

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I have also noticed that Safari as a whole doesn't take the system wide font smoothing setting into account. Despite system wide being set to level 2, the level of font smoothing in safari is high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.