Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Hey all, since Apple discontinued 15" cMBP, I'm looking to the Apple Store to get a refurbished model.

I checked out refurb.me to setup an alert, but for the life of me, I can't find the model I'm looking for from the refurb.me listings, even if it's out of stock.

I wanted to purchase the 15" cMBP with the "high-res" glossy 1680x1050 display, but all I can see is the antiglare 1680x1050 display listed to setup an alert. I know this is no longer available new, but usually refurb.me will still have the listing option displayed where you can get an alert. (They have the 17" cMBP listing there too which has been long gone, etc.)

I have an Apple gift card, so I'd like to use the Apple Refurb store as opposed to eBay, but I can't even setup the alert. Yikes.

Any help, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Cooks919

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
California
I have been checking the refurb store periodically over the last 6 months and I have never seen a refurb hi-res glossy on there. Not sure why, maybe they just don't get returned very often.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I have been checking the refurb store periodically over the last 6 months and I have never seen a refurb hi-res glossy on there. Not sure why, maybe they just don't get returned very often.
Thanks man, good to know.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
That's the one I'd prefer, but I don't think they were as widely specced as the anti-glare hi-res. In my search for a 2011 uMBP-15 last year, I only saw one and it was ludicrously priced.

Good luck. Put a 500GB SSD in there an 16GB Ram and you'll have a killer machine for a relatively small amount of scrip.

>

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The high-res glossy screen is very tough to fine. I've only seen a handful on eBay over the years and maybe one or two on Apple's refurb store. That's going to be a tall order.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.
I'll likely have to go with another option. Cheers.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Based on the feedback from this thread, I figured the 15" cMBP (non-retina) Refurb with *glossy* 1680x1050 display was a lost cause via the Apple Refurbished store.

Just to note for anyone looking, I was able to find this exact config NEW for sale from J&R here:
http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_TD10775265/

(But I had a big Apple Gift card I was using for this purchase, so I had to go with Apple.com)

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a refurbished base model 15" 2.3GHz i7 cMBP for $1500. Then ordered a 16Gb RAM kit from Crucial, the SSD bracket from OWC for $35, and a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD.

This machine should last me for years and years since I can upgrade it myself for the most part. Looking forward to it, and thanks for the input in this thread. Much appreciated.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Based on the feedback from this thread, I figured the 15" cMBP (non-retina) Refurb with *glossy* 1680x1050 display was a lost cause via the Apple Refurbished store.

Just to note for anyone looking, I was able to find this exact config NEW for sale from J&R here:
http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_TD10775265/

(But I had a big Apple Gift card I was using for this purchase, so I had to go with Apple.com)

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a refurbished base model 15" 2.3GHz i7 cMBP for $1500. Then ordered a 16Gb RAM kit from Crucial, the SSD bracket from OWC for $35, and a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD.

This machine should last me for years and years since I can upgrade it myself for the most part. Looking forward to it, and thanks for the input in this thread. Much appreciated.

Oooh, that's nice. Tempted to buy it instead of a Retina, slap my upgrades in it and resell this Sandy bridge with the replaced parts from that one. If it were $1500, I probably would go that route, but $1800 is steep.

>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.