Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grinny11

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Downtown SF near AT&T park and it switched to 4G and didn't switch back.

Lte wasn't much faster than 4g where I am at. Don't really care

Edit: Spoke too soon. It switches back after about 20 sec. Works okay.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I contacted ATT regarding the issue. After being transferred to tier 2 then 3, seems they may be onto something.

The new phone's IMEI has to be synced with the network. They said a simple sim swap doesn't do it. Apparently the script that runs when an upgrade takes place is supposed to do it but sometimes during peak loads it doesn't.

So they did the process manually and it's now been 12 hours and I haven't seen "4G". Not calling a victory yet but will continue to watch and if it stays then I think this may resolve the issue.

:)

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
So I contacted ATT regarding the issue. After being transferred to tier 2 then 3, seems they may be onto something.

The new phone's IMEI has to be synced with the network. They said a simple sim swap doesn't do it. Apparently the script that runs when an upgrade takes place is supposed to do it but sometimes during peak loads it doesn't.

So they did the process manually and it's now been 12 hours and I haven't seen "4G". Not calling a victory yet but will continue to watch and if it stays then I think this may resolve the issue.

Sounds like you may have a resolution. Congratulations!

I'll remember this when my wife's gold 5s arrives tomorrow!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like you may have a resolution. Congratulations!

I'll remember this when my wife's gold 5s arrives tomorrow!

Been in an area where I was stuck on 4G last week and it seems to be performing great. :) I'm cautiously optimistic that really resolved

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX

You are definitely onto something. AT&T couldn't figure out what was wrong with mine. But while they were trying all kinds of things, I read your above note to the Support Guy (Tier 1) and he checked my IMEI number. Sure enough - it wasn't correct.

He fixed that and I immediately got LTE on my phone.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

(When I got my phone, it didn't authenticate correctly so I had to call and have them do it manually. I'm guessing the gal fat-fingered my IMEI number or missed a step).

Anyway - glad it's resolved now. :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
You are definitely onto something. AT&T couldn't figure out what was wrong with mine. But while they were trying all kinds of things, I read your above note to the Support Guy (Tier 1) and he checked my IMEI number. Sure enough - it wasn't correct.

He fixed that and I immediately got LTE on my phone.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

(When I got my phone, it didn't authenticate correctly so I had to call and have them do it manually. I'm guessing the gal fat-fingered my IMEI number or missed a step).

Anyway - glad it's resolved now. :)

Glad that resolved it... I always thought them saying "Let me just confirm your IMEI" was kinda bogus... in the old days of EDGE\3G, it really didn't matter, but guess with LTE it's a little more picky.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
And here was I thinking 4G is LTE !

LTE is 4G, but in the US, HSPA+ is also advertised as "4G." You can thank T-Mobile, which lobbied the ITU to water down the definition because they didn't have an LTE network until early this year (and still have a tiny one compared to Verizon and AT&T - and even Sprint for that matter).

Our phones here say "LTE" when they are on LTE, and "4G" when they are on HSPA+.

dustlane

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
Tyler, TX
I live in east Texas and my 5s shows 4G a lot when it should be LTE. If I turn LTE off and back on again, LTE shows up like it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.