Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure Apple's strategy of exclusivity has never been intended to be very long term, just long enough to create demand among carriers as well as Joe Public. Thus when Vodafone (or any other provider) announces to Apple that they'll be loading the iPhone up with their crappy services, Apple can easily threaten to take it elsewhere...

It was long term enough to get revenue sharing.

Anything else would mean that Apple intended to make their European launch such a disaster purposefully.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Europeans don't put up with locked phones, but folks in the US can't seem to force the telecoms out of their draconian ways. If the consumer took a harder line stance, I think the telecoms would start to relax their policies, but too many people are all too eager to sign that 2 year contract. :(

European DO put up with locked phones --- they just don't put up with locked phones that is fully priced with a long (and expensive) contract.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Not only that, but didn't Apple and AT&T sign a 5-year exclusivity deal? Maybe it wasn't that long, but I thought it was. If so, there's no changing here anytime soon.

Well... there may be a difference between exclusivity vs. being SIM locked to the network - one would have to see the contract between AT&T and Apple in order to tell.

If the rumored $200 AT&T price subsidy (which that article said, as you may recall, would only be available in AT&T stores) is true... we might see an end to physical SIM locking. That is, yeah, you get a $200 price cut when you sign a 2-year contract. If you don't want to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T, then you pay full price.

After all, physical SIM locking doesn't make a whole lot of sense when compared with locking people into contracts.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
The problem with this is if the iPhone becomes available for multiple carriers, it will loose it's prestige and "cool factor." The iPhone will just be another phone that anyone can get for pretty much any carrier. Look at what happened to the Motorola Razor....It was a hot, cool phone....then everyone was able to get it. How many people, now, would say that the Razor is still the "must have" phone, today?

I don't see any causation here. Did you make a similar comment when Apple shifted to Intel chips (they would lose their prestige?)

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
European DO put up with locked phones --- they just don't put up with locked phones that is fully priced with a long (and expensive) contract.

Just watch, you'll get what you asked for ;)

The real price of the unlocked iPhone will be $300 higher than one locked to a contract ;) I bet they won't lower the price of one locked to a contract...

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Well... there may be a difference between exclusivity vs. being SIM locked to the network - one would have to see the contract between AT&T and Apple in order to tell.

If the rumored $200 AT&T price subsidy (which that article said, as you may recall, would only be available in AT&T stores) is true... we might see an end to physical SIM locking. That is, yeah, you get a $200 price cut when you sign a 2-year contract. If you don't want to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T, then you pay full price.

After all, physical SIM locking doesn't make a whole lot of sense when compared with locking people into contracts.

It doesn't matter to AT&T --- because AT&T has traditionally offered their subscribers unlocking codes for free after 90 days (except the iphone of course).

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Important detail: Vodafone does not offer an EDGE network in Italy. (Telecom does.)

I think we're right in assuming 3G. But this is not the evidence.

My brother uses his jailbroken iPhone in Australia on Vodafone now.
Like Italy, vodafone don't have EDGE in Australia (just GPRS).

(he does complain it's slow).

I'm hoping that the exclusive agreement only covered the initial iPhone release. There are enough carriers in the UK to provide some competition....

I suspect that Vodafone NOT announcing sales in all the countries that currently have exclusive deals, even when Vodafone has a network in several, tells us that for now those countries keep their exclusive deals.

Not only that, but didn't Apple and AT&T sign a 5-year exclusivity deal? Maybe it wasn't that long, but I thought it was. If so, there's no changing here anytime soon.

They signed an exclusive deal. Originally, most journalists speculated it was 5 years and some said it was a fact. Now, many journalists speculate it is for 2 years, and some say it is a fact.

We don't know.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
The iPhone is still exclusive to one carrier in the US, UK, Ireland, Germany and France. If sales have proven disappointing in Europe so far, I suspect that contract pricing and terms have been a much greater deterrent to potential buyers than carrier exclusivity.

Also, while Vodafone and TIM have announced the iPhone in Italy, neither Wind nor 3 have. Odds of it being unlocked, in Italy at least, are slim.

Yeah, I think the price was set too high for Europe - and came out shortly after the $100 drop in the US. I don't know what Apple was thinking. Hopefully they recognise that price (rather than exclusivity) was the biggest problem!

I wonder if we're about to see another round of a different type of lock in.

For example - Telefonica/O2 is huge and covers several countries. T-mobile is huge and covers several countries. Orange is huge and covers several countries. I wouldn't be surprised if we see each of these Telcos announce iPhones for their other networks not in exclusive areas. (it should go without saying, that Vodafone is huge and covers several countries, we just saw their announcement.)

Of course, TIM might be a counter example. It's the incumbent telco for Italy but only owns a network in one other country.

Anyway - perhaps we'll now see a round of locked phones sold on some big players who cover multiple countries. As such... I'm waiting to see if Singtel announces iPhone for its 8(?) networks in different countries (including Optus Australia).

qubex

macrumors 6502
As an Italian, I must say that this was somewhat inevitable. Italians are used to buying handsets and telephone plans independently, and there was absolutely no chance of a "single-carrier locked-in" launch from succeeding.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
The problem with this is if the iPhone becomes available for multiple carriers, it will loose it's prestige and "cool factor." The iPhone will just be another phone that anyone can get for pretty much any carrier. Look at what happened to the Motorola Razor....It was a hot, cool phone....then everyone was able to get it. How many people, now, would say that the Razor is still the "must have" phone, today?
it's not cool factor but the way elitists think. it is a phone after all, not a car or a boat. and for a phone, if it is well designed phone then great. besides, right now anyone can walk into an apple store and take home the phone to do a small sw update and voile, it's working on t-mobile.

We are not in the early 90s anymore, when people put their GMS sets on the dinner table at the restaurant and looked around how many stare at the table.

btw, I did not know AT&T has a cool factor larger than a cow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.