Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has pushed new updates for its iWork suite of productivity apps on both the Mac and iOS.

For iOS, Keynote saw the biggest improvements, gaining a number of new transitions, in addition to Apple's standard "stability improvements and bug fixes". Numbers and Pages each received unnamed stability improvements.

On the Mac, Keynote gained the same new transitions as on iOS, while Numbers and Pages received new toolbar customization options and other bug fixes.

ilife.jpg
What's New in Keynote for Mac Version 6.0.1

o Customize the toolbar with your most important tools
o New transitions including Blinds, Color Planes, Confetti, Fall, Perspective, Pivot, and Swoosh
o New builds including Blinds, Fly in, Fly out, Orbital, Pivot, Scale Big, and Swoosh
o Stability improvements and bug fixes

What's New in Pages for Mac Version 5.0.1

o Center and edge guides are on by default

What's New in Numbers for Mac Version 3.0.1

o Window size and placement preserved on Save
o Set default zoom in Preferences

--

What's New in Keynote for iOS Version 2.0.1

o New transitions including Blinds, Color Planes, Confetti, Fall, Perspective, Pivot, and Swoosh
o New builds including Blinds, Fly in, Fly out, Orbital, Pivot, Scale Big, and Swoosh

What's New in Pages for iOS Version 2.0.1

What's New in Numbers for iOS Version 2.0.1

The apps were last updated in October when updated versions of all the apps were released for iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks.

Users who own previous versions of iWork on Mac or iOS get these updates for free, as do users buying new Mac and iOS devices. For users with older devices that don't own the apps, they are available for $19.99/each on the Mac App Store and $9.99/each on the iOS App Store.

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac [Mac App Store]

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
Numbers for iOS - [App Store]
Keynote for iOS - [App Store]

Article Link: iWork for iOS and Mac Updated, Keynote Gains New Transitions

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Wow, that was fast!
I'm guessing they actually planned to start restoring the missing features in advance and not just in response to negative publicity.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
If they are starting the updates this quickly wouldn't it have made more sense to release a finished product? Updates re-introducing old/new features doesn't make sense to me. Was anyone really clamoring for a redesign of the iWork suite so badly that releasing an unfinished product was necessary?

It's their product and they know way more than I do about it.

Just an outside-in observation.:confused:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
After that reception following the 5.0 release, I would assume that Apple would have chosen to add something to the first update, other than bling-bling features..

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Bring back 'Facing pages' and perhaps I will start using it again. I did not buy a 27" iMac just so that I could scroll down single pages, Apple.

Microsoft Word allows me to have 4 pages on one screen. Your screen.

Fix it.

asggold

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe one day they will actually add the ability to open a document which is password protected. Always seem to forget the simple things. :confused:

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
How about bringing back the ability to:

Add a page
Delete a page
Move a page
Duplicate a page
Copy a page

Shouldn't be too complicated... :(

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Well done Apple.

Now, for Numbers:

1. Ability to see page breaks when building spreadsheets. This print preview mode is not sufficient.

2. Ability to create custom number format.

Across the suite:

1. Ability to leave all of the drop down toggles in the inspector open. Honestly, this was a good idea, but in practice just slows down ability to create. A universal default to leave them all open would help everyone but the most novice of users. It simply hides key interface which is continually required.

But, again, great job Apple upgrading so quickly. Let's see that commitment continue.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I don't use word processors that often, but I do know that the old version of pages opened word documents with minimal format changes. This new version of pages has absolutely mangled every word document I've opened so far, taking one from a 7 page doc to a 13 page doc with illegible, broken sentences and random gaps and spaces all over the place. Margins all over the place, etc.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Bring back 'Facing pages' and perhaps I will start using it again. I did not buy a 27" iMac just so that I could scroll down single pages, Apple.

Microsoft Word allows me to have 4 pages on one screen. Your screen.

Fix it.

this is not an official apple support forum. this is a user-to-user rumors site.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If they are starting the updates this quickly wouldn't it have made more sense to release a finished product? Updates re-introducing old/new features doesn't make sense to me. Was anyone really clamoring for a redesign of the iWork suite so badly that releasing an unfinished product was necessary?

They're still not done with the planned additions. Weeks, even months more work likely remain. They COULD have waited, but had nothing ready anywhere near the release of iOS 7. And the benefits of the new versions would have been delayed along with the things that were missing.

Nothing they could do would have kept 100% of people happy; I think they made the best call.

This is why it's risky to rebuild and streamline an existing app--a risk few companies dare take. It's a move with huge long-term benefits and a few short-term problems (except keeping the old versions is a nice stopgap). Apple dares face the short-term tempest in a teapot for the sake of a better end result.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

if you work in software, or creative writing, then youll know -- nothing is ever finished. most often the deadlines eventually get set at some point, but because it's not a hard science and is instead a bit of guesstimation, not everything makes it...you try to get as much as possible. lower-priority items (like these additional transitions) get bumped to future releases.

in a perfect world we'd all produce our code in a neat little dependable way that makes scheduling 100% accurate. but that aint this world. every programmer i know tends to underestimate how long it takes us to do things, whether due to enthusiasm or unexpected challenges.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All they did was re-add features that were in the prior versions... it seems to me they could have easily have done that on day one by just hitting "Undo".

I exaggerate, obviously, but it's not that hard to bring back old features.

I would have expected at least a few new transitions that I haven't seen before...

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

The new iWork apps were tied to the iPad keynote presentation, which of course was tied to the new iPad release. When the date is contingent on a hardware release, waiting until the software is "just right" is not an option. :)

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hmm pages seem to run the ever classic "snapper" on my ipad 2. Documents open fast as does the app. No joke.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
All they did was re-add features that were in the prior versions... it seems to me they could have easily have done that on day one by just hitting "Undo".

I exaggerate, obviously, but it's not that hard to bring back old features.

I would have expected at least a few new transitions that I haven't seen before...

I see many people making this same mistake. Apple did not "remove" any functions. This version of iWork was completely re-written in 64 bit, using Apple's most current development tools.

What happened was they couldn't include every existing function in time for the release. So, people say "then wait till it is finished to release it." But if they did that then there would be just as much bitching about why it is taking too long.

So while on the surface it seems like an "undo" would restore functions, it is really a complete "rewrite" to bring back these functions.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I see many people making this same mistake. Apple did not "remove" any functions. This version of iWork was completely re-written in 64 bit, using Apple's most current development tools.

What happened was they couldn't include every existing function in time for the release. So, people say "then wait till it is finished to release it." But if they did that then there would be just as much bitching about why it is taking too long.

So while on the surface it seems like an "undo" would restore functions, it is really a complete "rewrite" to bring back these functions.

Making it 64 bit is trivial. It's a setting in Xcode. Target > Architecture > Change 32 bit to 64 bit. 90+% of your code requires no changing whatsoever. Most of the changing that needs to take place is trivial - changing one data type with another, which if they've typedef'd and factored properly, is really easy.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Making it 64 bit is trivial. It's a setting in Xcode. Target > Architecture > Change 32 bit to 64 bit. 90+% of your code requires no changing whatsoever. Most of the changing that needs to take place is trivial - changing one data type with another, which if they've typedef'd and factored properly, is really easy.

You're assuming that the undelying code for iWork was already in xcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.