Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which system, and when? (multiple answers allowed!)

• PS4, at launch!

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • PS4, within the first year

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • PS4, after a year or longer

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • XBox One, at launch!

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • XBox One, within the first year

• XBox One, after a year or longer

• Total voters

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Before the release my mind says "I'll get it whenever" then when its released and I see one at the store my mind says "I got to have it NOW!!". So probably as soon as I see one in the store.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I'll wait on the games this time.

Last (current?) gen, I brought both on release. £280 for a 360, and £425 for a PS3. Until Oblivion and Metal Gear Solid 4 came out respectively, neither machine saw much use...

If this turns out to be true we could be getting some use on April 2014? Hell. Freaking. Yeah.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I'm a cheapskate and will be buying a PS3 when the PS4 launches. Did the same with the PS2. Have a Wii but got that for free.
I spend a fortune on consoles when I was younger, buying them on launch day, and paid full price for games because I was impatient... Now I can buy all those great titles for a fraction of the price :D

Antares

macrumors 68000
Actually, my mind is starting to move toward the next, next gen systems...i.e. What the PS5 is going to be like and where Sony could go, next, with it. Will 4K be essential? What Nintendo could do with their next system, after the Wii U. Where could they lead the way with innovation, like they always do? Is the Xbox One Microsoft’s last real “game” console? Will they move to a more tv entertainment content system where games are relegated to being just another feature of it and not the focus?

All I know is that I really do not want a digital download only system. 4K will be critical for the next, next gen. Games still need to be the focus.

Like this next gen, I will probably wait at least a year before buying in on the next, next gen. Though I will still probably buy the Wii U’s successor on launch day. :D

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Actually, my mind is starting to move toward the next, next gen systems...i.e. What the PS5 is going to be like and where Sony could go, next, with it. Will 4K be essential? What Nintendo could do with their next system, after the Wii U. Where could they lead the way with innovation, like they always do? Is the Xbox One Microsoft’s last real “game” console? Will they move to a more tv entertainment content system where games are relegated to being just another feature of it and not the focus?

All I know is that I really do not want a digital download only system. 4K will be critical for the next, next gen. Games still need to be the focus.

Like this next gen, I will probably wait at least a year before buying in on the next, next gen. Though I will still probably buy the Wii U’s successor on launch day. :D

I'd bet 4k will be critical for the 9th gen.

And I agree, download only sucks.

You buy digital games I want come on discs!

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Two games I'll miss in PS4 are Quantum Break and Killer Instinct (damn Rare, why did you guys had to sell out to Microsoft!!! hahaha).

The way I see it XBOne has a better line-up for premiere games, when the PS4 really has none. And with Kojima seeking for more money MGS V will get released to Microwaves and Arduinos as well.
Nothing wrong with games coming out to everything, but as a former PC-gaming-machine-builder it'd still feel nice to get "exclusives" not available specially on PC (see? With your monster PC you still wouldn't be able to play this!).

As far as 4K goes yes, PS5, XBTwo will probably advertise that but some games will still come with 1080p.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Two games I'll miss in PS4 are Quantum Break and Killer Instinct (damn Rare, why did you guys had to sell out to Microsoft!!! hahaha)..

I love Rare too but was never a big fan of Killer Instinct. Heck I even digged Perfect Dark on the 360. The infection mode on that game was awesome fun in multiplayer, and made my Christmas 2005 so much fun.

Now if they had Banjo / Viva Piñata or Kameo for the xbox one I would almost certainly pick up an xbox one for those games, but given all of them got poor sales I'm afraid I am unlikely to see any of those series in the future.

Thankfully Knack & Skylanders will fill my Kameo void in my PS4 launch line up :)

salmankhan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I was going for day 1 but then again weak launch titles had pursuaded me to wait for a month atleast before i jump into the ps4 bandwagon.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Now if they had Banjo / Viva Piñata or Kameo
Oh yeah… Banjo. I think they screwed it up with that spacecraft-building thing they released to the 360. I doubt they release it if ever, and that news flash in mid-2013 turned out to be a hoax, anyway.
Oh and add Conker's Bad Fur Day to the list, but that was a game ahead of their time and on the wrong console. Maybe Rockstar should get the rights to it, hehehe.

I was going for day 1 but then again weak launch titles had pursuaded me to wait for a month atleast before i jump into the ps4 bandwagon.
I was persuaded by a weak line-up and unavailability to order :)p). But seriously, it's too bad the first games are PS3-ports or non so thrilling ones (IMHO). Even WATCH_DOGS would've been a PS3-port so...

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I'm personally thinking about getting a PS3 this winter. I already had one, but it was getting slightly messed up (and I never liked the jet engine fans!). There are so many great games for PS3, that I don't see a point in upgrading until a couple years down the road.

Anyone know if the PS3 price is bound to get even lower once the PS4 is released?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm definitely waiting until there is an extensive library of games that is appealing to me, so anywhere from 6 months to 2 years probably.

Something possibly more appealing is the Best Buy Black Friday 360 bundle that had 4 games (Tomb Raider, Batman: AC, Halo 4, Darksiders II), plus the console (250 GB) for $189. I've never done Black Friday, but something like that makes me want to venture out.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
I will get both the PS4 and Xbox when they come out with redesigned slim model. Which should be around the time after I graduate and have a proper job, which means I will have money to service the console with games :cool: Things are just too expensive at the moment, games are ridiculously expensive, 25% price increase in the UK. (£40 to £50 now)

Antares

macrumors 68000
I will get both the PS4 and Xbox when they come out with redesigned slim model. Which should be around the time after I graduate and have a proper job, which means I will have money to service the console with games :cool: Things are just too expensive at the moment, games are ridiculously expensive, 25% price increase in the UK. (£40 to £50 now)

Problem is, once you have a proper job, your time to actually play games goes away. I'm sitting on a stack of unopened Wii and PS3 games because of this. Heck, I still have some Gamecube games I haven't opened.

Unfortunately, when you have the time to play games, you don't have the money for them...when you have the money to buy games, you don't have the time to play them... :(

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Another thought I had was wait and see how the Steambox/SteamOS stuff develops. Depending on how it goes, that might delay a new console for either a Steambox or gaming PC.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Both at launch which I always do with consoles. If they break like launch consoles are prone to, I have warranties to back that up, so no worries.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Problem is, once you have a proper job, your time to actually play games goes away. I'm sitting on a stack of unopened Wii and PS3 games because of this. Heck, I still have some Gamecube games I haven't opened.

Unfortunately, when you have the time to play games, you don't have the money for them...when you have the money to buy games, you don't have the time to play them... :(

Amen to that.

I can only play one day a week usually.

One of my off days is dedicated exclusively to my son and no one (not even work) comes between that and the other is my rest day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.