Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A

AhmedFaisal

So it looks like my late 2009 iMac has either a broken logic board or graphics card and I am in for an expensive repair (graphics issues, tried all resets, however it passes AHT, weird). So before I possible shell out up to 1k USD for a repair, I am debating to replace the iMac with a current Mac Mini since i have a display lying around and I use a different computer for stuff that requires a high end graphics card. Any advice would be helpful as to what really is the more powerful computer, here are the specs of both:

Late 2009 iMac 2.8 GHz i7-860, Radeon HD 4850 - Geekbench 32Bit 7241, 64Bit 8216, Passmark GPU 1041, Passmark CPU 5099

Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7-3720QM, Intel HD 4000 - Geekbench 32Bit 11249, 64Bit 12556, Passmark GPU 460, Passmark CPU 8353

I did do a bit of MP4 Encoding on the iMac using MP4Tools, not a lot put ever so often I ran a few of them and ripped my BluRays for iTunes.

Really would appreciate some advice on this what is the better money spent, repair the iMac or just go and buy that MacMini? And no, I am not really willing to shell out money for another iMac.
Thx.

Ahmed

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you're not gaming or doing anything GPU intensive I'd just go with the Mini.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if you got a couple hundred for the broken iMac on eBay. I certainly would not spend anywhere near $1K for repairs on a Mac that old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.